Y-coach.com - Forum
Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
Sign in to follow this  

Any thoughts out there on teaching 5th grade girls to shoot free throws underhanded? Those of you old enough might remember Rick Barry who I believe is in the NBA Hall of Fame. He was one of the best freethrow shooters in the game and shot underhand (freethrows) his whole career. Anything wrong with letting the girls try it if it works better for them than overhand, especially since they are younger and not as strong.

Tim

I think you should shoot free throws any way that you make the most of them. Underhanded, conventional, or over-your-head if needed. It’s all about results not style. The trick will be to convince the kids that style doesn’t matter.

P.S.

Rick Berry is one of the best free throw shooters in history and is in the pro and college basketball halls-of-fame

My response is to prioritize your reasoning - is that the only way she can reach the goal; the only way she's learned up until now; or...the manner in which she is "consistent" - 5 out of 10 is consistent for an "experienced" 5th grader (boy or girl)? I would also begin by asking yourself if you would teach a 5th grade boy to shoot underhand? The fundamental shot is not "overhand"-strength comes from the legs, especially free throw line and out...and, kids are not old enough yet in 5th grade for gender to justify a developmental difference...and need to teach a skill in a manner that as they grow any older...a coach will never teach to shoot underhand unless they are dead-on ringer and unique like Mr. Berry. I would encourage you to teach and encourage her to shoot in a manner that she will transfer to all years ahead of her. I believe a better choice is to move her a step closer. Good luck...I know she'll thank you someday!