Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
bballrules

Why No Weights?

bballrules,

I'm sorry but I think I missed something here. Who is everyone? Are there other threads regarding kids and weight lifting? Regardless, in order to answer your questions could you let me know what age kids. Without knowing which age group I would say weight lifting for kids is OK under close, close supervision. And which excercises they perform should be closley watched as well. I'm all for weight training for 12 and up anything sooner would be less than ideal. The American College of Sports Medicine suggests:

1. All strength-training activities should be supervised and monitored closely.

2. Remember that children are physiologically immature.

3. The primary focus, at least initially, should be directed at learning proper techniques for all exercise movements and developing an interest in resistance training.

4. Proper techniques should be demonstrated first, followed by gradual application of resistance or weight.

5. Proper breathing techniques (i.e., no breath holding) should be taught.

6. Exercises should be performed in a manner in which the speed is controlled, avoiding ballistic (fast and jerky) movements.

7. Power lifting and body building should be avoided.

Full-range, multijoint exercises (as opposed to single-joint exercises) should be emphasized.

8. Children need to be able to understand and follow directions. There is no recommended minimum age for children to be introduced to strength training.

Additionally, from what I have read there really is no minimum age required to begin a strength training program. I think its very important that children are emoitionally ready and can appreciate the gains and also the risks involved with exercise before they begin. The first few training sessions should focus on technique, safety, and correct lifting form without inducing undue fatigue. I can't stress enough the need for close supervision. Hope this helps. Let me know.