Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Laurainsa

Warming Up

:blink: I have been a volleyball coach for 2 years, I coached babies last year which wasn't hard but now I have a 5th grade team of experienced players. Other then stretching leg muscles on the floor and running laps what are some good warm-up techniques to get the girls to move and be flexible on the court? Thanks

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays

I have my girls line up at the 10 ft line and go through their hit approach and block approach. Each girl does her hit approach at the right, middle and left of the court and then return to the back of the line to begin blocking in the right, middle and left of the court. each girl does each approach twice hit hit block block. when run propperly it should only take about 5 min. Onece the first girl has done her hit approach at the left of the court she runs to the middle and the next girl in line begins this way there are almost always three girls approach ing at the same time. it gets them used to being close to the net and helps them learn not to run into it. you could have the girls split up and run the drill on each side of the net so that they become used to their opponents blocking and being up close. it also goes quicker that way.

Our team's warmup routine has changed quite a bit over the last few years. We now start practice with a Hi-5 with the coach that says the player is ready to get serious. From there, our white board will say something pretty close to this: 5&5,4 lines easy, 2-2-2-2, 3-3-3-3, 5-3-3-5, combo - stevenson without the ball / off-the-net L-M-R x3ea., at least 3 right hand/right step jump serves from behind attack line.

Tutoring by request.

Which means: 5 setups & 5 pushups, running from midcourt to each sideline and back to the opposite sideline four times, two step slidestep block at the net, left-right-left-right, three step jump block, l-r-l-r, a five step jump block (two slide steps plus three step jump block) then two three step jump blocks in the opposite direction, ending with another five step jump block. After about a week, the girls figured out that these jumping drills at the net could be done with girls on both sides of the net and done at the same time. Since we play one player's selection of music (yes, it's pretty loud) during warmups, they have turned it into almost a dance routine, and it's pretty neat. The combo drill is simply putting an attack approach at left, middle and right together with the corresponding movement off the net. When we started practicing, we were very specific about the footwork we wanted, but since they were all working together, it took almost no time before it became second nature. (mostly :) The right hand/right step jump serve drill is probably what you already use to teach your players to jump serve. I also include it in warmups for everyone, even those who can only serve underhanded, because it leads them in to overhand hitting for floor spikes, regular spikes, and of course jump serves. You may want to keep an eye on your players if you decide to use this, because like serving in general, they really like to do it, and it can be fairly hard on young shoulders. That's also why they are to be done from somewhere just behind the attack line during warmups. We end warmups with a short selection of stretches. ( Based on recent literature, it seems that unless they have a personal flexibility problem, most eleven, twelve and thirteen year olds do not need much stretching. Just be sure that if and when they do stretch, that their bodies are warmed up, probably to the sweating point.)

For game warmups we also add ball throws: chest passes, soccer throwins, right and left hand overhand throws, toss, bump, catch, toss, set, catch, then bump/set circles.

It doesn't seem to be all this long or complicated when we do it at practice, hope it scare you off just reading it. john

Warming up is certainly a foggy issue!

The typical thought of 'stretching out' should actually not be included within the context of a pre-game routine. Rather than being injury preventative, statically stretching (holding stretches) can inhibit CNS activity and render the body more prone to injury. Static stretching causes the parasympathetic system to engage in full force which 'turns off' the natural readiness ability of the body.

Here is a common pre-game routine I use with athlete:

1. Multi-directional movement

2. ROM exercises

3. Sport specific movements

If you need clarification on any of these, please let me know.

- Brian Grasso

www.DevelopingAthletics.com

Brian,

You took the words right out of my (usually big) mouth.

The one thing I left out of my warm up schedule is that the players do a series of body circles, top down, which includes neck, shoulder/arm/wrist, waist, knee & ankle. We also use these as part of warm down.

Sounds like I'd better check out your website.

thanks for the input. john

laurainsa,

I may be reiterating here but just in case.....

Core Conditioning Drills, Sport Specific Drills, Plyometrics are all becoming very standard at all levels of sports. Our baseball team would not think of starting practice any other than the following....

Line em up 3 to 4 groups of 3 to 4 players each facing one way.

1 2 3 4

1 2 3 4

1 2 3 4

I'm sure you got the idea without my silly illustration but just in case there you go.

You could have them....

1. run 10 yrds there then 10 yrds back

2. Run 10yrds there then 10yrds back (running backwards)

3. high skips there then high skips back

4. Kereokes there then kereokes back

5. butt kickers there then butt kickers back

6. lung walk there then lunge walk back

Each group of 4 gets about half way there then you blow the whistle again and the next group starts then you blow the whistle again and the next group starts till all players are lined up facing the other way now.

Then each group goes back 1 by 1.

In baseball we call this form running drills.

In football they are commonly referred to as grass drills.

Consistency and routine are crucial in any sport as far as practice goes. For our baseball team we start practice and end practice the same way everyday. Consistency. The worst thing, IMO, you can do is come to practiced un-prepared. Show your team you 've taken the time to prepare a lesson plan, practice plan whatever you want to call it. have it ready and show them who is in charge and show them your prepared.

Syn

Following the laps have them do the following across the court

High knees /jog back

But kicks/ jog back

Deion Sanders (goose step)/ jog back

Shuffle across and back

Carioca with emphasis on high knee in front across and back

lunge walk/ jog back

back pedal/ jog back

10 squats

10 good mornings (keep back flat, move from the hips not back)

3 tuck jumps (land and explode up)

Jake

Belly Double Circle Tag

Choose one player to be the runner and one player to be the chaser. All other players are to lie in a big circle in groups of two. The players lay side-by-side then a space then the next two players with their heads facing the center of the circle and lying on their bellies. On go, the chaser will try to tag the runner. The runner will run on the outside of the circle and try to find a space to lie down next to one set of players. The player on the opposite side of that group will have to get up and start running from the chaser. If the runner is tagged then they are to turn around and chase the chaser. The new runner will find a spot to lie down and the player on the opposite side will start running because they are the new runner. Can be used by a coach to condition any young athletes.

Bomb Squad

Required: Large play area, Fun Gripper Football or FlingSock

Players: Large groups

Start with two teams. One team is playing offense the other is defense. The bomb squad is the offense and has less people than the defense. The bomb squad will devise a plan of how to get the bomb to the goal. The bomb can be anything (good things to play with are the Fun Gripper Football or the FlingSock). The defense sets up men to guard the goal, which can be anything, but it has to be big so it can be hit by the bomb. The defense sets up men all over the boundaries (big field is good or woods). The bomb squad tries to get past all the guards and hit the goal. If a member of the bomb squad is captured then they go to jail which defense should guard also. The captured player can get out if his/her teammate taps them. If the goal is hit, bomb squad wins but if all the bomb squad members are caught, defense wins. To make it even more interesting or harder, send two bomb squads with one ball each, which makes it harder for the defense.

You can visit http://www.hockeystar.org if you want some more drills!!

Just to let you know that the information that was provided by Hockeystar 6/9/04 was taken from Fun-Attic Inc http://www.funattic.com and the source was not correctly sited.

Our site provides over 350 games ideas and 150 other resources. You are more than welcome to use the site, but are not allowed to pretend that it came for you.

The information was taken word for word.

Thanks again and Happy Holidays!!!

Fun-Attic Sports & Toys http://www.funattic.com

Best Bet Educational Site "USA Today"

Yahoo Internet Life July 2002 - "50 Most Incredibly Useful Sites"

American School Librarian Assoc July 2002 - "Top Ten Websites for Families"

Robin Scheel

President