Y-coach.com - Forum
sunagod

What Are The Benifits Of Young Kids Playing Aau

i was wondering if anyone could tell me if it's neccesary to put my 8 year old son in aau baseball. he has been playing baseball for about three years now, and he's pretty good (not the best though) for the league he plays in (dixie). So i was wondering if it makes a big difference if i was to put him in aau. also im the only coach he's ever played for so im kind of nervous about putting him to play for someone else at a young age, becuase i feel im the best coach for him at this point in time, (does that sound selfish). so again i wonder what is the benifits of an eight year old kid with decent skills to play aau. any input would be appreciated. thank you for being there for us coaches who need other coaches to make good decisions.

I think it really depends on the kid. Some can handle the additional pressure and thrive and some get turned off of the game.

In general, and this is just my personal opinion, I don't think it is worth it. I have seen so many kids of the years play one sport year around and they get burnt out. By the time it matters (middle school/high school) they don't even want to play any more.

We have tried various club and select sports over the years with our kids and have decided that it just isn't right for our family. My oldest son has done alright in middle school sports and will be entering high school next year. Most of his problem is just a lack of desire to train and get better. My middle son as excelled at middle school sports and has one more year before high school.

They both went through the same programs, I coached them at times and other people coached them at times. They played club and AAU a few times and my point is that it just depends on the kid. I don't think that playing or not playing at a select level is going to make or break a kid as far as competing later on down the road.

Let your son enjoy the sports he is playing and teach him everything you know. Once his playing level gets past your coaching experience level then find someone you trust to continue training him.

IC,

Schann

I think it really depends on the kid. Some can handle the additional pressure and thrive and some get turned off of the game.

In general, and this is just my personal opinion, I don't think it is worth it. I have seen so many kids of the years play one sport year around and they get burnt out. By the time it matters (middle school/high school) they don't even want to play any more.

We have tried various club and select sports over the years with our kids and have decided that it just isn't right for our family. My oldest son has done alright in middle school sports and will be entering high school next year. Most of his problem is just a lack of desire to train and get better. My middle son as excelled at middle school sports and has one more year before high school.

They both went through the same programs, I coached them at times and other people coached them at times. They played club and AAU a few times and my point is that it just depends on the kid. I don't think that playing or not playing at a select level is going to make or break a kid as far as competing later on down the road.

Let your son enjoy the sports he is playing and teach him everything you know. Once his playing level gets past your coaching experience level then find someone you trust to continue training him.

IC,

Schann

of course it is! he cant play under you forever. different situations and different people will help expand his skills and abilities. think about it like this. if he only saw fastball's his entire life, then how good will he be at hitting a changeup? or a curve ball? probably will not hit as well as he should. so if he is only used to your coaching how well will he respond to other coaches players? I think players that play for their dad is not good at all. I never played for my father and I am glad! I left bad for the kids that had to play for their dad. every one of them compained! Let him enjoy the game and help him out where its needed most!

http://SportsBunch.com