Volleyball Coaching: Graduation Project

My name is Siriphong Keodara from Olympia, Washington. I currently attend

River Ridge High School and am a Senior. Every senior

must complete a Graduation Project where they choose a

topic to focus on and research on it to graduate. My topic is

Volleyball Coaching and I hope that you guys can assist me

in my project. There are five essential questions that

we must create, and research on. My questions are:

1. What makes an excellent volleyball player?

2. What kind of drills are there? How do the drills

help the players to play better?

3. How does a person pursue a career in coaching?

4. What are the philosophies of a coach?

5. How does a coach motivate players?

Help on any question is appreciated but the current questions I need info on are numbers 3 and

4. I have been unsuccessful in finding any information

on these questions and hope that you guys may assist me on

your philosophies on coaching and incite me on how you

became a volleyball coach. Any help is appreciated.

Sincerely,

Siriphong Keodara

Siriphong:

I'll try the second question first.

As a coach of almost 30 years, I could probably fill quite a few pages of e-mail with my thoughts on coaching philosophies, both good and bad. But as a teacher, let me suggest that you get the following books from the library and decide for yourself what you think they are - or should be. Coaching Youth Volleyball - Third Edition, American Sport Education Program, The Art of Team Coaching Jim Hinkson, and my personal favorite: Coaching Volleyball - Building a Winning Team - McGown,Fronske,Moser. I am sure that there are other good works on the subject, but these will give you plenty to think about to start. I will say that coaching philosopies are quite ofter influenced by were you are coaching. If at a public school, winning may be what keeps your job for you. Not always, but in my experience, usually. At a private school, getting relatively equal playing time and having fun may be what drives your program. Club volleyball to national teams, the pressures come from all directions and in different forms, and numerous parts of your coaching philosophy may change. On the other hand, my experience and my reading seem to confirm that really good coaches - do not always read "winning coaches" - have a few basic principles. At the foundation of them most likely is : put the player first. When you read any of the above literature, you will see that this covers a large range of items; everything form safety to honesty. Well, I'll let you find what works for you.

Regarding how a person gets into coaching.... Well, let me say first that I don't subscribe to the saying that"those who can, play; those that can't, teach(coach)". I, like probably the vast majority of coaches in any sport, started by playing - and loving - the game. And when I was too (old/injured/sore/unmotivated - your choice :) I just gravitated to coaching. Actually, in my case, I was on a recreation team at a Y that wasn't playing very well and I just started making suggestions. From there it went to my command's service team that also needed "a little help". It took me years before I realized that there was a lot more to coaching and volleyball at a higher level than I knew about. From then to now, it has led to a huge (so my wife says!) home volleyball library, stacks of films and video, more coaching clinics than I can count, and maybe thousands of games that I've been in, seen, coached,,whatever. I retired from a pretty successful high school program a few years ago and kind of stepped away from the game. It took about a year before I realized that I really missed it. So, I am now coaching a middle school team, going back to coaching clinics and maybe coaching better than I have for a long time. I know I'm having a ball.

And maybe that's actually what draws lots of folks to coaching, it lets you continue to have fun with a sport you love, and it just might keep you young for awhile longer. ( I hope so, cause I'm 60 now, and am just getting a good jump serve down :)

Well, I hope that help a little. If you have the time, let me know how your project works out, and what conclusions you made.

lots of luck john eads

Siriphong:

Now that you've had a chance to get some different views (hopefully) on coaching philosophies, here is mine. I include this in the packet I send home with my players on the first day of practice.

To teach good volleyball fundamentals in a manner that allows my players to appreciate the efforts they make and to have fun making them.

To provide my players with unlimited opportunities to exceed their own expectations.

To provide a team atmostphere that allows my players to move outside their comfort zone; to make mistakes worth making and to improve because of them.

To teach my players to become thir own coaches and best supporters.

To provide a safe environment to learn volleyball.

To build a winning team - in attitude and performance - regardless of the final score.

To help my players learn to win with humility and lose with grace.

Guess that about covers it for me. I sure thought you would have received a grunch of replies by now. Good luck. john

Siriphong,

Let me first say that I am not a v-ball coach but I think I can give you some kind of insight to questions 3, 4 and 5. I coach both in-house and travel baseball and football. I've been coaching for about 10yrs now and I have become more than just a coach. I have studied long and hard how to coach the proper techniques for both games. I have a pretty decent collection of tapes and books I have studied to become the best coach I can. On to your questions...

3. How does a person pursue a career in coaching?

Does this mean Youth, H.S., College, Pro?

As for me, I began my career in Youth coaching when my 2 sons signed up for little league baseball and football. I wanted to give them the best oppurtunity to move to the next level of both games and to insure they learned the proper way to play both games as possible. So, I began studying both games from some of the best resources I could find and so began my coaching career. For me it started because of my 2 boys. As I said, I figured if they wanted to play sports they should be given the best oppurtunity to play the game correctly as possible. If they execute good mechanics I think this gives them best chance at having as much fun as possible as well.

4. What are the philosophies of a coach?

Well, speaking for myself my philosphies are as such.......

Play Hard! Have Fun! I try to be a little more than just a coach to my players as well as thier parents. I hold a meeting w/them before the season begins. I hand out a document I have created w/my philosaphys, league rules, my expectations of them (players also) and what they can expect from me. Included is any and all important dates, practice/game place and times and anything else they may need or have questions on. We lay everything on the table right up front. How I run a team and who the coaches are that are going to be helping. I like to think I am instilling a positivity into my players from a lot of different standpoints.

1. Any and all homework/church/family things are done before any player gets on the field w/me.

2. Uniform and equipment is not mom and dads job.

3. Know the schedule.

4. If your not having fun please let me know asap.

5. Anyone ever needs a ride let me know asap.

6. ???? regarding new equipment purchase please dont hesitate to ask.

7. Off the field training material please don't hesitate to ask.

I believe in coming to practice prepared. Games are won on the practice field. I outline my practices days ahead of time so that we can get the most out of our practice time as possible. I also will stay after practice for any player or parent whether to just talk or practice whatever drill it is that the player needs help with. If a player returns next year, or as many have, gone on to play in H.S. I think I have done alright.

5. How does a coach motivate players?

First and formost being prepared and showing your in charge. I think this is true for Youth sports, any one of them, especially. If you show your players your ready to lead and practice is run like everyone (coaches) knows what thier doing this is the best motivater by far. Know the rules of the game and the rules of your league. Be a student of the game. I am always learning from as many resources as I can. Motivation starts from day one. Find ways for your players to learn about each other. This I beleive instills commraderie and teamwork. Make it fun for them by performing drills they want to do to a certain extent of course. Take the team out as a group to batting cages, for pizza whatever. Have them over to the house to watch film. Let them know you care not only about their having fun playing but also about them outside of the field. Ask them how thier day went at school, what did they learn, hows your (sibling) doing, how was recess whatever. Bring your teaching down to thier level while displaying, again, that your the boss. You know what your doing and talking about as far as proper mechanics. Give them the respect you want in return. I think this goes back to being more than just a coach. If your creative and really care your players will give you thier best. Prepare them to be thier best and then sit back and let them shine and be ready to critique when necessarry and reward when neccesarry as well. All these things I think are a part of motivating a team.

Hope this helps! Good luck w/your course, and let us know how you do.

Syn

Thanks for all the input guys. I hope I gain more knowledge from others about my topic on the discussion board.

For those that left information for me, may you please leave your full name, job title, and location so I can credit you in my sources.

fmfjohn: Thanks for the book suggestions, I'll be sure to look for those ASAP.

synwave7: For question number 3, I'm focusing on High School coaching. If possible can you e-mail your document that you pass out to macnificent7@attbi.com

Thanks.

Siriphong:

I forgot to include what I consider to be one of the best overall intros to coaching. Don't miss checking out "Successful Coaching" Rainer Martens - Human Kinetics It is the text for both The National Federation Interscholastic Coaches Association and the American Sport Education Program.

I will e-mail the info you requested. good luck john

If possible, can you guys get deeper into your philosophies, like sharing an example of your philosophies coming in to play during a game or so and if your philosophy is successful with the players you worked with in the past or present. Also I've been getting alot of info on your philosophies, but I need more info on how to purse a career in coaching. Did you guys need any type of license or if you took classes, etc? Thanks in advanced.

Hello again,

As usual, I'll do the second part first.

In general, I expect that there are only a few ways that most folks get into coaching. Probably the most common, just in numbers if nothing else, is the way Syn said he got into it. Your kids need a coach - or probably more correctly, a good coach - and seeing none available, Mom or Dad steps forward. In a lot of cases, the parent may have played the sport that they will coach, but in many cases, they are the only one who will volunteer the time, and they get the job, experience or not. If they have a "good" experience - meaning that their kids will still talk to them after practice - they continue to coach the following year.. and on and on, until the kids leave the program. Then, if they really had fun, they stay on. For a lot of coaches, this is as far as it goes; not training, no certification, no... nothing, except maybe seeing what the compitition is doing. Sometimes though, you get a person who, like Syn, really wants to give it his (or her) best shot, and goes to local or reginal coaching clinics, gets some league or national certification, not because its required, but because they think it will help them do a better job. Then, they start borrowing, buying, or otherwise accumulating videos on their sport's techiques, training programs, coaching techniques, etc, books to match, and anything else that will help them do a better job. And, for most of us, that is their coaching career.

I also know that many guys and gals who played a sport in high school and stay active after school quite often take a similiar path, without having children who suck them into coaching.

But I think you are suggesting that this career is the money making, family supporting kind, and that can be a whole different story. Of course, it doesn't have to be. I know some coaches who have gone from the neighborhood team to college coaching, but not many. Anyway, I think that most "big time" coaches come from the player ranks after college. Obviously, if you were a "star" or "big name" player in a major college program, getting that graduate assistant job could easily be the first step. From there, you find a paying "assistant coach" position, and you're off and running. During this "apprenticeship" you might also be coaching a club team, assisting with a nearby high school team, or working with the USA Volleyball Junior Olympic program. Any or all of these positions can lead you to a head coaching job. That is not to say that the same process can't happen for an average player, because it sure can. Some would suggest that the average player had to learn more to stay on the team, and therefore also had to think more, which could make them a better coach. Personally, I think both work if you really want to coach.

As far as licencing goes, I have mixed feelings on the subject. Most primary and secondary school systems that I'm aware of do not require any type of "certification". On the other hand, USAV has a very strong program called CAP - Coaching Accreditation Program - which has five levels from introduction (IMPACT) to Level IV - National & Olympic Pipeline Coaches. They are not "required", even within the USAV, but they sure do help. If you were asking my recommendation, I would strongly suggest that you get any certification available to you within the area that you would like to coach. Every additional item on your coaching resume will help you get that "real" coaching job. But, above every thing else, you still have to learn to deal with your players, parents, and lots of other people. So, get your people-skills together.

There is one other suggestion that I would make if you - or anyone - really are set on becoming a coach at almost any level. Get a teaching degree. That's not just me talking. Ask John Wooden, of UCLA fame. Thats exactly what he recommends. At the very least, take classes on teaching theory, technique and processes. You can step over a lot of learning pitfalls this way.

I will have to do some thinking on the real life application and success or failure of my coaching philosopy before I respond to the first part of your question. Maybe the thumbnail response is that I have, and have had players go on to college success and they still occassionally stop bye and say "Hi". Maybe better yet, a few of "my girls" have gone on to coach, and sometimes call, asking for suggestions. And to top it all off, every now and then, a young woman will stop me somewhere, and introduce her kids to me, as her coach. That's really success enough for me.

FMFJOHN,

Can you explain more on about the USAV and it's program CAP - Coaching Accreditation Program. What goes on in this program? What does the person learn and what do they benefit from this? Thanks. Siriphohong

Siriphohong:

Explaining about the USAV could take more e-mail pages than either of us is ready for. However, I think I can give you a fairly basic idea in a reasonable amount of space. The USAV is the governing body for the regional and national programs that provide teams for the Olympics, World Championships, World Cup, etc, in the form of the US National team. On a local or regional level, USAV is the sanctioning body and organizational base for the Junior Olympics program which, probably only slightly smaller in participant numbers that middle school and high school programs, IS youth volleyball across the US.

The USAV's Coaching Accreditation Program (CAP) is a five level accreditation program which actually begins with a "introductory" level called Increased Mastery and Professional Application of Coaching Theory (IMPACT). What it boils down to is that if you want to coach a Junior Olympic (JO) team, you are required to be at least IMPACT qualified, and also take a "refresher" clinic every year. Then, if you want to move up as a coach in USAV, you will (want-need-be required) to move up the CAP ladder, with additional clinics, testing, written work, and reviews. Now some of this may vary a little by Region (I think there are 33 at the moment) so you would have to check.

What does the person learn, and how do they benefit from IMPACT and CAP training? That's a real good question, and the answer(s) you receive probably will depend on who you ask. Some coaches will say that IMPACT/CAP is mostly just a way for USAV to make some money, as they don't think that the clinics teach them much. I would suggest that they probably had no intention of learning anything new or different in the first place. (but thats just my opinion) Other folks, while not objecting to attending the required clinics, would say that they really didn't learn anything new. I will have to say that having attended my first IMPACT in 1993 and my last one in 2003, maybe I didn't learn much new, but I did learn enough to make it worthwhile. I am sure that the longer it has been since a coach was a player, at almost any level, the more likely it is that that prospective coach can benefit greatly from almost any type of formalized training. And after all, if you are getting even a little of the information and training suggestions used by the coaches of the US National team, how bad can it be?

What the person learns goes from the history of the game, coaching philosopy (your original question) teaching motor skills, drill developement,all the way to ethics, risk management, officiating, jargon and players. (the manual has gone from 103 pages in 93 to more than twice that many - so many that they're not numbered in my new book- in 03.) In my opionion, the chapters are generally well done, but far too lengthy to be covered in any detail in a one day's clinic. And maybe that is my personal objection, in that I would be willing to spend more time in class, and definitely more time in the gym, going over the material. But, as teachers are noted for saying, lectures are just for highlights, you learn the material by reading the book!

How do they benefit from this? I think the shortest answer is that any program that gets you to think about what, how and why you teach something has got to be beneficial to you and to your progam (and the players in it)

Let me jump out here and let smarter and more articulate coaches give you their views. Or, you could sign up for an IMPACT clinic and see for yourself. (probably best to do both:)

Let us know how it goes. john