Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach Ed

Defending The Sweep Left And Right....

I have had this problem for two years now and just can't seem to correct the problem. We are 4 sweeps from being 6-0 instead we are 3-3 this year. We have literally lost three games in the last minutes or at times we could have gone to win the game. The games we have lost were in OT or by less than a TD.

Currently, we run a 6-3-2 or a 7-3-1. Either way, our defensive ends are up and on the line trying to push the runner inside for the tackle. It seems that the ends either get tied up with the wing or end and get sucked in. Alot of times, the DE isn't in a good position and misses the tackle trying to make "Sportacenter" tackle. Without saying any more, they miss the tackle and the back gets great yardage and/or a TD. A What can I do to prevent this? Should I be doing some sort of drills, practice tech or what. We drive into their head not to get sucked in, watch the ball, and wait fot the runner to come to them and then "push em' in".

Please, what do you think. I told the D coach to run a 6-2-3 and play the safety pretty much as a QB spy or a "Troy Palomalu" type back. Let him free lance pretty much. He decided not to and we lost 6-0 on a sweep. I'm on the bridge ready to jump.....Please help.

Coach Ed :ph34r:

www.WestMifflinYouthFootball.Com

I have had this problem for two years now and just can't seem to correct the problem. We are 4 sweeps from being 6-0 instead we are 3-3 this year. We have literally lost three games in the last minutes or at times we could have gone to win the game. The games we have lost were in OT or by less than a TD.

Currently, we run a 6-3-2 or a 7-3-1. Either way, our defensive ends are up and on the line trying to push the runner inside for the tackle. It seems that the ends either get tied up with the wing or end and get sucked in. Alot of times, the DE isn't in a good position and misses the tackle trying to make "Sportacenter" tackle. Without saying any more, they miss the tackle and the back gets great yardage and/or a TD. A What can I do to prevent this? Should I be doing some sort of drills, practice tech or what. We drive into their head not to get sucked in, watch the ball, and wait fot the runner to come to them and then "push em' in".

Please, what do you think. I told the D coach to run a 6-2-3 and play the safety pretty much as a QB spy or a "Troy Palomalu" type back. Let him free lance pretty much. He decided not to and we lost 6-0 on a sweep. I'm on the bridge ready to jump.....Please help.

Ed,

The 63 and 71 are sound defenses for stopping the sweep. You should be running a drill that teaches your PSCB, PSDE, PSLB, MLB how shoot to the side line and either drive the runner to sideline or into the PSLB and MLB. The sweep is the homerun play in youth football you have to know how to stop it if you want to be successful as a youth coach.

I run the 63 and you are more then welcome to take a look at how we run it.

http://www.gregorydoublewing.com/Defense_63.pdf PASSWORD is: 63defense

If you have questions feel free to post them or emial me.

Jack

We run a 5-3.

The DE is the primary contain man and coached to penetrate first, with as little contact with TE/Slot as posible. Then read. Then tackle (or pursue through backfield).

The playside CB has to read the backfield. Once he sees run, defeat any block from SE/Flanker (usually pretty weak for young kids) and support the DE. Force play from outside-in so LBers and DL can support. Even if the playside CB follows a SE downfield, the Safety should be reading the run and moving up.

Safety moves up and fills in for playside CB.

Once the Backside CB reads the run, he takes deep pursuit down field.

Dont have Dends wait for ball carrier. Have them go through ouside shoulder(5) and box/contain aggresively. Its very hard for them to wait and not get kicked out. Good Luck and God Bless, Coach Reyes

I think almost any D can be sound against sweeps, but it really depends on your personnel. A 44 is just as good as a 63 or a 72. But remember, the more boys you commit to the LOS, the less secondary you have. If you have a concentration of smaller/faster guys and fewer big athletic studs, you might find that a 44 will work better for you. In a 72, if your end misses the tackle and that TB has a motor, you will have max 2 to 3 kids -spread out in the open field - who have a shot at saving the play. If you run a 44, the end can reep havoc simply by cutting the play in, stringing it out, or slowing the ball carrier down in leu of making the tackle. With 4 LBs and 3 DBs pursuing you still have a great shot at preventing a gain of yds even if your end misses.

A 44 is a more passive/reactive front and it allows for more mistakes at the LOS. I would only run a 62 or 73 if I had a really great pack of D Linemen.

Cheers,

dbcoach

I think almost any D can be sound against sweeps, but it really depends on your personnel. A 44 is just as good as a 63 or a 72. But remember, the more boys you commit to the LOS, the less secondary you have. If you have a concentration of smaller/faster guys and fewer big athletic studs, you might find that a 44 will work better for you. In a 72, if your end misses the tackle and that TB has a motor, you will have max 2 to 3 kids -spread out in the open field - who have a shot at saving the play. If you run a 44, the end can reep havoc simply by cutting the play in, stringing it out, or slowing the ball carrier down in leu of making the tackle. With 4 LBs and 3 DBs pursuing you still have a great shot at preventing a gain of yds even if your end misses.

A 44 is a more passive/reactive front and it allows for more mistakes at the LOS. I would only run a 62 or 73 if I had a really great pack of D Linemen.

Cheers,

dbcoach

I think you have to base all that off of the type of END play the defense uses (read, crash, box...etc). Also the level of play affects the front and most youth teams simply don't see a lot of passing and for the most part see compressed formations (double tight). I think if you have actually studied the 63 and 72 you would find that you can cover the sweep far more effectivily then the 44 does at the youth level. Unless you play a 44 stack and you stunt every play the 44 will never put the pressure on the LOS or behind the LOS that a 63 or a 72 does...just not enough man power. Most 44 have a very hard time playing against a compress front with double tight ends because of the end play, my opinion, unless they are willing to actually play a 62 like front...so the 44 basically becomes a 62 of some sort. With the average to above average youth level team it is better to play nine in the box and force the offense to do what it is not good at...pass.

Frankly most coaches that come out in a 44 at the youth level are trying to run a 43 with a safety up because that is what they see on Sunday and Saturday TV and have no idea how to coach it and they get walloped. I think with out the stunting and blitzing the 44 is a weak front unless you have four horses that can clog up two gaps or you have at six kids that can consistantly get in the backfield. Otherwise against a double tight front it can be long day...

My opinion though. Again it all depends on how you coach it. My first three years at the youth level after coaching HS ball we ran a 44 stack and we shifted into a wide tackle 6. I now run a 63 with a the MIKE at depth to play down hill and we can shift into a few different fronts for various offensive looks. I ran the 46 after running the 44 but I have found you need to many athletes to run the 46 and make it work against superior talent.

Jack

I think you have to base all that off of the type of END play the defense uses (read, crash, box...etc). Also the level of play affects the front and most youth teams simply don't see a lot of passing and for the most part see compressed formations (double tight). I think if you have actually studied the 63 and 72 you would find that you can cover the sweep far more effectivily then the 44 does at the youth level. Unless you play a 44 stack and you stunt every play the 44 will never put the pressure on the LOS or behind the LOS that a 63 or a 72 does...just not enough man power. Most 44 have a very hard time playing against a compress front with double tight ends because of the end play, my opinion, unless they are willing to actually play a 62 like front...so the 44 basically becomes a 62 of some sort. With the average to above average youth level team it is better to play nine in the box and force the offense to do what it is not good at...pass.

Frankly most coaches that come out in a 44 at the youth level are trying to run a 43 with a safety up because that is what they see on Sunday and Saturday TV and have no idea how to coach it and they get walloped. I think with out the stunting and blitzing the 44 is a weak front unless you have four horses that can clog up two gaps or you have at six kids that can consistantly get in the backfield. Otherwise against a double tight front it can be long day...

My opinion though. Again it all depends on how you coach it. My first three years at the youth level after coaching HS ball we ran a 44 stack and we shifted into a wide tackle 6. I now run a 63 with a the MIKE at depth to play down hill and we can shift into a few different fronts for various offensive looks. I ran the 46 after running the 44 but I have found you need to many athletes to run the 46 and make it work against superior talent.

Jack

Thanks Coach. I coach in a Canadian youth football league and I think our difference in opinion could be rooted there. I really like to get involved in these discussions because I find it quite educational but I sometimes post without thinking about how our game differs from the American game. This brings up a really interesting point with respect to systems...

In the Canadian game, we use a field that is 65 yds wide and you only get 3 downs. The ball is almost always spotted on a hashmark, wich is roughly 9 yds wide of mid field. This leaves you with a 42 yd flank on one side and a 24 yd flank on the other. We also play with 12 men. There are many other big differences but these points could be the main reason why we choose to run slightly different fronts. When we run what we might call a "44 Regular", we often use stunts as you say that turn that face into what could be considered a 62 or a 53, but we still have 2 safeties (AKA "D halfbacks") and 2 CB's. I have personally never seen a team come out with 7 defenseman on the LOS. I think if you tried that in our game you would have your butt handed to you by the middle of the first quarter. With that 42 yard flank and a couple of fast TBs (and maybe a screen pass or two in your playbook), you could effectively eliminate 6 of those 7 D linemen from the game every play. On the other hand, you would cram up the middle pretty well.

With a 42 yard flank to defend, I suppose that our D secondary would have a vastly different role to play than what you are used to seeing. Also, even at the youth level, you do see a fair amount of passing because we need to get 10 yds in 3 downs. That being said, the sweep is still the bread-and-butter when it comes making the "big play". So, my apparent ignorance is more a product of the game I play than that of inexperience and watching too much Monday Night Football. Nonetheless, ignorance, it is (I'll admit that).

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.. It would be really great to set up an exhibition game against some of our American brothers and play US rules for one half and Canadian rules for the the other. I think the kids and the coaches would enjoy that allot.

Cheers,

dbcoach

Jack

Thanks Coach. I coach in a Canadian youth football league and I think our difference in opinion could be rooted there. I really like to get involved in these discussions because I find it quite educational but I sometimes post without thinking about how our game differs from the American game. This brings up a really interesting point with respect to systems...

In the Canadian game, we use a field that is 65 yds wide and you only get 3 downs. The ball is almost always spotted on a hashmark, wich is roughly 9 yds wide of mid field. This leaves you with a 42 yd flank on one side and a 24 yd flank on the other. We also play with 12 men. There are many other big differences but these points could be the main reason why we choose to run slightly different fronts. When we run what we might call a "44 Regular", we often use stunts as you say that turn that face into what could be considered a 62 or a 53, but we still have 2 safeties (AKA "D halfbacks") and 2 CB's. I have personally never seen a team come out with 7 defenseman on the LOS. I think if you tried that in our game you would have your butt handed to you by the middle of the first quarter. With that 42 yard flank and a couple of fast TBs (and maybe a screen pass or two in your playbook), you could effectively eliminate 6 of those 7 D linemen from the game every play. On the other hand, you would cram up the middle pretty well.

With a 42 yard flank to defend, I suppose that our D secondary would have a vastly different role to play than what you are used to seeing. Also, even at the youth level, you do see a fair amount of passing because we need to get 10 yds in 3 downs. That being said, the sweep is still the bread-and-butter when it comes making the "big play". So, my apparent ignorance is more a product of the game I play than that of inexperience and watching too much Monday Night Football. Nonetheless, ignorance, it is (I'll admit that).

I have said it before, and I'll say it again.. It would be really great to set up an exhibition game against some of our American brothers and play US rules for one half and Canadian rules for the the other. I think the kids and the coaches would enjoy that allot.

Cheers,

dbcoach

DB,

There big differences in both the games. I think I would not being playing a 63 front with that big of a field to defend. But I also don't think you would be passing with 6 to 8 year olds to often either and be more of sweep team. The pass is just to inconsistant at that level...although I have seen some pretty good teams with some talented kids at 8 and 9 chew up the field passing...but that is very rare. The American Football Field is 100 yards long and I beleive 54 yards wide (I might be a yard off + or -) and depending on if you play NCAA or NFHs the hash can vary but we would never have 40+ yards to defend on one side.

With an American 44 you are in Cover 1 or Cover 3 as a base and of course you can roll and shift into other coverages but that is pretty much the base coverage.

If I played Canadian I would run spread and use the field to my advantage as well I think.

In the 63 that I run I use a spill and kill method with my ends so my ends CRASH into the backfield and we force the sweep to get more depth as our force and shoot defenders move to drive him to the side line or kill the play in the backfield. I hardly ever teach a box or a read unless it is an adjustment cal as I like to put pressure on the backfield as quickly as possible and force a bad play. My coverage we use two bandits (CB) in inverted coverage with my MIKE at depth to basically play a TAMPA cover 2 (cover 3) and take away the obvious youth pass patterns as we apply pressure to the run.

Jack