Y-coach.com - Forum
Orange

Youth Flag Football

Another flag pulling drill I used is to have the defender stationary. The other kids are in a line and then proceed (one at a time) to run right past the defender such that the defender does not have to move to pull the flags. The trick is that the kids will be running very fast when the defender is trying to make the pull. It teaches eye hand coordination and quickness. At first have the runners going about 1/2 or 2/3 speed then speed it up to full speed if the defender can handle it.

You mentioned my favorite flag pulling drill, the one with the runners going through an area of cones while the defender tries to pull flags. I let and encourage my defenders to move up into the box to make the pulls. Some go so far as getting right in front of the runner before he can even start (I make them stand a little back when they get too close). I don't know if you've read my variation on this where I have the defender not pull flags but simply impede the runner by positioning his body in the way. That's an excellent drill to slow the runner down making a flag pull easier for the defender or help defenders.

Gah...Tough Game today.We lost 18-14...We were at the goaline with about 2 yards to get it and we couldn't put it in.My money play for that situation wouldn't have worked because we ran it and beat them with it so they were watching it for it right away.Were 0-4 on the year with 2 regular season games left then 2 playoff games.My first season with I9 Football 11-13/14.League is very competitive.I love it though.This is the best team talent wise i've ever had.Just so much competition..Any ideas on how to get the kids over that hump?All the close games we just cant get it done.I dont really know how to fix it because it we haven't got over the hump...

Thanks in advance...

Help me find a cool drill for the kids (6-8 year old). I coached soccer the past three seasons, and each time before a water break we played "Hit the coach."

I would not let anyone take a break until someone hit me with the ball (by kicking it). The kids absolutely loved it. If they were doing poorly, I would stand still and stick out my tongue at them, only to move at the last second, walk around with my eyes closed, etc. Again, it was great fun.

Anyone have ideas similar to this for flag football? Some sort of "pre-break" activity? Some of my guys can zip the ball, so think I'll stay away from "hit the coach. ;-) Any and all ideas are appreciated.

BTW, the posted in a separate thread introducing myself (http://www.y-coach.com/forums/index.php?showtopic=1301), but it appears this is the only thread that gets much action. ?

Thanks again!

Gah...Tough Game today.We lost 18-14...We were at the goaline with about 2 yards to get it and we couldn't put it in.My money play for that situation wouldn't have worked because we ran it and beat them with it so they were watching it for it right away.Were 0-4 on the year with 2 regular season games left then 2 playoff games.My first season with I9 Football 11-13/14.League is very competitive.I love it though.This is the best team talent wise i've ever had.Just so much competition..Any ideas on how to get the kids over that hump?All the close games we just cant get it done.I dont really know how to fix it because it we haven't got over the hump...

Thanks in advance...

At the 2 yard line I run a center drag and it always works. I'd run it 4 times if I had first and goal at the two. If they were looking for it then fake it right and go left, it's almost impossible to stop. You know the center drag right?

Thanks in advance...

At the 2 yard line I run a center drag and it always works. I'd run it 4 times if I had first and goal at the two. If they were looking for it then fake it right and go left, it's almost impossible to stop. You know the center drag right?

Yea thats my money play...We killed them with it all game and they double teamed our center in the goal line on all 4 plays so that wasn't an option...They tipped the ball before our WR caught it...Just heartbreaking but we played good.I cant complain at all about that loss because the kids played there heart out

Thanks in advance...

Yea thats my money play...We killed them with it all game and they double teamed our center in the goal line on all 4 plays so that wasn't an option...They tipped the ball before our WR caught it...Just heartbreaking but we played good.I cant complain at all about that loss because the kids played there heart out

You could line up a slot receiver and run a drag with him as well. That was one of my plays especially when they thought it was going to the center. Have the center and qb begin to drag left. You have a slot receiver left who crosses under the center, maybe a yard off the los which also give him an inadvertent pick fro the center and his double coverage. The qb then breaks right to run a quick drag with the slot guy and bam it should be wide open if the qb can pull the trigger quickly.

Thanks in advance...

You could line up a slot receiver and run a drag with him as well. That was one of my plays especially when they thought it was going to the center. Have the center and qb begin to drag left. You have a slot receiver left who crosses under the center, maybe a yard off the los which also give him an inadvertent pick fro the center and his double coverage. The qb then breaks right to run a quick drag with the slot guy and bam it should be wide open if the qb can pull the trigger quickly.

I came up with a play just like that almost.We are putting in today at practice...I'll post how it turns out...Man I just wish I would of thought it up during the game lol...I love the I9 league in my area.All the teams are good.

I know. It's easy to sit here at my computer with no pressure and think of these great plays. Lol! I don't know if I'd have come up with it in the middle of a game.

I know. It's easy to sit here at my computer with no pressure and think of these great plays. Lol! I don't know if I'd have come up with it in the middle of a game.

Yea so it worked well in practice so we will see how it runs in the game...Hopefully it does well...

We have our first game on Saturday (my first game as a flag football coach). Coaching 7-8 year olds. We've had four practices. My RB and QB have the plays we will execute down fairly well, the rest of the team are making great strides, so think we will be fine on offense (for our first game).

The last practice we worked on flag-pulling. I was a little surprised at how difficult it is for kids to pull flags. I hope it doesn't bite us, as I concentrated on offense the first three practices (so the kids at least knew how to get in a huddle, line up on the LOS, snap the ball and run a play). If anything we will have a shoot-out.

My RB in a BRUTE. He's 8 years old, about 5'0 and maybe 110 pounds (little body fat). Very fast with decent "moves" and likes to run through people. I suspect after I run it up the gut a few times, the other team will quickly become indimidated and no one will want to get near him. I've never thought much about "smash-mouth" (clean) flag-football, but I might send a message early in the game by running downhill plays to get in our opponent's heads.

My RB in a BRUTE. He's 8 years old, about 5'0 and maybe 110 pounds (little body fat). Very fast with decent "moves" and likes to run through people. I suspect after I run it up the gut a few times, the other team will quickly become indimidated and no one will want to get near him. I've never thought much about "smash-mouth" (clean) flag-football, but I might send a message early in the game by running downhill plays to get in our opponent's heads.

That might work a few times but most teams will have a strong flag puller in the middle or over center. If they don't they'll switch one down there once they see whats happening. I'm not saying don't try it but also don't rely on it either as that's very simple to shut down.

If the kid can catch have him run a few swing out passes in the left or right flat short of the los. From that play he'll be moving a lot quicker and will be harder to stop.

If the kid can catch have him run a few swing out passes in the left or right flat short of the los. From that play he'll be moving a lot quicker and will be harder to stop.

Hey Orange, the rules for I-9 are different. Had it called against me this past season trying to do such. They read as such:

• All passes must be forward and received beyond the line of scrimmage.

• Shovel passes are allowed but must be received beyond the line of scrimmage.

• Hand-offs, laterals, pitches and screen passes ARE allowed only behind the line of scrimmage. A lateral, pitch or screen pass must be behind the QB and not forward. If the ball hits the ground, it is a dead ball. If it is forward, it must pass the LOS.

Thanks for your replay. I'm definitely going to try it, but of course not rely on it. If what I've seen in practice/scrimmages is any indication, I think the oppossing team will be fairly intimidated by him. If their best players wants to man up and go after his flag, I have no doubt my RB will be ready for challenge. In fact, I'm already prepared for complaints from parents to the league thinking he is an older kid (something that happened to me last year when I had another "big" kid in soccer). This guy however, is 8 but could easily pass for 13.

What that, my playbook is designed as such so that each player has a running play designed specifically for him (save for the C who cannot take a hand-off) . Instead of switching players in/out of different positions, my philosophy is to allow them to "master" their primary position and execute plays against that. Thus my z receiver might not have the best hands on the team and might not catch a pass, but I will at least call an end-around so he can run with the ball. I would rather the kids play (and hopefully win) by being smart and running very disciplined, crisp, plays--instead of just running around and playing "street" ball. And by allowing them (at this age at least) to focus on a single position without sacrificing their potential, it seems like a win-win. Any physical prowress we have will be a bonus.

I do have some swing passes, shovel (shuffle) passes, screens, etc for him, but feel his momentum is at his best running through the 1 hole out of the I-formation (and as we know speed + mass=power).

As mentioned, I think defense is going to be our weak link, at least for the first game. My hope is that their instincts take over as I don't think they are disciplined enough yet to run a zone (although we will try). Players can rush after five seconds, and I will let the flow of the game dictate how often we rush. I'm fairly agile and feel I know football well (I played through the collegiate level) so I have no doubt we will learn a lot after our first game and adjust thinks accordingly. I'll chime in after our game to let you all know how we fared.

I'm very excited about tomorrow's game and my #1 focus is to ensure all the kids have a blast (win or lose). I'll do some unorthodox things during the game to keep it fun--not sure what yet. Last year in soccer I would rush on to the field with a giant "machine gun" water gun and soak any of my players after he scored a goal. The kids (on both teams) got a huge kick out of it. I had parents from the opposing team come up to me after the games asking for my contact info because they wanted me their kids to be on my team in subsequent seasons. Having fun and learning is what it's all about--and that includes me. ;-) Thanks again

I run swings & flats all the time in my I-9 Leage and never have an issue.Just get him pass the line of scrimmage and it will be super easy lol...My RB catches at least 4-5 of these per game and has open field for his speed to get going.

Well, my plan worked. :-)

First play from scrimmage (I-Formation: Left Run), 60 yard Touchdown.

Second play from scrimmage (I-Formation: Left Run), 60 yard Touchdown.

Third play from scrimmage (I-Formation: Left Run), 60 yard Touchdown.

First three plays---three Touchdowns! By this point, it was clear the opposition simply could not stop my running back, so with our three TD lead we went to our fourth play (which was not to my RB) and gained about 20 yards. Long story short, we had only eight plays in this game, and scored TDs on five of them.

Defensively (which is what I was concerned about) we pitched a shutout. The reason we had only eight plays is because the other team had the ball 90% of the game. Moving it a few yards at a time--then we'd clamp down at the goal line. They did not throw the ball once (very weird) but my kids were VERY aggressive and we made quite a few stops behind the LOS.

I feel bad because I wanted to get all the kids touches in this game, but what can you do when you are scoring on virtually every play. I'm certain we'll face a better team, but so far after the first game I am proud of my kids and all the hard work they have put is beginning to pay off.

Thanks!

Do you guys ever "scout" your opponents? I have quite a few games this year where the team I am playing the following week plays right before or after us. I'm thinking about sticking around and checking them out (see who their better athletes are, which plays they prefer, the type of defense they run, etc.). Then we will practice for that during the week.

Also, I'm wondering how many practices do you guys conduct each week? We have three. My son and I practice each night (same place/time), and the parents know this and will sometimes bring their kids to these extra practices.

Another question: do you guys script your plays? I scripted my first five plays for our first game yesterday, and it seemed to work well. I'm going to do this again but with a different approach by creating "classes" of plays. For example, I'll have 2/3 plays that I will run in subsequent order depending on the situation. e.g. End-around, End-around, Bootleg (with fake hand-off to Receiver running End-around).

In our first game we ran our very basic plays (only got to run eight plays). We did execute very sharply--all the kids held their assignements to perfection--and even the referee was telling me impressed he was and said it looked like a "pro-style offense". Of course the kids get ALL the credit--we had five practices prior to the first game and they all worked very hard.

Seeing as they did so well with our "basic" plays, I'm going to incorporate some of the more complex plays this week as well. We'll try our reverse, start pulling guards on misdirections, and maybe try the flea-flicker. I have stressed to the kids from day one that regardless if they have the ball or not, they ALL play a key role on *every* play, and I make a big deal on everything from a RB taking a fake-hand off, to influence blocking on counter-plays. As an example, in the huddle I'll say to one of my receivers who might run a fake-hand off on the called play, "I can't believe how good you are at faking out the defense like that, let me see you do that again", etc. and I can tell it helps them really buy into it.

If I've learned one thing thus far it is that--in the huddle, I go around to each player and "remind" him of his responsibility and say things like "I need you to make sure no one get's Scott's flag on this play so make sure you block your man to the left." This as opposed with "Just block somebody." After our game yesterday I gave the game ball to 'Everyone that blocked--because without that beautiful blocking we would not have won' and made a big deal about doing the "dirty work". I could see in their eyes how proud they were of themselves even though some of them did not get to touch the ball.

On Defense yesterday we dominated (which surprised me) at I was whooping and hollering at them during the game how tencious their defense was. One of my players (my son, actually) started chanting "Defense! Defense! Defense!", then my whole defense started chanting it. They started doing it before every play. You should have seen the other team, I think it really creeped them out---but we were having fun, and that is what it's all about. Dang, I love coaching. ;-)

Awesome to hear...I usually check out the team i'm playing the following week.But everyone in our league does that lol so its not just me.I script our first 3 plays.Then go from there.I let my QB call the plays.I gave him an armband and he has his choice.Hes the smartest QB i've ever had so i definitely let him make the call.I threw in more complex things after I saw they could handle them.Give it a shot.You'll be surprised how much your kids can do.

When I had my team play in the I-9 weekend tournament I scouted several of my opponents but in the Y league regular season I don't.

Our team practiced once a week.

Typically I'll script 5-7 plays and run from that but last season I found myself picking plays in the huddle based on the defense, yardage, etc. I felt comfortable making quick decisions whereas in prior years I liked the script because I had a problem making a quick decision.

You league allows blocking? I'm curious in what form. Can they make contact or do they set a pick? Also, is it 5-on-5 or something else?

A final bit of advice from experience. We blew out quite a few of our opponents because the experience/ ability level was much less than ours. Constantly pound on your team to get better despite how much you win buy. Eventually you'll run into a good team and you don't want to be overly confident.

When I had my team play in the I-9 weekend tournament I scouted several of my opponents but in the Y league regular season I don't.

Our team practiced once a week.

Typically I'll script 5-7 plays and run from that but last season I found myself picking plays in the huddle based on the defense, yardage, etc. I felt comfortable making quick decisions whereas in prior years I liked the script because I had a problem making a quick decision.

You league allows blocking? I'm curious in what form. Can they make contact or do they set a pick? Also, is it 5-on-5 or something else?

A final bit of advice from experience. We blew out quite a few of our opponents because the experience/ ability level was much less than ours. Constantly pound on your team to get better despite how much you win buy. Eventually you'll run into a good team and you don't want to be overly confident.

I coach in the I-9 also...Same rules.5 on 5.I have them set picks but they really aren't you know?its just something we do...lol

Orange,

To answer some of your questions:

1. Blocking is allowed. I am teaching the kids "chop-blocking" right now (just kidding). Actually it is "hands-closed, shoulder width apart." My focus now is more on their blocking assignments (influence blocking, angles, reading the defense on pulls, etc.). The technique is pretty much "get in the opponents' way" as opposed with allowing pancake-type blocks. I started teaching second-level blocking in our last practice, and it was a thing of beauty to see three kids running down the field with my RB looking for someone to block. Actually I was surprised at how much contact was "allowed" with respect to blocking, and that is fine with me.

2. It is 8 on 8. The field is 60x40.

3. Regarding being overly confident, that will never be a problem with any of my teams. The very first thing that came out of my mouth at our team kick-off meeting was, "I would rather us lose playing sound, fundamental football, than win playing with instincts." By that, I am not coaching to win football games, but rather to teach football. I firmly believe at this age mental prepratation outweighs physical prowress (especially in football). You are absolutely correct we will face a team with twice as many "athletes" than we have, and our road to success will be via hard work and preparation. This is something we can control---physical attributes we cannot.

My "record" as a coach (soccer and now one football game) is 25-4. I go into every game thinking we are going to lose. Of course I never tell the kids that, but it prevents me from becoming complacent---right or wrong, it seems to work. The only game we lost last season, we were *three* players down. I told the other team to play at full strength (no point benching the other team's kids if they showed up ready to play). We lost the game by one goal and played our absolute best game of the season. Instead of the players/parents being upset I allowed the other team to play at full strength, everyone was in awe of what a gut-check the players put forth. In fact, after the game we were all celebrating so much you would have thought we won. Well, the we did win, just not on the scoreboard. ;-)

I coach in the I-9 also...Same rules.5 on 5.I have them set picks but they really aren't you know?its just something we do...lol

I coached I-9 as well, the 7-8's and they must not be doing a very good job calling things cause in our league they'll call you in a heartbeat if they see that going on.

Our league allows no contact in the form of blocking what so ever, once a runner is past the LOS running, teamates cant even run near/with the ball carrier forming a pick type of block. Get flagged for that.

Would you guys like to see blocking allowed? I'm glad we can do it. The main reason is that it allows ALL the kids (whether they have the ball or not) to still be part of the play. As mentioned, I temper them by explaining not to "push" the defensive players, but to instead simply position themselves to get in the opponents way. The first team we played did no form of blocking whatsoever, and the result was not pretty.

I'm also a little concerned about the other coaches/refs knowing the rules after our first play. As an example, our rulebook states that players can rush after certain caveats--one being a fake hand off. I taught our kids this and after our opponent's first fake hand-off our d-line swarmed into the back field. One of the coaches on the other team literally ran on to the field hollering that it was illegal (which was unprofessional, in my opinion). Believe it or not the "ref" was unsure. I never had, nor ever will argue with the referees, so agreed if there was uncertainty (although I knew the rule) that we would hold off on doing that for the game.

I've asked the sports program director to send a reminder to all coaches/refs that it is legal.

Would you guys like to see blocking allowed? I'm glad we can do it. The main reason is that it allows ALL the kids (whether they have the ball or not) to still be part of the play. As mentioned, I temper them by explaining not to "push" the defensive players, but to instead simply position themselves to get in the opponents way. The first team we played did no form of blocking whatsoever, and the result was not pretty.

I'm also a little concerned about the other coaches/refs knowing the rules after our first play. As an example, our rulebook states that players can rush after certain caveats--one being a fake hand off. I taught our kids this and after our opponent's first fake hand-off our d-line swarmed into the back field. One of the coaches on the other team literally ran on to the field hollering that it was illegal (which was unprofessional, in my opinion). Believe it or not the "ref" was unsure. I never had, nor ever will argue with the referees, so agreed if there was uncertainty (although I knew the rule) that we would hold off on doing that for the game.

I've asked the sports program director to send a reminder to all coaches/refs that it is legal.

Our league was 6-on-6 and we're going to play in 5-on-5 next season. I tend to think with less kids on the field, blocking should not be allowed. With 8+ kids, maybe you need to allow blocking to create some room. When I played in college we were allowed to use moving picks behind the los and only set non-moving picks beyond it. But the blocker had to keep his hands behind his back and it was 7-on-7 iirc. The funny thing is that you see kids running downfield and trying to set picks (especially the ones who play basketball) and occasionally the refs will call it. I'm glad we don't have blocking, I can get everyone involved in other ways.

If I were you I'd bring a copy of the rulebook to the game. If there is ever a dispute or the ref doesn't know the rule you can point it out to him. The I-9 tournament we played in allowed a sudden rush on fake handoffs and that effected my gameplan both offensively and defensively. The coaches who didn't read the rules or adjust for them were caught off guard. I think mostly the local I-9 guys were effected because other than that and one or two minor things, the rules were exactly the same as what they used in the regular season. Since my team hadn't played in 9 months I read the rules several times over and made sure I knew all the nuances.