Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Quick Poll

In our league (like most, I'm sure) they "say" we aren't supposed to keep track of wins and losses, which I've always found odd since: 1) Every team does it. 2) There is a scoreboard keeping score, 3) The league has a web page that posts the standings of each league, and 4) There is a tournament that seeds based on the standings and crowns a champion. ;-) But I digress . . .

I make no bones about it--I keep score. When we lose, my players know it (it's an excercise in keeping their heads up) and when we win they know it.

Another thing I do is keep stats. I do this for a myriad of reasons, but the primary reason is each week I put together a team newsletter. In the newsletter, each player has his own "section", and I tout the wonderful things that player did in the last game. I also try to personalize it, but providing snippets of funny things that player said/did in practices and the game that week. Additionally, I have a "Team Stats" section where I breakdown individual season stats for Carries, YPR, Catches, YPC, TDs, Flag pulls, INTs, QB sacks, QB pressures, and "Key blocks". The latter is more subjective than anything, and really anytime a player makes a block that affect the play, he gets a key block.

Tracking this can be a little difficult, but I've developed a short-hand system where I log every play once the play is over. Typically takes 2-3 seconds to log the play. I'm curious if others do this.

Please note that before anyone calls me out for this, the reason I am doing this is simple: I want each player and his parents to see all the wonderful things that player is doing, and know that it is being both noticed and appreciated. I've done this each year I've coached, and the parents really enjoy the newsletter and most tell me they save it as a keepsake for their kids. It's funny as I can sometimes be long-winded (no---really, I can) so sometimes they get 3-4 pages long. ;-)

Sounds like you are using the stats for a good purpose (newsletter) so more power to ya. Personally I haven't found the time to record any stats as I'm always too busy watching and correcting what happened on the previous play and setting up the next play to jot them down.

Yep, it also allows me to quickly see how many touches a player has had (so I can spread the ball evenly). As mentioned, I've got it down where it takes literally a few seconds. I'll do something like the players initials and then the stat. i.e. JP R 4. I'll use symbols for first downs (a check mark), fourth down flag pull (a star), etc. I thought about asking someone to do it a few years ago, but once I came up with the "short-hand" it hasn't been an issue really. This season I am asking for a defensive coach and will allow him to be on the field while we are on defense (with me on the bench), so that will certainly give me more time to be verbose in my notes. ;-)

I use to never keep stats or any of that stuff...kinda funny as soon as I did we started winning lol.I keep track of receptions,runs,td's,interceptions and flag pulls....its worked out well since we have started doing that

No, we have never kept stats. This league allows us to post the kids stats online if we want but I don't see the point.

I don't keep stats per say. What I do is I have a chart with each players name. For each game I try to write at least 3 positive things that each player did for each half. During half time I go over each positive thing that each player has done and I heap on the praise and then I do the same thing at the end of the game. This has worked much better for me than stats as I can have plenty to say about each player. It has really amazed me how much hard the kids tend to play when they know that I am looking for the good things that they do. I tend to look at things like hustle, team work, passing, executing what we have worked on in practice, etc.

Just my 2 cents.

Charlie

Charlie, I think what you are doing is a wonderful thing. My stats augment my "praise" for the player, and has been thoroughly enjoyed by all parents for every season I have coached---so I have been fortunate with that. It's as if I'm taking those great things you log and tout to your players and simply documenting them for their parents to see. Send me a PM and I'm glad to shoot you an example of one of my newsletters. You certainly seem to have the right attitude and might want to consider doing something like that (as I'd recommend to any coach). It's a cool thing to see the look on parents faces when my wife hands them out and everyone of them stops what they are doing and reads them intentively. ;-)

It started after my first ever game coaching four years ago. I was coaching 4-5 year old co-ed soccer. The kids were so hilarious on the field with the things they would say (apologizing to the ref when they kicked the ball out of bounds, etc.). I had a 5-year old girl in goalie (she had never played soccer in her life). The first shot on goal---it went in. She jumped up and said, "That was fun. I can't wait for them to kick it to me again so I can block it." And that is just what she did---pitched a shut-out (blocking four goals) the rest of the game. I thought that was quite impressive and thought not only do I want her parents to know what she did, but I want the entire team to know about that. Thus it was born . . .

Thanks!

We've always kept stats and post them every game. I use it to see who needs more attempted rushes, receptions and td's. It also shows me who is pulling flags on D. It helps us a lot in making sure we aren't "playing favorites" on offense.

CRob

I said we didn't keep stats and really we never did but today we did. My assistants older son asked if he could and I said fine if he wanted to. We agreed to use it for internal purposes, making sure everyone got the ball, who was making the plays etc. It was nice to have but I'm not going to post them or make them available to anyone else.

Yep, it also allows me to quickly see how many touches a player has had (so I can spread the ball evenly). As mentioned, I've got it down where it takes literally a few seconds. I'll do something like the players initials and then the stat. i.e. JP R 4. I'll use symbols for first downs (a check mark), fourth down flag pull (a star), etc. I thought about asking someone to do it a few years ago, but once I came up with the "short-hand" it hasn't been an issue really. This season I am asking for a defensive coach and will allow him to be on the field while we are on defense (with me on the bench), so that will certainly give me more time to be verbose in my notes. ;-)

We didn't keep stats last season, but I'd like to this season. Mainly to make sure each kid is getting fair playing time. I like your shorthand idea. One problem here in Seattle is that we can count on rain for most games, especially in the Spring. Any suggestions on keeping the notes in wet weather? I was thinking of maybe a voice recorder that I would refer to later and write down the stats. But that may be too much work.

Also, can you send me a copy of your newsletter? It sounds like a great tool.