Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Identcc

Effective Substitution Strategies

I'm a first year youth (5-7 year old) flag football coach and I'm looking for a good substitution strategy for 7-on-7 to ensure everyone plays, and that everyone plays every position, both defense and offense. Any ideas?

We had this issue 2 seasons ago and I got tired of depending on the parents doing the PAR sheets for an update. So last season I created a WORD Document thats a basic data landscape formatted sheet.

Now, we play a 7-9 yr old MiteyMite (entry/instructional) level thats 11-on-11 with modified rules.

I put the offensive starters and the backups on one sheet and the defensive starters and backups on another. I have an off assistant coach do the off sheet & def assistant coach do the def sheet. I tell them I want the backups rotated in (in mass) every 3 plays, and rotated out after 3 plays until everyone has there minimum plays in (in our league its usually 10-12 plays each). Once PAR is met I rotate them as I see fit, based on player fatigue, hi-score induced scrimage (28 point lead).

Each line looks like this:

|Player name | 12 | 11 | 10 | 9 | 8 | 7 | 6 | 5 | 4 | 3 | 2 | 1 | <--- Header of page only

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

QB - Billy | | | | | | | | | | | | | <--- Use as many lines as you have players

----------------------------------------------------------------------------

Start at the right marking off plays, including special team (those count towards PAR in our league).

If your league doesn't have rules mandated play totals you may need to experiment to find the right

total to use for your situation.

We don't have huge rosters, last year I had only 3 off bu's and 4 def bu's (roster of 27, we're allowed 35).

I hope you and others find this helpful, I know I did!!