Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coachingdad

The Future Of The Qb Position

I 've been following a trend in football at all levels that I would like some serious feedback too. In my obsevations and discussions with many in the football communty, it's quite clear there are two types of QBs. The prostyle QB and the dual threat QB. It is also my observation that more and more top HS programs and no doubt DI college football are turning to spread offenses that want dual threat QBs. The NFL still seems to favor Prostyle. Where is the future of this position heading and if you were to develop your son to be a QB at the HS/ college level in 6-8 years,what style would you chose and why?

I 've been following a trend in football at all levels that I would like some serious feedback too. In my obsevations and discussions with many in the football communty, it's quite clear there are two types of QBs. The prostyle QB and the dual threat QB. It is also my observation that more and more top HS programs and no doubt DI college football are turning to spread offenses that want dual threat QBs. The NFL still seems to favor Prostyle. Where is the future of this position heading and if you were to develop your son to be a QB at the HS/ college level in 6-8 years,what style would you chose and why?

Well it depends...I'd love for my son to be a dual threat but if he were to seriously want to make it Pro i'd tell him to look at the good Pro QB's and see what they all are.They are Pro style and for the most part are all about passing, not running.It may be helpful in high school but in college/Pro's a Pro style is definitely better.

Thanks rushbuster 70 for your reponse. I'm surprized this topic produced little discussion. I agree with you about preferring a dual threat QB. As the term implies dual means good at passing(and of course being able to read D) and being an extra RB when the opportunity warrants. The problem at a real and practical level is if the trend at HS is a desire to get a dual QB( which if I read you right you agree with that observation) and that's what wins state championships now and in the foreseeable future, how does a Prostyle QB get the opportunity, and without opportunity there are no stats or game film to show to colleges, and if no college experience how do you make it to the pros a decade or more from now. This leads me to the title I chose for this post. What is the future of the QB position? I guess I should of titled it what is the real long term future of the Prostyle QB? Although you are still correct , colleges still recruit the prostyle do you think the trend a decade from now will be that way. As long as D1 programs keep winning bowl games and national championships with exciting dual QBs, my bet is on the dual QB. So what will become of the NFL game 10+ years from now? Is it a waste of time to work with junior on just his arm/throwing skills if he doesn't have the speed and agilty the future game will demand? Am I right or wrong? How are you preparing your son? Looking forward to hearing from the board.

Thanks rushbuster 70 for your reponse. I'm surprized this topic produced little discussion. I agree with you about preferring a dual threat QB. As the term implies dual means good at passing(and of course being able to read D) and being an extra RB when the opportunity warrants. The problem at a real and practical level is if the trend at HS is a desire to get a dual QB( which if I read you right you agree with that observation) and that's what wins state championships now and in the foreseeable future, how does a Prostyle QB get the opportunity, and without opportunity there are no stats or game film to show to colleges, and if no college experience how do you make it to the pros a decade or more from now. This leads me to the title I chose for this post. What is the future of the QB position? I guess I should of titled it what is the real long term future of the Prostyle QB? Although you are still correct , colleges still recruit the prostyle do you think the trend a decade from now will be that way. As long as D1 programs keep winning bowl games and national championships with exciting dual QBs, my bet is on the dual QB. So what will become of the NFL game 10+ years from now? Is it a waste of time to work with junior on just his arm/throwing skills if he doesn't have the speed and agilty the future game will demand? Am I right or wrong? How are you preparing your son? Looking forward to hearing from the board.

I agree with you...But I want my son to be a Pro Style QB.I think the game will continue to be how it is.How many dual-threat QB's do you see in the NFL starting right now?The only one you can say is Vince Young and what has he done?They all get converted to another position.Get a Pro Style QB who can at least roll out and be accurate then your on th emoney.I live in AZ and I watched a few State Championships the past few years and for the most part there have only been a few people who were dual-threat.The best in this year's class was definitely a Pro-Style QB.I plan to make my son mobile not his make his first instinct to run.Someone will get open or throw the ball away.I think Pro's will stay how they are.Theres always a freak of nature thats Dual-Threat but for the most part you'll continue to see Pro-Styles always there

I really don't think the dual-threat will ever be the norm in the NFL. The quarterbacks that are successful runners in college and high school have a distinct speed advantage over the defensive line and linebackers. That speed difference between QB and the defense is much smaller at the pro level. Also, look at the beating that NFL running backs and running quarterbacks take. I'll be shocked if someone like Vince Young can go more than a year without being slowed by injuries.

Thanks coachATH, I completely agree with your NFL assessment. The point I was trying to make and perhaps not as clearly is the shift at the HS and college level to a spread offense which requires a dual threat QB. I also have a good idea why that is (1) the game is more exciting to those fans (2) watching a spread offense with a dual threat QB vs. a pro style QB offense hasn't looked good for the latter and most importantly and never talked about is how much easier it is as a coach at recruiting. Let me elaborate. If you have an athletic , mobile and aggressive QB, it makes it easier on the O line, your receivers and RBs don't have to be top studs just big and good enough. If you play in a conference against a Prostyle you can recruit great CB/SAFETIES and handle them easily once they become one demensitional. If you are competing against a spread as well it's all about defensive speed .Most people I know in the hs/ college football scene lead me to believe that a prostlyle QB requires too many very good players at key positions(harder to recruit) and takes too long to develop such a system when most of your top notch talent that support Prostyle QB play will only be there 3 years these days. So if the prostyle QB is going out of favor at D1 schools and just look at them this season compared to 6-7 yrs ago and those who haven't yet, just look at what they are recruiting to follow their senior prostyle QB .I'm just wonder where future NFL/prostyle QBs will be coming from. Will the NFL have to adapt to the college talent pool and which style of play do you develop as a parent so your kid is relevant and skilled for what they recruit? Great to hear your input and for others in the know to chime in.

I do not visit this site much because it is so inactive, I am typically too busy in april to spend much time on the computer. I just ran across this today.

Priceless.... my ribs hurt from laughing... thanks guys.

My son has been our starting QB since he was 7 and a back up at age 6. He can thow the ball down field pretty well to only be 67lbs. (9 years old). He also has some ankle breaking jukes. He hands the ball off and carries out his bootleg fakes very well. He is a student of the game. I have just let him develop his own style. I run a Wishbone offense and a Wing T. I have set up our playbook to take advantage of his ability to run and pass. I don't care if he ever goes pro or to a D1 school to play. I just want him to have fun and do what he loves. Now don't get me wrong, If he does got to the upper levels, I'll be tickled. But for now, I'm just letting his instincts play the primary role in his developement.

<br />With 80 million dollar contracts you will not ever see a veer style QB in the NFL.<br />

I have to diagree with you. Though they are few and far between, there have been several dual threat QB's in the NFL who have had success (Michael Vick, Randal Cunningham, Vince Young). I believe in the next decade we will see a shift in the NFL to more mobile QB's. Whoever thought that the "wildcat" formation would be used at the NFL level, but it was used very effectively last season by Miami.

Bottom line is less than 2% of athletes make it to the pro's ( and I think that is a conservative estimate). Let your kid develop to their best potential, and have fun while they are playing. Let the coach decide what kind of QB he wants in his system and then adapt...

If your kid is good enough to choose the college they attend, then decide what system is best him.

Well Vick got injured several times and Young was benched by a much older Pro style QB. I thing Young is more athletic but just to used to running that veer he ran in Texas. And if I'm not mistaken when Miami ran that wild cat formation Pennington was either off the field or a spread end. Plus there is one more reason I think the trend will stay Pro style. That is because it wins Championships, and good QB's, Now I said GOOD QB's are hard to come by even more than the money some of these guys are hard to replace. A good QB that can stand in the pocket and make plays will always be more valuable in the pros than a veer type QB. Like the guy said in one of the above post when you get to pro everybody is fast. Veer will just not be as successful on a consistent basis as a Pro style. But I will agree it is good for a trick play now and then.