Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
tpbuck

Youth Defense

I've got a good group of athletes, but we are poor on defense. Our tackling needs to improve, for sure, but more than anything else, we need to develope an "attitude".

I've got a real quiet group, void of any real leaders (vocal or otherwise). They stay quiet no matter what. No celebration after TD's, and no celebration after our rare good defensive plays. Not a lot of emotion. it's hurting us. We're 2-0, but our run defense has been terrible.

Any tips, or help you could offer to get things turned around would be greatly appreciated. We need a "swagger" out there, but it's not happening.

I've got a good group of athletes, but we are poor on defense. Our tackling needs to improve, for sure, but more than anything else, we need to develope an "attitude".

I've got a real quiet group, void of any real leaders (vocal or otherwise). They stay quiet no matter what. No celebration after TD's, and no celebration after our rare good defensive plays. Not a lot of emotion. it's hurting us. We're 2-0, but our run defense has been terrible.

Any tips, or help you could offer to get things turned around would be greatly appreciated. We need a "swagger" out there, but it's not happening.

I don't have experience coaching tackle football but from my coaching other sports and playing days I'd say that you can fire up the team with a leader. Sometimes that can be a coach. I'd start it out during practices. Whoop it up and bring a high level of energy. Vocalize what you're trying to do as far as getting them excited. Be straight forward, tell them to get excited. Show them how to get excited, get a little crazy yourself. Not overboard but lead by example. There is probably one or two of them on the verge of being vocal but you just need to tip them over the top. Once you do that they'll start doing it on their own.

Aggressive attitude in football comes from two things; a natural tendancy to be aggressive and experience. Kids that are naturally aggressive are gold on a football team but more often then not most kids have to learn how to be aggressive and a lot of that comes from being confident in what they are doing (scheme and technique wise) and being instinctive instead of trying to walk through what they are supposed to do.

1) Limit their responsibilities so that they can easily cycle through their job and then get there.

2) Rep, rep, and more reps in tackling and pursuit as well as their technique.

3) Make sure your defensive scheme is sound because often when players try to do another persons job (make up) it takes their ability to be aggressive out of the equation.

4) Introduce games like power ball, deer hunter, king of the ring, and other combat related drills that allow kids to go get after someone..

Jack

Attitude comes from the head coach, attitude reflects leadership! Attitude also comes from being extremely sure and confident of ones assignments. Be sure to be a great teacher of the fundamentals, especially tackling and pursuit. You will want to stress gang tackling and stipping the ball.

what is your base defense?