Y-coach.com - Forum
hollad6636

Building The Complete Athlete

A lot of people make the mistake of thinking that the road to athletic glory starts in the teenage years.

It doesn't.

In fact, it starts a lot earlier than that. Let's start by having you take a look at this short video clip: http://completeathle...ordination.html

Did that look like just basic 'jump rope' to you?

Well... It wasn't.

At least not really.

You see, Schann, the essence of building the complete athlete starts in the early years of life - around 6 - 13.

And it starts with general stimulus activities like jump rope.

Let me explain.

Just like in school, the ability of a student to progress on to advanced subject matter and really excel in things like Math and English, is entirely based on the basic education they received when they were young.

You may remember me talking about needing to know how to 'add' before you can learn calculus in the 'Speed & Agility Equation' article you received yesterday.

During the early phases of growth, the human body is like a sponge.

It is constantly trying to learn, understand and become 'good' at certain things. As we develop and grow over time, what we experienced early on (and hopefully became good at) sets the building blocks or foundation that allows us to excel at other things.

Does that make sense?

Let's put it into a sporting perspective.

A lot of Coaches believe that in order to excel in soccer or baseball for example, you must play, practice, think and breathe those sports 24 hours a day, 12 months a year starting when you are very young.

And nothing could be farther from the truth.

What you have to understand about sports in general is that although we may see them as specific activities requiring specific skills, they are nothing more than general skills that are being applied in a specific way.

Let's take soccer for example.

Soccer players are among the most talented athletes in the world as far as I am concerned. And to play soccer well, you need to excel at certain physical attributes:

a. Dribbling a ball

b. Powerful kicking motion

c. Quickness

d. Vision for the field of play

But those physical attributes are not specific to soccer, necessarily.

They are generalized athletic skills that can and should be developed in ALL YOUNG ATHLETES.

Look at that same list from a different perspective:

a. Dribbling a ball:

Fine motor skill and foot/eye coordination.

b. Powerful kicking motion:

Ability to produce and transfer force.

c. Quickness:

Agility, which involves proper deceleration and acceleration skills.

d. Vision for the field of play:

Visual acuity, depth perception and other common vision-based skills.

Those skills aren't ONLY developed through soccer.

They CAN and SHOULD be developed through a process of basic athletic development and then APPLIED to soccer.

Guaranteeing athletic success isn't anything more than just making sure that your young athletes start learning, playing and enjoying basic elements of sporting skills at a young age.

When youngsters experience a wide variety of athletic stimulus (sports, games, etc) at a young age, they automatically enhance their level of coordination.

So 'Step 3' of our '7-Step Plan' is based on one thing...

Coordination Development.

Have a look at that video clip one more time:

http://completeathle...ordination.html

That 'basic' game of jump rope is actually a very important exercise that helps build coordination in kids.

It serves to increase their natural ability to express timing (rhythm) and really gets them understanding how to coordinate their upper and lower body movements at the same time.

In Complete Athlete Development, I show you literally DOZENS of different games and exercises that you can use with your young athletes in order to enhance their coordination.

And remember, just because an exercise or drill isn't 'specific' to a certain sport, doesn't mean that it won't make a young athlete better in soccer, baseball or anything else for that matter.

Never forget...

The best PLAYERS are always the best ATHLETES.

Here's what Justine Robinson in Michigan had to say about the "Coordination Development" section inside Complete Athlete Development:

The results I have seen with Brian's 'Coordination Development' program have been absolutely unbelievable! Not only have I seen dramatic changes in my young athlete's rhythm and 'on-field awareness', but so have their parents.

Some of my young athletes have gone from finishing dead last at tournaments to placing in the top 3 - in only 4 weeks of using Brian's techniques!

No one and I mean NO ONE understands how to train young athletes better than Brian Grasso and following his guidelines is the single smartest career decision I have ever made.

Brian Grasso

Complete Athletic Development

Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays