Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Flashpd

Lack Of Commitment

I am coaching mini-mites this year and it is driving me crazy, that at least 30% of our parents seem to think their kids can just show up when they want to. Today, we were missing 10 players on a Friday practice before a saturday game. Unfortunately I can't make the parents run laps. I realize that this is only 6-8 year olds, but it is impossible to prepare for a game when a 1/3 of the players miss practice. How do others handle this? Any suggestions would be greatley appreciated.

I am coaching mini-mites this year and it is driving me crazy, that at least 30% of our parents seem to think their kids can just show up when they want to. Today, we were missing 10 players on a Friday practice before a saturday game. Unfortunately I can't make the parents run laps. I realize that this is only 6-8 year olds, but it is impossible to prepare for a game when a 1/3 of the players miss practice. How do others handle this? Any suggestions would be greatley appreciated.

I have a rule that if a parent wants their child to play in the game then they have to attend practice.

When I played basketball for five years, the coach I had had one very simple rule: you either showed up to practice, or you didn't play the game that week. Plain and simple. We were allowed to miss five practices. They were held at night between 7 and 9pm, and for the entire season, we had five excused absences with the PARENT having to talk to the coach before the practice. The other great thing was that this wasn't just written on a piece of paper that the parents signed and handed back to the coach. The coaches sat down with the parents and the kids at the first practice and explained what he expected from everyone, the parents, the kids, himself, his staff, even the spectators that came out.

This way, everyone was on the same page, and there could be no cause for complaint when a child missed a practice unexcused and didn't get to play the game that weekend. End of story.

at least 30% of our parents seem to think their kids can just show up when they want to. Today, we were missing 10 players on a Friday practice before a saturday game. Unfortunately I can't make the parents run laps.

I burst into laughter when you mentioned having the parents run laps. This is my first year taking a jab at coaching, and at the first coach's meeting they were adamant about this 7 play rule. Went on to say even if the kids miss practice, they still have to play. I disagree with their logic. They state the kids shouldn't be penalized for their parents inability to get them to practice. And with gas prices, I can certainly understand. However, I truly don't believe that is fair to the kids who work day in, day out and attend every practice...then the one kid can miss all week, show up, and I am expected to play him in the game. How can I teach them about discipline and responsibility if I have some board members who smack my hand. It is almost like the debate of timeout vs spanking. Different philosophies I suppose.

But hey, what can I do? League rules have my hands tied.

we have a 10 play rule BUT it also allows for 7, 5 and 0 plays based on practice attendance which is kept by another parent. You could also make a good player only get the 10 plays and when the parent asks why tell them it is based on attendance.

First, it starts at the very first coaches/parent/player meeting when expectations are outlined. Attendance (commitment) should be point to as an important factor as it key to a successful season.

Also be aware that parents/players may not be coming to practice for other reasons(too many practices, coaching style is not positive, practice is too hard, or not, kids are not enjoying practice, etc. If you have players are not showing up, be sure to ask the parents directly for their insight. There may be other issues that you can positively effect. The head coach may not be aware of things that are going that is causing parents to want to stay home. So ask.

Last season one of my coaches was very loud and at mid point of the season I noticed some of my players motivation for being on the field at changed. Well after digging around it was uncovered that the load coach - was well - too loud - and the players and parents did not like it. I was unaware that his tone and loudness was bothering people. The coach was a very nice man with good coaching skills, but his style and loudness was not fitting in. I was able to make an adjustment with his responsibilities and smoothed everything out.

First, it starts at the very first coaches/parent/player meeting when expectations are outlined. Attendance (commitment) should be point to as an important factor as it key to a successful season.

Also be aware that parents/players may not be coming to practice for other reasons(too many practices, coaching style is not positive, practice is too hard, or not, kids are not enjoying practice, etc. If you have players are not showing up, be sure to ask the parents directly for their insight. There may be other issues that you can positively effect. The head coach may not be aware of things that are going that is causing parents to want to stay home. So ask.

Last season one of my coaches was very loud and at mid point of the season I noticed some of my players motivation for being on the field at changed. Well after digging around it was uncovered that the load coach - was well - too loud - and the players and parents did not like it. I was unaware that his tone and loudness was bothering people. The coach was a very nice man with good coaching skills, but his style and loudness was not fitting in. I was able to make an adjustment with his responsibilities and smoothed everything out.

Perhaps a compromise for the coach who has the everyone must play rule.... Why not have the kids who don't show up for practice play only the lower skill set positions? I certainly would let a non practicer play QB, receiver or even let him get his hands on the ball if he only showed up for games...and best of all when you're challenged by the parents, and you would be, you can say "Since Bobby hasn't practiced I'm really not sure if he has the skills for QB so I used the boys who I knew would know what to do"...or something like that. Everyone misses a practice or two and that's to be expected if for no other reason cold and flu season, but to habitually miss practices is disrespectful to the time and energy that the Coach and his Assistant (s) put in and it sure as ###### doesn't teach one of the most important lessons about this sport...unlike golf, this is a team sport and it takes a team to win.

Just my 3 cents.