Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Josie

Volleyball Middle School

We are just starting a new middle-school volleyball program at a very small school. Consequently, we have parent Coaches that don't know much about the rules. Would someone please respond to the following questions:

What, if any, differences are there in the rules between the middle-school, JV, and Varsity level? (i.e.: net height, ball size, rotation, etc.)

Does the "let serve" rule apply to any/all middle-school games?

Have they switched to rally scoring this year?

Josie,

I would suggest you check with whatever league or group you plan to play with to see what rules they play. Here in North Carolina, our middle schools play NAGWS (National Association for Girls and Women in Sports - phone 1-800-245-7853) or NFSHSA ( generally just called "federation") (( National Federation of State High School Associations - sorry, no 800 # 1-317-972-6900)

Lots of differences in ref'ing between the two. We play rally scoreing to 25 for 2 games and to 15 for a tie-breaker if necessary. I was not thrilled with rally scoring at first, but after 2 years, I would recommend it to you for your level.

As far as team systems go, I prefer the 4-2 to start with. Any other system places to much pressure on your return of serve and doesn't let your players learn all the fundamentals. Lots of luck!