Y-coach.com - Forum
CoachZ

Teaching Kindergaten Boys To Shoot A Basketball

My group of Kindergarteners have 2 boys that can shoot very well. The others are...having problems. Most of the posts I've read is to limit teaching on "proper" shooting techniques. I agree, most aren't ready for it.

However!

They need to learn how to get it over the rim! I've seen all of them shoot it high enough a few times, and make it in once or twice so far. So, they have the power to get it up to 8 feet. The problem is that they don't do that very often.

What parts of proper shooting form should I work on? Using your legs, bending, extending arms, etc.

Basically- I just want to see them get the ball high enough, they seem to have the strength, but no idea how to harness it into a shot.

I also need some drills, to teach this.

Thanks

Chris

wow! Kindergarteners, pretty young, never even thought of drill for that age! Get there legs involved! I would have them jump up and down each practice, then have them jump up and down with a ball. If you can convey to them that shooting comes from the legs not the arms you should get somewhere.

Make up a drill where they get a star or some physical reward for hitting the box on the backboard 5 times in a row.

You could explain the jump stop to them and work that into a drill.

C

I'd highly recommend grabbing a few balls with hand prints on them, we still have a few from our kindergarten days. They look similar to the ones in this picture: http://www.thegrillstoreandmore.com/image/...ics/468142b.jpg There's a handprint in the center and one on the side. You're probably right in that they won't have the strength to use proper form, but the earlier the better with regards to hand position.

Couple of thoughts on drills or explaining to them how to shoot. Teaching them that the ball should make an arc or a curve like an upside down banana or a rainbow. Might even help to bring in a picture of a rainbow.

Another possibility is bringing in something to hold up a few feet from the basket near the rim, something like a pool noodle http://ctrmovies.com/files/pool_noodles.jpg so they have to get the ball over it.

Not sure if they're ready for this, you could try having them lay on their backs and shoot up in the air. You want the ball to come down just above your nose. Problem is they end up getting whacked in the nose if they can't catch it in time.

cgh is right on with the whole leg thing. Most kids even at 3rd/4th tend to use more arm than legs.

CRob

have them get in a line and follow you around the court, think of Snow White and the bball dwarves or a momma duck and her babies. Have a few parents with some paper marked with pictures the kids drew, have the parents hold up the paper and have the entire team say what it is. Start slow. I have spent more time correcting ball watching dribblers it might be a good idea to start early.