Y-coach.com - Forum
hollad6636

Coach Rob's Playbook

Some of the plays I used in 2008, will probably add a few new plays once I start my 2009 season. Wanted to make it more interesting for my kids, so I came up with some goofy names for the plays. It also aided in helping them remember the plays.

We had great success on fake runs with a throw to the center who ran a modified fly pattern of some sort. Also good success with "FLOOD", especially near the goal line in a pass only situation. Red Ghost also worked in pass only situations if you could pull off a good fake.

They worked well for 8-9 y/o's, league is 5 vs. 5, QB can run at anytime. Too many pieces of paper out on the field gets confusing so I usually ran with 16 plays - two laminated sheets with 8 on each sheet double sided.

CRob

CRobPlays_2009.doc

Coach Rob

How or what program do you use to draw up your play diagrams? It looks very clear and kid simple with the color coding.

Harry

Looks like a Microsoft Word product to me, Harry...using the drawing features. Fairly easy to use once you develop your own offensive formation templates: trips, twins, balanced, etc. Just copy a template file with a particular formation, fill in the colors of choice, draw lines, arrows, and maybe add notes like distances of the routes or spacing of your receivers...

A good trick (which takes more time and patience) is to create this all in Microsoft PowerPoint. Take one play completely diagrammed out (this will be one file), copy that slide to the next slide, move each circle on that slide a little bit along their particular line (accounting for any delay, ie. you may not want your center to immediately move down field), repeat many times (copying to next slide moving circles a little) until the play is as complete as you want it, then save...you will now have one file with a truck load of slides; run the file as a slide show with adding some delay between each successive slide and there you have it - a version of that one play as it develops. Might be useful for certain age groups to be able to view plays this way seeing their assigned color moving. [Not suggesting you bring your computer to the field - although some may have newer handhelds that could display this. However, time permitting, this might be useful for players at home with their Mom or Dad's approval in using the computer to view what the coach has put together ...]

KBOB

Coach RobHow or what program do you use to draw up your play diagrams? It looks very clear and kid simple with the color coding.Harry
KBOB is right, I just used Microsoft Word. Color coding + unique names works well with the kids.