Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach Stanley

5-3 Defense

What's up guys, I've looked through the forum and found some information on the 5-3 but I'm looking for a playbook, or something pretty simple, I'm coaching 8 and 9 year olds and this is my first year coaching so I need something simple. We can blitz and I have some pretty aggressive players I just need to get the plays together. Any help will be greatful. Thnks

What's up guys, thank for the information in the early post, next question. I need blitz help in the 5-3 what is the best blitz scheme?

Coach, me and my coaches found that the less you blitz with 8-9 year olds the better they do. We got burnt almost every time that we blitzed. The less that they have to think the better. As long as our defense forced everything inside we were alright. If you blitz to much kids will be out of position to often. We would put or stronger/faster LB to the wide side of the field.

What's up guys, thank for the information in the early post, next question. I need blitz help in the 5-3 what is the best blitz scheme?

Coach, me and my coaches found that the less you blitz with 8-9 year olds the better they do. We got burnt almost every time that we blitzed. The less that they have to think the better. As long as our defense forced everything inside we were alright. If you blitz to much kids will be out of position to often. We would put or stronger/faster LB to the wide side of the field.

I'm going to have to disagree here. I have had GREAT sucess in blitzing. It all depends on what blitz you call. I have been the Def coor for my team for the past 4 years. I teach it so they have fun.. the more fun they have the better they respond. Let me know if you guys want some help.. Send me a message And I can share some things with you.

I run a 5-4 for a 7-8 year old team. We choose not to use a safety. But even then, everytime we blitzed, we'd give a first down up. Our defense didn't allow a touchdown all year and only 10 first downs. We had a perfect balance of speed, talent, and size. This is the reason we went undefeated this season.

I run a 5-3 defense with a 10U team. I had great success all year blitzing and we pounded almost every Offense we played. When we made it to the playoffs we lost a heartbreaking close game and gave up a lot more points then usual. Looking back on it I know I blitzed way too much even though it was not working. I not only tired out my Defense but put them out of position on many occasions. I think I felt that the blitz would eventually start to work like it always had in the past, lesson learned. Does anyone have any thoughts on how often a team should blitz, I am an aggressive coach but maybe I should tone down my blitzes at times. Thanks

I run a 5-3 defense with a 10U team. I had great success all year blitzing and we pounded almost every Offense we played. When we made it to the playoffs we lost a heartbreaking close game and gave up a lot more points then usual. Looking back on it I know I blitzed way too much even though it was not working. I not only tired out my Defense but put them out of position on many occasions. I think I felt that the blitz would eventually start to work like it always had in the past, lesson learned. Does anyone have any thoughts on how often a team should blitz, I am an aggressive coach but maybe I should tone down my blitzes at times. Thanks

I don't think it's really how often to blitz but where to blitz. You know in a short yardage situation most likely it's coming up the middle. Blitz there. And every now and then when you want, and you know the ball is going outside or you read pass bring the LB of the corner. I don't blitz every play, I also think sometimes you can put a kid out of position or he will just over run the ball. We do it to cause anxiety on the other sideline. Just something we use to try to control the tempo of the game. So read the offense and blitz when you know you can put a kid in a good spot to make a play.

I don't think it's really how often to blitz but where to blitz. You know in a short yardage situation most likely it's coming up the middle. Blitz there. And every now and then when you want, and you know the ball is going outside or you read pass bring the LB of the corner. I don't blitz every play, I also think sometimes you can put a kid out of position or he will just over run the ball. We do it to cause anxiety on the other sideline. Just something we use to try to control the tempo of the game. So read the offense and blitz when you know you can put a kid in a good spot to make a play.

great post Y-Jackets..in a game and even having a good scouting report use your judgement when Blitzing. Know the down and distance, wide side of field, short side of field and Hashes-these all come into play...yeah blitzing is fun for kids, but they need to taught HOW to do it. If they don't have it down PAT blitzing could be a "bad" thing. I love being aggressive too, but put the kids in the best position and just go with the flow....

The 53 defense is a great defense for youth football. Though, it is very common-I see it at least 5 times a year. My defensive coordinator runs the 53 as well. Check these blitz that will eat up those common sweep & power plays that you will see at that age level:

53 Defense-loop blitz

Good Luck,

Coach Jeff