Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Do You Tweak Your Playbook From Season-to-season?

This will be my fifth season coaching, but my second in flag football.

I'm curious as to if any of you old-timers to flag football modify your playbook after each season, or do you come out with a completely new one or leave it as is.

I must admit, one of the great attributes to coaching football is to design the playbook. I really believe at this age (I coach k-2nd) that you can equalize brawn with brain, meaning that regardless of our my team's physical skiils, we will be the "smartest" team on the field, and think in my first season that was fairly evident (win or lose, I was swamped with accolades after each game from the opposing coaches/fans with their appreciation of our plays and execution of such plays). In my first season, I was a bit of a "mad-scientist" and had a fairly complex playbook. I'd say that we were able to get down 70% of the plays. I told the kids upfront they would be challenged with the plays (and of course kids this age like to learn "cool" things)--so they were up to the challenge.

By about the 3rd or 4th game, one official (who was very animated) would always tell the opposing coach during the coin-toss, "Now this team runs a pro-offense, you better watch them." We pretty much did it all. We might not have executed everything to perfection, but we tried. It was a beautiful sight to see my linemen pull/influence block, TEs run delayed routes, WRs take pride in second-level blocking, etc. Frankly, on defense I had little rules, other than swarm to the ball--but on offense we were probably the most disciplined team in our league.

With that, I think my playbook was wildly successful. However, I think I will be modifying it some this "off-season". I believe having the same kids back really helps in this task, but at this point have no idea who will return or not. Consequently, I'm up'ing the ante on some positions like QB (which my son plays), and will focus a little more on mis-direction plays.

Anyway, just curious as to how much you guys tweak your playbook from season to season, AND how much you modify it during the season.

Thanks!

This will be my fifth season coaching, but my second in flag football.

I'm curious as to if any of you old-timers to flag football modify your playbook after each season, or do you come out with a completely new one or leave it as is.

I must admit, one of the great attributes to coaching football is to design the playbook. I really believe at this age (I coach k-2nd) that you can equalize brawn with brain, meaning that regardless of our my team's physical skiils, we will be the "smartest" team on the field, and think in my first season that was fairly evident (win or lose, I was swamped with accolades after each game from the opposing coaches/fans with their appreciation of our plays and execution of such plays). In my first season, I was a bit of a "mad-scientist" and had a fairly complex playbook. I'd say that we were able to get down 70% of the plays. I told the kids upfront they would be challenged with the plays (and of course kids this age like to learn "cool" things)--so they were up to the challenge.

By about the 3rd or 4th game, one official (who was very animated) would always tell the opposing coach during the coin-toss, "Now this team runs a pro-offense, you better watch them." We pretty much did it all. We might not have executed everything to perfection, but we tried. It was a beautiful sight to see my linemen pull/influence block, TEs run delayed routes, WRs take pride in second-level blocking, etc. Frankly, on defense I had little rules, other than swarm to the ball--but on offense we were probably the most disciplined team in our league.

With that, I think my playbook was wildly successful. However, I think I will be modifying it some this "off-season". I believe having the same kids back really helps in this task, but at this point have no idea who will return or not. Consequently, I'm up'ing the ante on some positions like QB (which my son plays), and will focus a little more on mis-direction plays.

Anyway, just curious as to how much you guys tweak your playbook from season to season, AND how much you modify it during the season.

Thanks!

Well I'm in my 6th season Coaching...I tend to adjust the plays during the season but not anymore after this.I've continously used a good amount of plays season after seasons....But I've come up with about 60 plays or so by now and some will work with certain kids and some wont obviously.

So next season I plan on working the kids out and seeing what we have.Then putting in plays that will work with the kids.I've pretty much been able to see what some kids can do and some cant so after the first practice i'll go from there.

I'm not even letting them touch the football for the first practice.Theres just too much to find out about them.

I am going to tweak mine to a certain extent. Mainly come up with a better way of organizing plays based on what we're the defense is doing. Some teams rush a player & play man, others don't rush at all and just play soft coverage. Thinking on the fly of what will work is a bit difficult in-game, so I want to work it out before I coach again. Also want to come up with a few new plays, specifically "fun" plays that the kids love to do. We did the halfback pass and double reverse this past year and the kids love practicing and doing them. Kind of keeps them interested and if I mix them in during plays practice during the week, they don't mind running routes for 15 minutes as much.

Other thing is I will redo the route distances, especially for the crossing routes and such, as some of them did not work like I had hoped.