Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
a32cowgirl

Braeaking Double Dribble Habit

I am coaching a 4/5 grade coed youth team and have one very energentic young man who constantly double dribbles by carring the ball or stopping and starting again, no matter how many times I correct him he doesn't even realize he is doing it, does anyone have any ideas on how to break this habit. HELP

I am coaching a 4/5 grade coed youth team and have one very energentic young man who constantly double dribbles by carring the ball or stopping and starting again, no matter how many times I correct him he doesn't even realize he is doing it, does anyone have any ideas on how to break this habit. HELP

I'd think that every time he does it you would stop the play and make him start over. Keep reminding him.

Here's another approach, teach him the skill to stop and keep dribbling. We ran a drill where the players would have to run down the court while dribbling (2 at a time side by side). When the coach shouted for the kids to stop they'd have to stop moving forward but maintain their dribble. It's kind of like a red-light green-light game except you ask them to focus on keep dribbling.

Edit:

As for carrying the ball, I'd say that at age it should be easy to break. The kids that I've seen carrying the ball (7-8 year olds) aren't told not to do it enough. Whenever it happens (without exception) stop the play or drill, walk over to him and explain that he absolutely cannot carry it. Keep putting him into drill or scrimmage situations where he's likely to do it AND immediately stop play when it happens. Do this over and over until he stops doing it. When he stops his dribble and doesn't do it make it a point to give him positive reinforcement, acknowledge that he's doing it correctly.

Also, I think it's important to teach him what to do when he stops dribbling. Give him options which are basically shooting or passing. Teach him how to use his pivot foot. The reason he carries the ball is because he doesn't think about his other options.

When we have a kid with this habit, the first thing we try is to have him dribble with one hand behind his back. The next step is constant re-inforcement during practice - "OK, Johnny, you gave up your dribble, now you have to pass or shoot." Don't wait for him to make the mistake, give him direction right away so that it gets ingrained. Anticipate and pay attention. Remember to give positive re-inforcement every time he does the right thing, "That's the way, Johnny, good pass (or good shot)."

If you have an assistant, have the assistant ride herd on him for a scrimmage or two, just standing next to him and giving him gentle reminders.

The worst thing is to ignore it. Make sure he knows what a double dribble and carry mean, and what the penalty is. "OK, Johnny, that's a carry. Now the other team gets the ball."

It sinks in after awhile. Be patient.

Hopefully you have refs that call double dribbling during the games. I had a situation with my 7/8 yr olds where the refs were letting all kinds of things slide, so I made a phone call to Athletic Director of our program. Now we have refs that stop the game to explain double dribbling, traveling, etc. and after a few times start giving the ball to the other team.

I concur with what the others have said so far, you have to stop the drill/scrimmage when it happens and correct the action. Takes a lot of patience and consistency, but eventually they learn.

Thanks for the input I guess I just need to be patient, we are trying a few of the suggestions.

Hopefully you have refs that call double dribbling during the games. I had a situation with my 7/8 yr olds where the refs were letting all kinds of things slide, so I made a phone call to Athletic Director of our program. Now we have refs that stop the game to explain double dribbling, traveling, etc. and after a few times start giving the ball to the other team.

I concur with what the others have said so far, you have to stop the drill/scrimmage when it happens and correct the action. Takes a lot of patience and consistency, but eventually they learn.