Y-coach.com - Forum
Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
Sign in to follow this  
Texas_D_Coach

Goal Line And Extra Point Plays

I've noticed in our league that more often than not (probably 75-80% of the time), teams fail to score the extra point in the younger divisions. In our league (NFL), we have no rush zones from the 5 yd line to the goal line. For extra points we have the choice of going for 1 point from the 5 yard line (must be a pass), or going for 2 from the 12 yard line (can be a pass or a rush). Shuffle passes are allowed but laterals are not.

Does anyone have any good plays that they have used successfully in goal line situations?

It seems in our league most teams play back in the end zone if the team goes for 1 and they do a variety of things when going for 2.

The only plays I've come up with so far are a quick shuffle pass to the center or the quick pass to the wideout.

Orange    26

One of my favorite plays, I call it an automatic play for short yardage, is the center drag. One of the things that I love to do is proceed it with a fake end around, even in the no-run zone. It's such a good misdirection play that it even works in the no-run zone. It's kind of funny, the other teams coach will be yelling, they have to pass! My receiver comes around and they all bite on the run anyway. Sometimes the other coach will even yell, run! when he sees the end around forming (the same guy who just a second ago said they have to pass). Make sure the receiver comes quickly either in motion or from the slot. Then have the center get just on the goal line and the qb sprint down the los with him (5-7 yards minimum). Alternatively the center can do a quick slant opposite the fake end around, just clear of the end zone but have him delay a little.

Another good play, is a flood or wash-type play. This version is from Coach Rob: Line up 3 receivers to the right of the center. On the snap those 3 receivers all run slants across the middle. The center delays and runs underneath them the other direction. Have your qb fake pump it at the crossing group and the center should be wide open. I'm going to post my updated playbook and you can see a version of it there. Also, check out the Orlando I-9 playbook I posted. There is a delay slant that does something similar.

• Like 3

rushbuster70    16

I definitely agree with orange.A fake end around works well.Also the center delay works well with the 3 WR running slants and having the center delay and going opposite side.I run this play every time in a goaline or no run zone situation.my qb already knows so they just go no huddle and run it right away.

I will post up some goaline plays I have also.I have 4 that no matter what you will score on.I've never ever had a team be able to stop any.other than my qb over/under throwing it we have scored.they work especially good with teams running a zone and the ones who run man have no chance lol...

Thanks for your input. I really like the center delay wash type play, and the fake end around sounds good too (I hadn't even thought about trying a fake run inside the 5 yd line.

Not sure I fully understand the center drag. Are you targeting the center with a quick pass? Our QB can't run so I'm not sure if in your play you have the QB rolling with the center or not.

Thenks for the playbook Orange. You opened my eyes to a whole new resource I didn't know existed (the playbook forum).

rushbuster70    16

Well basically its a pick play for the center.I put 3 WR over to the left.they all run a slant to the middle of the field and the center waits about 2 secs after the ball is hiked then he does a drag to the right side of the field.the qb can roll to the right or just stay in the pocket in throw.I like to have mine fake left then go throw to the center on the right...

OK now I am confused. What you're describing sounds just like the wash type play that Orange described. I thought the center drag was somehow different. Are they very similar or the same play?

Thanks.

Coach Rob    25
OK now I am confused. What you're describing sounds just like the wash type play that Orange described. I thought the center drag was somehow different. Are they very similar or the same play?Thanks.
Center drag I use is to the right. The center takes 1, 2 steps forward then follows the los to the right. Meanwhile the QB has moved to the right faking an end around coming back towards the left. Usually that's enough to suck in the defense and the QB passes to the center.

Wash play works the same except there's no fake end around. The 3 players right of the center run slants going to the left, the center takes a step back and follows the los to the right. QB pump fakes to his left as if he's throwing to the 3 receivers, then passes to center.

Vegas Coach    0

Great topic and thread!!! I find I have stalled for extra point attempts so I definitley need some ideas on "money plays". I love the center drag as well, however I have not run it with the wash out play. May have to try that one.....

Orange    26

I'll describe my center drag. When I was playing with no rusher I'd bring the wideout on an end around but now facing a rusher that takes too long. Instead, I'll use a wideout in motion so that he's close when the ball is snapped. Alternatively you can use a slot receiver since he has less distance to go. Have the qb execute a good fake with the receiver running left. Like I said it doesn't matter if its in the no-run zone, it fools them anyway, especially the younger kids. I find that amusing too, that the kids all bite on the fake run in the no-run zone, maybe I have a strange sense of humor. The center takes a step or two forward and basically delays or waits for the fake handoff. What you will see happen is the defenders over the middle will all go to the side of the fake run. After the fake handoff the qb sprints (runs quickly) down the line of scrimmage in the opposite direction. The center who is already 3 yards or so across the line of scrimmage runs parallel with the qb. They will get separation because of the misdirection and the center should be wide open. Also, since they both sprinted to the right down the line of scrimmage, the qb has to merely flip the ball about 3-4 yards, it's a very easy pass and catch. I have my qb throw a shuffle pass.

Key points:

Make sure they run down the line of scrimmage together, I always tell them, the qb sets the pace and the center has to keep up and not get ahead.

Make sure they run down the line of scrimmage 5+ yards before making the pass. The tendency is to pass it right away which limits the effectiveness of the play.

Make sure the qb does not cross the line of scrimmage. It might help to tell the qb to take a few steps back when he does the fake end around so he has some cushion.

Against a man defense this play is a killer anywhere on the field. If you empty the right side with the receiver coming on a fake end around the center will have nothing but green space.

Against a zone, the corner on that side can make a good play but will probably be confused by the qb sprinting out. Make sure the qb waits for the center to get open.

I cannot stress enough to have the qb sprint down with the center. The play will still work of the qb stays where he is but now he'll have to throw 10+ yards instead of 3 yards, increasing the level of difficulty.

Thanks Orange. I really like that play, but unfortunately in our league the QB cannot run with the ball , and so that would limit it's effectiveness. I still like the misdirection of the wash play though so we will give that a try.

Orange    26
Thanks Orange. I really like that play, but unfortunately in our league the QB cannot run with the ball , and so that would limit it's effectiveness. I still like the misdirection of the wash play though so we will give that a try.

You'd be surprised, the qb cannot run in our league either but it still works. The idea is not for him to run actually, it's for him to move the pocket towards the sidelines thus making the eventual throw to the dragging center an easy toss. I repeat, it is not a qb run. The reason it works is not the threat of the qb running, it's that the center breaks free of the defenders in the middle due to the misdirection AND because the qb moves the pocket towards the open sideline with the center AND they have a short throw. [Think of it as a rollout if you like, just that the qb stays close to the los]

I forgot what age group you've got but when we were 8 & under we'd run this play about 10 times a game, always getting 5 yards and sometimes breaking for lots more. Now that we are 10 & under we'll still run it but not as much.

Check out my playbook and you'll see what I mean, I think my old playbook has it diagrammed where you can see the qb's path parallel with the center.

Gotcha. Our kids are 8-9 yr olds. I understand rolling the pocket is different than a QB run, just not sure if the refs will call us on it or not. Either way it's worth giving it a try just to see. Ever get any calls from refs on this play?

Orange    26
Gotcha. Our kids are 8-9 yr olds. I understand rolling the pocket is different than a QB run, just not sure if the refs will call us on it or not. Either way it's worth giving it a try just to see. Ever get any calls from refs on this play?

If he calls it on you I'd be surprised and if it were me I'd argue till the cows come home. As a matter of fact we've run it for three years in two different leagues including a tournament with probably a dozen different refs and never once have they questioned it. A qb can scramble and move anywhere on the field as long as he does not cross the los. Rolling the pocket or sprinting down the los are all fine and dandy as long as he does not go across the line. The only time you'll have a problem is if your qb crosses the los. Believe me, that is the tendency so you need to practice it. Use cones to make sure your qb gets the idea. Also, have him take a couple of steps backwards too as that gives him cushion in case he moves a little forward before he makes the throw. I'd stand on the los when he practices it and watch him and make sure.

As I have written other places, we play 7-on-7 with blocking. Extra points are considered short yardage plays so there is NO BUFFER between the offensive and defensive lines (normally the d-line has to line up 3 yards back with immediate rush). We have not completed an extra point all year and I have tried just about everything. We have a good short yardage package that has netted a touchdown and several first downs (including one that allowed us to run out the clock in our last game), but that extra point seems to be a psychological hurdle that we cannot clear.

Our execution is TERRIBLE on the plays compared to normal - any ideas to get the kids refocused on the PAT after scoring? I might go with a 'trick play' to get the kids thinking about the game again. I started thinking about the mindset of the kids after I watch us get beat on the first 2 offensive plays by each of our opponents. I have seen it discussed in the past here on getting the kids 'into' the game (my kid is the biggest culprit as he has missed flag pulls in the backfield on the first play of both our games - plays he normally makes in his sleep). With 10 kids on the, maybe I should substitute a new group in for the PAT.

Maybe try going out of the shotgun on the goaline plays. That might give your QB a bit more time and vision when throwing. I really like the misdirection plays that have been suggested here so those are the first thing I'm going to try this weekend.

I like the substitution idea for the extra point, although I'm not sure how it might affect the players in a real game setting. One similar thing that might be effective is just switching QB's for the extra point (and let the other QB be a reciever). That might wake them up a little.

Johnp2    20

This is a good topic. Extra points in our league are five yards---two points are 10 yards---anything goes (meaning you can run, pass, skip, whatever---as long as the ball gets in someone's posession in the end zone).

We play 8 on 8 with blocking. I rarely go for two unless I absolutely have to (as I'm sure most of us do).

For our extra point play (five yards), we have a bread and butter play that worked well last year. I'll do my best to explain:

1. I formation (I put a receiver behind the QB and the RB behind the receiver). My two other receivers are split left. One next to the LG and the other out wide.

2. When ball is snapped, the OL influence blocks right and we fake hand-off to the receiver left (through the 1 hole). The RB also runs left as if to block.

3. After faking to the receiver, the QB takes one step back and hands off to the LG who is running parallel to the LOS.

4. The LG turns through the 0 or 2 hole and (hopefully) is in for the score.

The key here is to obviously get the defense moving in the opposite direction. Aside from counters, I've learned that influence blocking can really trick up a defense with 6-8 year olds. ;-)

If we run a two point conversion, we'll fake a hand-off through the middle somewhere and throw a fade to our tallest receiver.