Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
beadlecoach

Lose Every Game

Hello everyone. As a father, and coach, I invited my daughters' 6th grade soccer friends to play YMCA basketball during their offseason. It took some selling, none had ever played b-ball previously, but the parents loved the idea of keeping the girls together and trying something new. I've taught all the fundamentals; (previous varsity 9-12 girls coaching experience). I keep everything very KISS, and the girls have improved well and are really enjoying this new sport. My problem is, we have yet to win a game, at 0-7, we don't get killed, and some are close, but how can we get to the next step, win. We will play these same teams again after Christmas and I'm looking for some advice. I run a 2-3 zone, (KISS) and a 1-3-1 offense. We don't run any plays since they have enough trouble just setting screens, and moving. I have 9 guards and only 1 girl of height.

Rebounding is one problem, after someone shoots, they just stand there. Also, they don't react to passes very well, again, just stand there. They are not physical either, since soccer teaches them "hands off". It's been a trial, but again, I'm just looking for some advice.

beadlecoach

Rebounding is one problem, after someone shoots, they just stand there. Also, they don't react to passes very well, again, just stand there. They are not physical either, since soccer teaches them "hands off". It's been a trial, but again, I'm just looking for some advice.

With regards to winning v losing, I'm guessing your team is probably running into some teams who've played together since 1st/2nd grade. Not sure how much of that you'll be able to overcome in two seasons of b-ball.

Couple of drills that might help you. We run a drill called "blood and guts" which is basically every person for themselves. We play it with three people, the coach shoots, and whoever rebounds is on offense, the other two are defense. Person who scores the most baskets in an allotted amount of time wins. We let it get pretty aggressive with regards to defense, allowing more fouls than normal.

Another drill we run is called the "hustle drill", players lay on their backs - two teams of 3 or 2, coach throws ball up in air and blows whistle, players scramble to get the ball, first team to get ball is offense, other team is defense. A variation on that drill is having all the players on one baseline, then placing all the balls (less one) at mid court. Upon the coach's whistle, the players scramble to grab a ball. Since there's one more player than there are balls, someone will be left out if they don't hustle.

The more 'game-like' drills you run for rebounding, being more agressive, hustling, etc. the better, imo.

I think it's smart to have kids who play one sport mix it up with other sports.

Coach R

Hey, Dad:

Bottom line--these girls have no basketball knowledge/experience, consequently no savvy for the game. They are doing well to stay with other teams. They are neophytes--like 7-8 y.o. trying to play for the first time. But they do have athletic skills, even if they don't have good "hand" skills. Soccer has a lot of similarities to basketball, just played on a larger field. They play zone and man defense. They have to stay between the ball and the goal on defense. They have to cover players off the ball. They fast break and fill "lanes" with the soccer ball. On offense, they have spacing and passing to move the ball toward the goal. They even do a weave in soccer. I have used all these things in the past to get soccer, field hockey and ice hockey players to relate to the game of basketball. Teach them good defense and how to fast break. Teach them how to finish a break and work on rebounding and all kinds of finishing techniques. Next year, they'll be that much better. It's always a learning curve. Teaching a soccer player, who hasn't got hand coordination, how to shoot will take time. Best luck to a Dad who cares and is trying to provide a wonderful experience for the girls.

Yours in Sport & Spirit,

Coach Ronn