Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

Watched A Good Game

I watched the championship game of our I-9 10 & under league. We had been eliminated in the opening round but I wanted to watch and hopefully learn from the two best teams. There are 20 teams in our age category so the two best teams were pretty darn good. Here are some things that I observed.

There were two teams, the Colts and the Bucs. We had played against the Colts in last years open tournament and lost by 7 points. They went on to become the runner up in that tournament (we lost in the semifinals). So I knew the Colts were good and well coached but not tremendously better than us. They ended up winning yesterday 20-0, the score not indicating how much they dominated.

One of the things that struck me most, was the efficiency of their offense in several aspects. They would get in and out of the huddle almost instantly. I was taking notes between plays and I had to hurry because they set up for the next play so quickly. The other team was a lot slower in comparison but clearly used a normal amount of time. As a side note my team was painfully slow getting in and out of the huddle. I think this is mostly because my OC was slow to pick and set up the plays. The Colts used the same formation for series of plays while the Bucs switched from play to play. I think this helped them get the play in and out quickly. They never caught the defense off guard as in a quick snap but they did make them hurry to the los a few times.

Another that struck me was that they would execute their passes before the rusher was a factor. They were a couple of exceptions where the qb would buy time to set up a longer pass but that was infrequent. As a matter of fact the Bucs did the same thing. They had a large immobile qb who basically just stood there and didn't move. He threw passes before the rusher got to him.

The Colts were super efficient in their pass %. They threw short and completed often. They threw a couple of passes that accounted for almost all of their offense, and some were preceded by an end around or fake end around. Their typical formation was twins right (or left) and no back. The wrs were split very wide. They would bring one of the twins in motion and either run end around or fake it. They liked to throw a short out to the center right after that. Another pass they liked is one of the twins would run a go pattern and the other would run a quick slant which they hit often. They also ran the end around and had him throw. They seemed to like the twin package. Another formation they liked was what I call balanced. One hb, and a wr each side. They would run it very tight though which I found interesting. They loved to throw a swingout to the hb in this formation. The Bucs also liked to throw the swingout to the hb.

Another thing that struck me about the Colts is that they had several vocal kids on defense. They were shouting and calling out suspected formations and plays. It was pretty cool watching them. They would fly in and were very good at pulling flags.

The Bucs ran a standard 1-1-3 throughout. The Colts ran a tight 1-1-3, a deep 1-1-3 and a standard 2-1-2 interchangeably.

Here are some of the Colts plays. The first 4 plays are the first 4 plays they ran in the game. Play #3 resulted in a td, and play #4 was the extra point. They ran play #2 and play #3 more often than than any other play in the game. When in the tight formation they ran the two plays I sketched here mostly. The other two plays at the bottom were interesting gimmick plays I thought were worth showing. That was probably their only trick plays.

colts_plays.pdf

Orange,

I love running a bunch set having a WR on each side and a RB in the backfield.I've come to find out that bunching formations has had a lot of success for me.When I do trips I now bunch them right next to center.Almost all of my plays are bunch now because it seems to confuse the defense because everyone is close.

I've had teams be able to pick apart a 1-1-3 Def.Run the ball outside.Or throw it short.Alot of short stuff will always work on that defense because there is a lot of open space..Send Multiple people deep into 1 guys zone and the takes care of that.Crossing patterns will work against that also

I'm glad you were able to get some insight on the game.I've done that before also.I just didnt post it up here.I love watching better teams play to see if you can learn more things.

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Colts did not have a shotgun formation. All of the snaps came from directly under center. The Bucs had a few shotgun plays but not very many.

Thank you very much for this info Orange..... I too have watched better teams and studied their formations... I applaud you for continuing to add more and m ore to this board, this is good stuff!

Another interesting thing I noticed is that the Colts did not have a shotgun formation. All of the snaps came from directly under center. The Bucs had a few shotgun plays but not very many.
Very helpful info, thanks Orange. I'm surprised the Colts didn't use the shotgun. Did they have a lot of play action going on or just zip passes right off the los?

Very helpful info, thanks Orange. I'm surprised the Colts didn't use the shotgun. Did they have a lot of play action going on or just zip passes right off the los?

In their twin package they liked to fake the end around and throw to the center. It was very similar to what we run with the exception that they bunch the twins split very wide. Since the receiver came in motion the play would execute quickly after the snap. When they ran balanced they would look off the defense and then throw the swingout or fake towards the swingout and go back to the center. Again, that's exactly how we ran the swingout (except we didn't bunch towards the middle), however we didn't fake it like they did and pass to the center. The twin formation quick slants were just that, quick. Later in the game they would fake pump at the slanting receiver and then try to hit the other receiver on a fly route. Their qb just stood there and threw it to a spot. He had a good arm and was trying to throw it like a timing route with air underneath hoping the receiver would run underneath it. They hit it once for a td. I rarely saw a Colts qb running around avoiding the rush, the plays went so fast. The Bucs didn't even pretend to avoid the rush.

Here are some of the Colts plays. The first 4 plays are the first 4 plays they ran in the game. Play #3 resulted in a td, and play #4 was the extra point. They ran play #2 and play #3 more often than than any other play in the game. When in the tight formation they ran the two plays I sketched here mostly. The other two plays at the bottom were interesting gimmick plays I thought were worth showing. That was probably their only trick plays.

Orange, which plays are 3 & 4? Do you read this L to R or up and down?

thanks,

Fun

Orange, which plays are 3 & 4? Do you read this L to R or up and down?

thanks,

Fun

Top left is #1, top right is #2, the one below #1 is #3, the one below #2 is #4 and so on.

Thanks for sharing Orange! I am going to try some of these this weekend, it will be our last game. Lucky for me we have a winter leauge that will start in Jan and most of the kids will be with me again. This was my 1st time coaching - 12-14 yr old kids, 5-on-5. We have all learned a lot and have had a great time.

Cheers

A friend of mine coached a 12 & under I-9 team in our league that won the championship. They only lost one game in the regular season and then beat that team in the playoffs. I sat down with him to get some insight into what he did to be successful. Here are some of the highlights.

He formed a team of athletes. His son is very good at all sports, especially baseball as are most of the other kids on the team. They have not played flag football in a few years, this wasn't some legacy team with a lot of experience. They just got together and decided to play. He chose 8 kids total which seemed like a small team to me. He liked it though as there were no weak links and his better players got to play more than 50%. All his kids were 12, turning 13 so they were as physically developed as you can get at that level.

I asked to see his playbook and his reply was "I don't have one." He called all the plays in the huddle in a very simple system. They would line up in shotgun with two wideouts and a slot receiver right or left. He'd bring the slot in motion most every play. The players were numbered and he'd say something like, "slot right motion, #5 quick slant." That was it. #5 was the right wideout and he'd run a quick slant. The other players would run whatever they chose as long as they were clear of the #5 receiver. They'd do an end around once in a while. The players always played the same spot. He says he'd just look for mismatches and even ask the kids if they could get open or beat their defender. Their qb was a big kid with a great arm but immobile. That's why they liked shotgun. They would sometimes fake the end around and then throw to the slot on a swing pass. He said that worked often as they would leave the slot alone after the fake.

On defense they began the year in man exclusively. After getting beat they switched to a 2 1 2 and sometimes a 1 1 3 zone. But they still ran man a lot.

Orange,

Wow...I'd like to know what kind of defenses the other team was running.I dont know how that could be successful.I mean unless a team is running nothing but man to man then yea obviously misdirection and stuff like that will work.But if you playing a zone defense that would shut down that offense quick...

I have a ton of plays now.I came up with a playbook of about 50-60 plays.Some are for man defense.Some are for zone defense.But either way no matter what kind of team you have the plays will work as long as they are taught right.I've combined things I've done in the past to work with what I have now and basically the past season all we did was see what kind of talent we had and fit the plays to match the talent.It worked perfect.We lost in the championship game but it was a close game.

But anyway I just dont see how that could work.I just think for developing players and there skills that just isnt right to me.