Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
PrimeMover

I Need Some Running Back Blocking Drills

I've got a set of running backs that would rather avoid or play pat-a-cake with defenders than actually hit and try to drive them... The one thing I'm sure of is that simply telling them to block their guy does virtually no good.

Can anyone suggest some drills that might help...

...mind you, there's no guarantee that the person who's coaching the backs will pay any attention to what I suggest, but if that's the case, I'll just store any responses away until I have the authority to set policy.

oh... we're talking 5th and 6th graders here

Thanks!

We have had a similar problem; backs not completing down field blocks. Our blast plays were blocked fine by our backs inside the tackles; however, our plays outside the tackles needed serious work. The plays I wanted to focus on were blocking for our sweeps and crash sweeps.

The main defensive positions in these plays are the near side corner and defensive end, linebacker, and safety. I brought over the starting kids in those positions. Without an offensive line, we ran each of our sweeps and discussed what went wrong/right with how each back executed his block. By eliminating the offensive line and minimizing the defense to just the players involved in the downfield scheme, we were better able to isolate and fix our shortcomings.

Here are some of my findings:

1. The backs knew who to hit, just didn't execute well most times
  2. If the blocking back went after his block with a "full head of steam", he typically missed terribly
  3. The closer the ball carrier was to the lead blocker on a sweep, the better the block (actually this is true for blast plays on linebackers as well)

Downfield blocking is the most difficult in football. It is imperative that the ball carrier helps the down field blocker; particularly with the corner. If the ball carrier is close to the lead blocker responsible for blocking the corner, the block is much more effective. This took a little work to demonstrate, but once we implemented this our blocking improved dramatically. The rationale: the defensive player needs to get near the ball carrier to tackle him and will try and avoid the blocker by movement. The closer the distance between the blocker and the ball carrier the smaller amount of area the defender can use to "dance" around the block without taking himself out of the play.

Also, If the ball carrier makes a cut that forces or tempts the corner to commit himself closer to the blocker, the block is much more effective.

if the blocking back is shown the importance of just getting a body on the defensive player rather than trying to drive block, the block is much more effective.

Hope this helps