Y-coach.com - Forum
sunagod

Is It Ok For An 8 Year Old Pitcher To Use A Weighted Ball

my 8 year old son is a pitcher that throws pretty hard from the distance that he pitches from. i made a weight ball with the tennis ball and pennies and i was wondering if it would affect his control or do any damage to his arm if i let him warm up with the weighted ball, and would it help him throw harder if it he does warm up with it?

my 8 year old son is a pitcher that throws pretty hard from the distance that he pitches from. i made a weight ball with the tennis ball and pennies and i was wondering if it would affect his control or do any damage to his arm if i let him warm up with the weighted ball, and would it help him throw harder if it he does warm up with it?

I'm no baseball guru but when I thought about doing the same I was told by baseball guys I respect not to do it . I was told it's bad for their mechanics.

NO! Do not do this! If you want to increase your son's arm strength and stamina I have a perfect drill for you.

Play catch. Everyday and several times a day. Throwing the ball at a controlled speed (not overthrowing) constantly will improve endurance, speed, and accuracy.

It sounds simple and it is. The change takes longer but you will have long lasting results. A strong well developed arm that can last longer, recover faster after pitching and injuries, and throw more pitches with better accuracy.

Do this at differnent lengths. Long toss, short toss, under hand, try mixing it up to make it fun by flipping the ball back and forth like SS and 2nd base double play drills.

The long toss is ideal for strength but has other benefits

the short toss is good for edurance and has other benefits

the trick passes/throws is good for accuracy and keeps it fun and again has other benefits.