Y-coach.com - Forum
Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
hollad6636

Building The Complete Athlete

Have a look at this short video clip, Schann:

http://www.completea...tep2-speed.html

In it, I reveal parts 2 and 3 of my secret 6-Part plan for developing the fastest and most agile athletes in the game. Producing incredibly fast and agile young athletes isn't as easy as some people make it out to be. But it's not that hard or complex, either.

Speed and agility isn't about running on treadmills or through ladders. It's about teaching young athletes HOW to move, accelerate and decelerate properly. All you have to understand is where to start. And that's part of the problem. Almost every Trainer and Coach I know talks about speed and agility from a 'acceleration' perspective.

How you can get your young athletes to move faster and hit top speed most quickly.

But the reality of speed and agility training is that DECELERATION skills are much more valuable and need to be taught and perfected first. If a young athlete knows how to stop and change directions well, they are guaranteed to be the quickest player on the field or court.

Basketball players don't run top speed in a straight line. Neither do football players, baseball players, soccer players, tennis players or volleyball players either. To be good at any of those sports, athletes need to be able to get to a position quickly, make a play, decelerate, recover and change directions with lightening like ability.

And you won't ever develop those skills by simply 'learning' to run in a straight line or executing endless ladder and cone drills. Teaching speed and agility is a matter of having a sensible sequence of skills that young athletes can learn, master and perform with great technique.

And like I mentioned above, that all starts with learning how to decelerate.

There are three basic types of deceleration:

a. Lateral (athletes moving from side to side)

b. Linear (athletes moving from front to back)

c. Angular (athletes moving in diagonal lines)

Think about the sporting application - Tennis players move laterally to make a shot. Football players move in a linear way to take on a block. Volleyball players move angularly to dig a ball or make a pass. And there are even more sports (including the 3 I already named) that require athletes to decelerate in all 3 ways.

Teaching speed is not unlike teaching Math or English. Before you can perform calculus, you need to know how to add. Before you can write creative essay's, you need to understand how to use commas and periods. With speed and agility, BEFORE you start having young athletes go through ladder, cone or treadmill drills, you need to teach them how to decelerate well.

Once they have that down, you can teach them how to accelerate and reach top end speed. Teaching deceleration is simple - all you need is a plan. Like anything else in life, you start with the basics and build on them over time. When teaching how to decelerate from a lateral, linear or angular position, I always follow the same 6-Step plan:

1. Repeat Statically

2. Repeat Dynamically

3. Repeat Randomly

4. Predictable Specificity

5. Random Specificity

6. Individualization

Each of these steps builds on the last and adds variables that make the drill more complex and involved. For example:

- Addition of more movement prior to 'hitting' a deceleration

- Addition of faster movements prior to 'hitting' a deceleration

- Addition of randomized cues and signals

- Addition of teammates or opponents

As your young athletes gain skill in learning how to decelerate, it is absolutely critical that you add challenging 'additions' like the ones I mentioned above. This will keep them learning and gaining skill until they have 100% mastered the entire sequence.

Once your athletes understand the skills necessary for deceleration, you can teach them how to accelerate and reach top end speed from virtually any position.

And that, Schann, is the secret to speed and agility training! Rome wasn't built in a day. It takes time and a proper strategy for producing the fastest and most agile athletes around.

But once you have a system... Look out!

Here's an example of what one Personal Trainer experienced after he started implementing the Speed & Agility portion of my Complete Athlete Development system into his training sessions:

When I read Brian's 'Speed & Movement Techniques' chapter contained in his Complete Athlete Development Program, I knew that I was on to something very special.

When I watched the corresponding DVD's, I realized in an instance that the techniques and progressions he was showing were going to make my athletes the fastest and most agile in the game.

I was right!

These are the most groundbreaking techniques I have ever seen - but also the simplest program to follow.

If you think that speed and agility training is about ladder, cone, bungee cord or sled drills, than you are going to be unbelievably surprised and impressed with how basic and simple drills, without any equipment at all, will make your athletes the fastest in the game - just like I was!

Complete Athletic Development

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays