Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Kind Of A Pitch-out

Last year I found the pitch to be more trouble then it's worth (for us at least). I like the idea of it, but felt it was lacking something. Hence I designed this play.

In a nutshell:

1. Two backs behind the QB. One (MR) on his right hip, and the other (RB) a few yards back to his left.

2. QB hands-off to the MR who is moving right to left (and then the QB rolls out left as if to pass).

3. The MR stops right at the line of scrimmage and pitches it to the RB who is running left to right.

This is legal in our league and think if executed properly (the obvious key here) will catch the defense off-balance and give us that extra step to gain some good yardage. I've attached the play. Give me your thoughts. Thanks!

post-10378-1223936139_thumb.jpg

Last year I found the pitch to be more trouble then it's worth (for us at least). I like the idea of it, but felt it was lacking something. Hence I designed this play.

In a nutshell:

1. Two backs behind the QB. One (MR) on his right hip, and the other (RB) a few yards back to his left.

2. QB hands-off to the MR who is moving right to left (and then the QB rolls out left as if to pass).

3. The MR stops right at the line of scrimmage and pitches it to the RB who is running left to right.

This is legal in our league and think if executed properly (the obvious key here) will catch the defense off-balance and give us that extra step to gain some good yardage. I've attached the play. Give me your thoughts. Thanks!

It's hard for me to say because your league is different with the number of players and allowing blocking. My initial thought is that having the MR take the handoff then stop turn and pitch is a difficult move for a younger kid, especially when the defense is going to come immediately in after he gets the handoff. He'll have all this momentum going towards the los and then have to stop and plant to get a good pitch backwards. They will probably tend to pitch it before stopping completely which will result in weak and under thrown pitches. It would be a lot easier to fake the handoff to the MR and then have the QB pitch to the HB who is swinging wide. We have a play like that in our playbook and it works very well. We fake the end around and then toss a shuffle pass to the HB on the other side. If you go that route, have the MR sweep behind the QB so the QB can turn his back and hide the ball. Plus he'll already be facing the HB so the shuffle will be easier.

I thought about the fake hand-off to the MR then pitch, but on paper this seems more effective. Last season, my MR could have pulled this off. Not sure if he is back this year or not (STILL have not received my roster).

Yes, because we can block, he will be given a "shield" prior to him pitching back. This is interesting to note as well because last year we only had one "flag for loss" while on offense all season and that was simply because the ball-carrier went to the outside (which was covered) cut back and then went backwards. But because our players get that initial surge with their blocks, we can usually get an open yard or two off the LOS. In fact, there were some teams last season that did NOT block (which I found very odd because it is allowed) and my Nose Guard would just shoot the gap once the hand-off was taken and we had quite a few "flags for loss" on defense.

We'll see how it goes--I might add the play later in the season if the kids master the current plays I have designed. Thanks for the feedback!

We've been doing a lot of pitching this season and I can tell you that in order for a kid to make a good one, they have to use their body. The best way is for them to step in the direction of the pitch. If not it usually falls short because of their lack of upper body strength. I have been running an option where they pitch laterally to the direction of the run but the level of difficulty goes up. Your play has them pitching it 180 degrees from their initial momentum and that's what would concern me. If he has a good shield and can take the time then it could work. But you are going to want to have a decent length pitch because if they are too close then you are negating the effect of the play.

Well . . . my MR (and RB) are both back---so that is the first step. This was one of those plays I designed an hour or two after a game last season (which I think is the best time to design for me at least). I certainly know it will be challenging, but I have--what I feel at least--are much more complex plays in my playbook. I think I'll know after the first few times we try it in practice if it is worth adding. In other words, I think it's one of those plays that if you have players with the aptitude to pitch and catch (which I think these two do) then with some repetition it can be mastered fairly quickly. However, if it seems to complex for their physical skills to handle, then I won't force it on them. But again, I'm sure I'll get a feel for it when/if we practice it.

This is the first year I've ever returned more than one player (whom is the only player I've agreed to take back each season) and now that I've opened it up and have five returning players I think it gives me a head start on knowing what will/won't work.