Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Husker Fan

5 On 5 Playbook, No Pitch

Provided is a playbook for a 5 on 5 player league, 3rd and 4th graders, no pitches allowed, no QB run, rusher(s) start 7 lines from the line of scrimmage.

Thanks to Coach Rob and Orange that helped me get started last year. It was the basis for my playbook and we had a very successful year in 2008. This was our playbook and was revised/tweaked throughout the year to play to our strengths. Any offense has to be adjusted to the players. We had very good QBs who could throw short and deep with accurracy and some speedy kids that opend up a lot of play options.

I have seen some posts on the forum regarding defense. Our general philosphoy was to have 4 defensive backs at the 7 yard rush line, and a "nose" tackle about 3 yards off of the center. We would rush one of our faster kids that could pull flags. This formation worked very well and kept plays in front of us and allowed the players to react better. The nose tackle played off the line far enough that he could react and not get sucked up to bad on misdirection of quick handoff. If the opponent tried to run the middle on us, we could split 2 nose tackes on either side of the center and keep them 3 yards off the line, but we didn't need to do this much. The deep DBs could leave us open to quick strickes to the wide reciever at the LOS. But when we moved up the DB a few steps that was solved and only one team we faced was able to throw darts to the wide recievers.

Best Wishes to All and Have Fun!!

Husker Fan

Husker Fan,

I saw your post and was really looking forward to seeing your plays but they don't seem to be uploaded here. Caould you try again uploading them?

Thanks.

We had a very explosive offense and moved the ball up and down the field and used all of the plays to some extent, some more than others. With that said, the Orange Drags were almost always successful and typically we had our slowest player run the pattern. We used these for extra points and where we needed 5 yards or so. The Green and Red Shallow Crosses also were successful and went a little deeper than the drag, however harder to execute with all the crossing traffic, but usually open. We had right handed QBs so the Red Cross was a more difficult pass to complete. The quick inside reverses consistently worked with speedy runners, even when the defense was crowding the line. Most games I would start with the delayed dive right play so I could see what defense we would be playing against, it also was successful and went for several touchdowns and long yardage gains. We put the red/green cross dive in at the end of the year because in team practice scrimmages the defense knew what play we would run when we lined up, so we were trying to mix it up. It fooled our defense in practice and worked very well the limited number of times we ran it during a game. I have used the deep crossing patterns for two years with good success (requires a strong armed QB). The QB run-pass options where we intended to pass would work very well if the defense had a poor to moderate rush, a speedy rush would blow it up. Since it took longer to develop, it also required a QB with a strong arm since the recievers would be farther down field. Success at having the QB take the run option depended on the speed of the QB that was in the game.

Let us know if you try any and how they work out.