Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
indicolt

4th And 5th Grade Girls Passing Problems

I am coaching a 4th and 5th grade girls team that in the league it is man to man defense only. It is early in the season and the problem I am having is when the gaurds bring the ball up to make the first pass they are having trouble with their timing. With a defender on them they are either late with the pass(and it gets stolen) or they pick up their dribble.

We haven't played a game yet and I see us turning the ball over alot in these situations. We are running a 2-1-2 wheel offense that we will give and go, pass and screen away, etc.

That first pass is so important and I would like to see all the girls be able to make it(not just the one or two naturals)

I know that reputition is the answer but was just looking for some drills and advice that that may make the girls a little more comfortable in this skill.

This is a common problem with youths. Here are a few things that can help.

- have your point guard look off the defense. In other words, dont give away the pass with her eyes. Have her either look the other way until it's time to make the pass, or have her look straight ahead until it's time to make the pass. You can even have her dribble at an angle to the left and then go right with the pass or visa versa.

- Set a pick for the receiver of the first pass. Bring the receiver from the other side of the court and set a screen at some point near the middle of the court.

- make sure the point guard uses a bounce pass when appropriate, this will help

- teach the receiver of the first pass some kind of double move. To fake one way and go the other to free herself up. Usually a hard step or two toward the goal should back the defender off enough for her to be able to come back to the ball.

- It starts with the point guard though. Make sure she knows how to keep her body between the defender and the ball when dribbling, and don't let her terminate her dribble until it's time to make the pass. This will keep the defense from swarming her and the receiver