Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  

Really Need Help

i have just made the basketball team for my highschool and the thing is im a greatttttttttt half court player and i play my best when im in the point guard spot (bringing the ball down the court) but now i have to learn how to play without the ball in my hands and another thing is, ive had a shot all my life, ever since i made this team and we run full courts i find myself missing every single shot i take and im losing alot of confidence and when that happens my mind just falls out of the game. Now basketball has been my whole life and im turning 16 this month and thru-out my whole life ive always been the best and suddenly im finding trouble, #1 gettin the ball in my hands and #2 hitting a shot, i do not know whats wrong and i need help, im losing confidence in myself and my teamattes are losing confidence in me. can anyone helpppppp

Hey bud,

Obviously you can't lose confidence in your game. You gave to stay positive. If you have a parent or someone that is knowledgable about the game of basketball, and who has watched you from a certain point where you made a lot of shots...maybe they have noticed you doing something with your shot that is throwing you off. Remember also that basketball isnt all about scoring, its about doing the little things. i.e. Setting picks, taking charges, great defensive presence.

As far as moving without the ball, its all about setting picks, cutting through the lane with your hands up and ready to receive a pass if your open. You have to be mindful to that who ever the PG is they have to have a presence to continuosly looking around and looking for the open person. But pick and move. If your shot is missing, look for layups. Something short and inside. If you get it down in the lane and your up against a tall center remember your pump fake to get him up in the air, and then take it up. If your a good free throw shooter you just helped your team in 2 ways. Getting to the line, which wins games, and there big fella has another foul!

So there are many other things that you can do and worry about besides your scoring. Hope this helps!

Coach Josh