Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
hollad6636

Colt's Plays

5 posts in this topic

‚Äč
Some of the colt's plays as posted by Orange.

Thank you for posting that for the community. I also copied my comments from that thread below:

"I watched the championship game of our I-9 10 & under league. We had been eliminated in the opening round but I wanted to watch and hopefully learn from the two best teams. There are 20 teams in our age category so the two best teams were pretty darn good. Here are some things that I observed.

There were two teams, the Colts and the Bucs. We had played against the Colts in last years open tournament and lost by 7 points. They went on to become the runner up in that tournament (we lost in the semifinals). So I knew the Colts were good and well coached but not tremendously better than us. They ended up winning yesterday 20-0, the score not indicating how much they dominated.

One of the things that struck me most, was the efficiency of their offense in several aspects. They would get in and out of the huddle almost instantly. I was taking notes between plays and I had to hurry because they set up for the next play so quickly. The other team was a lot slower in comparison but clearly used a normal amount of time. As a side note my team was painfully slow getting in and out of the huddle. I think this is mostly because my OC was slow to pick and set up the plays. The Colts used the same formation for series of plays while the Bucs switched from play to play. I think this helped them get the play in and out quickly. They never caught the defense off guard as in a quick snap but they did make them hurry to the los a few times.

Another that struck me was that they would execute their passes before the rusher was a factor. They were a couple of exceptions where the qb would buy time to set up a longer pass but that was infrequent. As a matter of fact the Bucs did the same thing. They had a large immobile qb who basically just stood there and didn't move. He threw passes before the rusher got to him.

The Colts were super efficient in their pass %. They threw short and completed often. They threw a couple of passes that accounted for almost all of their offense, and some were preceded by an end around or fake end around. Their typical formation was twins right (or left) and no back. The wrs were split very wide. They would bring one of the twins in motion and either run end around or fake it. They liked to throw a short out to the center right after that. Another pass they liked is one of the twins would run a go pattern and the other would run a quick slant which they hit often. They also ran the end around and had him throw. They seemed to like the twin package. Another formation they liked was what I call balanced. One hb, and a wr each side. They would run it very tight though which I found interesting. They loved to throw a swingout to the hb in this formation. The Bucs also liked to throw the swingout to the hb.

Another thing that struck me about the Colts is that they had several vocal kids on defense. They were shouting and calling out suspected formations and plays. It was pretty cool watching them. They would fly in and were very good at pulling flags.

The Bucs ran a standard 1-1-3 throughout. The Colts ran a tight 1-1-3, a deep 1-1-3 and a standard 2-1-2 interchangeably. "

The Bucs ran a standard 1-1-3 throughout. The Colts ran a tight 1-1-3, a deep 1-1-3 and a standard 2-1-2 interchangeably. "

I have set up a 1-1-3 D for our 6&7yo flag team.

I have set up a 1-1-3 D for our 6&7yo flag team. One rusher from 7 yards out. No QB toss. Games start next week. I have my fastest / best flag fuller at the RUSH position and my best football player at the safety playing for INTs. Our corners are good but small, and I am concerned that we may give up too much to a QB outside. Then again, I don't expect much outside from a 7 yo QB, that's why I went with 1-1-3. Our nose man is less skilled and small.

We plan to send the rusher often and have the safety drift up and read the QB.

What has been your experience? Any comments on our casting of the characters is appreciated too. I can't wait to see how this plays out.