Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Hmedad

Interested In Coaching 6th Grade Football For 1st Time In 07 Season

Hi,

My son played in a local 5th grade football league and I have the urge to Coach 6th grade football next year. I have a year to prepare and have no previous experience outside of drawing plays in the dirt as a kid and being a lifelong football fan. I have Coached Basketball ( 4th, 5th & 6th grade) so I am somewhat familar with the challenges of coaching young kids. What resources would you recommend (books, videos, websites, etc.)? I want to do this right for the kids (make it fun, help them develop as responsible Human beings and make them competitive) so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! My son is a 130 lb Nose Tackle so I at least have that to start with. Also any advice on drafting kids? I would like to feature a heavily run oriented offense with some simple passing plays (Slant, Wide Receiver screen & Halfback pass) to help keep it fun and help make us not so predictable.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Taylor

Hi,

My son played in a local 5th grade football league and I have the urge to Coach 6th grade football next year. I have a year to prepare and have no previous experience outside of drawing plays in the dirt as a kid and being a lifelong football fan. I have Coached Basketball ( 4th, 5th & 6th grade) so I am somewhat familar with the challenges of coaching young kids. What resources would you recommend (books, videos, websites, etc.)? I want to do this right for the kids (make it fun, help them develop as responsible Human beings and make them competitive) so any help would be GREATLY APPRECIATED!!!!! My son is a 130 lb Nose Tackle so I at least have that to start with. Also any advice on drafting kids? I would like to feature a heavily run oriented offense with some simple passing plays (Slant, Wide Receiver screen & Halfback pass) to help keep it fun and help make us not so predictable.

Thanks in advance,

Dan Taylor

Simply go to gregorydoublewing.com

look at his stuff, check out his links, Derek Wade has a book out called "Impact" I have not read it but I assume it is a good aid.

Congratulations on your decision. It's a very rewarding experience and some of the memories will last a lifetime. As for what resources you'll need you've started in the right place. Scoure the internet and of course learn everything you can about being a good football coach. There's just an awesome amount of information out there for you to study. When I was in your shoes I tried to swallow too much all at once. Pick an offense and defense stick with it and learn it to a T. Keep it simple there only 11yr olds. Most of all like I said pick and offense and defense, learn it, know why your running it, believe in it and convey this to your players. Make sure your practices are dynamic and move along at a good pace, no to little standing around. Different stations using drills that work the skills you'll use in a game. Know why your working a certain skill with the drill that you've decided to use. Starting out it seems like a lot but you have plenty of time to become a student of the game next year is a long way off but you've started now giving yourself as much time to learn the things you'll need to learn. Go ahead and e-mail me offline and I will send you all kinds of url's of different material.

Syn

synwave7@yahoo.com

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Dan Taylor

Coach,

This is a great place to start. As both Breck and Synwave stated do searches on the internet and read as much as you can then reread it. Get a bind and print out things that a relevent. Remember KISS...keep it simple stupid...the more complex your system is the less effective it will be with youth players. So find an offense and a defense that matches your coaching ability and your kid's abilities. Then learn everything you can about them. Don't be afraid to ask a question no matter how stupid you think it is...trust me I have asked some pretty dumb questions but in the long run you might be suprised at how many great answers and feedback you will get.

My site is a good resource...at least I hope it is. If you have any questions feel free to email me and I can point you to some great book resources as well. Start getting a library to gether of good coaching books on technique, skills, and such that you can reference. I probably reread about ten books every season and I am still amazed by what I learn and re-learned every year. Football is a great sport to coach but it is one of the most intensive to learn and teach.

Jack

Hi,

Thanks in advance,

Dan Taylor

Congrats on your decision to coach, I think that you will enjoy it tremendously. You will find that the internet has so much info that you can use, starting with this site. I would suggest read, read and read some more, and ask questions no matter how dump you think the question(s) maybe. I learn something new everyday, weather it’s from reading or asking other coaches questions. Feel free email me any questions. Michaels22@cox.net