Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Begin With The End In Mind

I had a nice interfacing with a coach regarding a player whom I coached in soccer last year. The coach told me, "While he's not the most skilled athlete, he's probably our best player---he knows the game and is the field general for our team. This kid has been well coached."

Obviously this is (in my opinion) is the best thing I could have ever heard about a former player. I always coach my kids for their future coaches. I always tell people, I am not a coach. Instead I am just a "chump" off the street who is volunteering my time and knowledge, coaching the kids like I want my child to be coached. By that, when they join real teams with real coaches, they will have a leg up on their teammates because they understand the subtleties of the game, and are willing to do the "dirty work" that other players might not buy in to.

So . . . at the beginning of each season I coach, I always write down my goals for the team. In other words, I have the end in mind.

What are your top goal(s) for the teams you coach each season? Perhaps it is a winning season? Perhaps it is to show progress in each game?

Mine are fairly straight-forward. First and foremost, I stress "team". I love getting a bunch of disparate 7-8 year olds together, and watching them gel and support each another. I always begin the season with the ol' "Gentlemen, look to your right. Look to your left. These are your new best friends." speech.

Second are fundamentals. By this, I drive home the basics of the game that they need to know, and always tout the "dirty work." In soccer, it was defense. While all the kids want to score goals, I toasted those who sold out and threw themselves in front of oncoming attackers. We went one season only giving up something like three goals in 12 games--simply because I instilled pride in their defensive play. This past year in football, it was blocking and route running. It is funny as I have a Kindergartener on my team who teases his 12 year old brother because he knows how to recite the passing tree. "What's a '9' route' Eddie?" the Kindergartener would ask. Or, "What's a Flag route?" His brother would say, "I don't know. We just run out and try to get open."

At the risk of trying to spawn more activity on this forum, let us all know what your top goals are for your team this year or in year's past. I doubt we will get much response, but hey---I am trying. :-)

I'll jump in here..... Last year was my first stint at coaching, atleast in the "Head Coach" role. It was a great experience and very rewarding! Getting geared up for our upcoming season which starts in August, this is a great thread to kind of think about where I want to go with this new team. First and foremost at the age where I coach (7-9), I am all about teaching the fundamentals and basics. I try to prepare and teach these kids how to do things the right way when it comes to the game of football. I really consider myself a teacher rather than a coach with this age group. Teaching things like proper route running, catching passes, throwing the ball, play diagrams, lining up and about the nuances of football in general is first with my teams! Ingraining good habits and techniques at this young of a age will prove to be very useful when these kids get older whether they continue in athletics or not. Focusing on different aspects more than others within the game of football is also addressed here. Next has to be playing as a team and bonding with the coaches and other kids. By really teaching and providing a team concept at every practice, the kids in turn learn valuable life skills in playing together and coming together as teammates. It will help the core of who they are as they get older and discover themselves in coming years. Last but certainly not least is to have fun!!!! I think after the first two important concepts are ingrained and taught, fun will naturally come to fruition. Again, these kids at this age have to have fun, thats what its all about. I grew up playing and loving football, therefore I want positive experiences for every kid when it comes to this game. I know most of these kids wont play football in their older years, however I want every kid on my team to have fun and develop a "love" for football whether they play it in the future or not!! I want these kids to remember my teams as one of the funnest teams they played on, because it was just FUN! To make it fun for them, it has to be fun for us coaches too though.... dont forget that!

I am very competitive in everything I do, so I do like to win I wont lie! I believe alot of us like winning, I mean to win something is a fantastic feeling. Being on winning teams for these kids provides good self confidence too! We as coaches have to try and stay true and keep dignity in youth sports today though. The "win at all cost's" approach has no place in my opinion when dealing with kids of this age. It gets tough when you play other coaches who play that way (all our leagues have a couple teams who are this way) too. Sometimes you just want to abandon your dignified approach where you spread the ball around ect, to just feeding your stars to try and beat them, lol. Never would I allow myself to to that, I guess we just have to balance things out, because I also agree that some competitiveness at this age is very beneficial! In the right way though. Well thats enough rambling, I'd be interested to hear others thoughts.....

Yep---and I know it sounds corny, but it is really all about the kids having fun. We, as coaches have an obligation (especially at the ages you and I coach) to ensure it is an extremely positive experience for the kids.

Each time I would do my pre-game speech (in a very serious tone): "Make sure you play tough, I want to see some of that pride I know you have on the field. Make sure you stay focused, stay in your assignments on defense, hustle back to the huddle after each play, and above all . . ." (toward the end of the season the kids would chime in together with me) "Have fun!"

It's funny as when I started coaching, I pictured myself as being hard-nose Bill Parcells type coach. However, it really turns out I am pretty much a "players" coach (and know the kids really respect me for that), I guess along the lines of a Dick Vermeil.

"And these players, geez . . ." ;-)