Y-coach.com - Forum
hollad6636

Are You Going To Finish Strong?

I was reading Bobcats post and I'm thinking that I have been there too. Sometimes it gets really frustrating and it's easy to fall into the wrong attitude.

I think this is a great inspirational video and is perfect for reminding us not to give up.

Nick Vujicic has no arms or legs but has come to terms with his lot in life and he delivers an inspirational speech to these kids that they will probably never forget.

http://www.maniacworld.com/are-you-going-t...ish-strong.html

I was reading Bobcats post and I'm thinking that I have been there too. Sometimes it gets really frustrating and it's easy to fall into the wrong attitude.

I think this is a great inspirational video and is perfect for reminding us not to give up.

Nick Vujicic has no arms or legs but has come to terms with his lot in life and he delivers an inspirational speech to these kids that they will probably never forget.

http://www.maniacworld.com/are-you-going-t...ish-strong.html

I will be showing this too my 2 groups at practice today along with the motivational speeches from youtube that another reader sent.It is frustrating and I do try to remind myself when my brain allows that there are more pressing issues in this world.Im not a quitter and I was telling my fiancee on the drive back home from the game last night that more than wins/losses I just want the kids to experience something positive through all this hard work inpractice and what have ya.This has been going on for at least 3 -4 years with all this losing and Im greatful to be a part of that group.Im truly blessed.They say the Good Lord has a plan for all of us and just maybe it was for me to come into there life and enrich them as a whole.Im a players coach and am proud of that but among things I preach and especially in a game I tell'em please DONT GIVE UP.We scored the 1st 2 points last night and I thought we were on our way but we dropped that game 35-15.Were now 0-10 for each group.Today starts yet another way to hopefully deal with them in a more personal manner and that is to break the 7/8th graders into 2 different practice times for more of a 1 on 1 if you will.I'll keep you posted.Thanks for the Vid...I needed that and Im hoping it will move my players as well.

p.s. These kinda seasons definetely test your resolve and make you wonder if it's worth it.Ya tend to appreciate the good times only when you've gone through...well what Im going through...right?

Bobcats,

Just reading your post I know you are about the same age as me. I am 44 years old. I have finally come to realize that this generation just doesn't approach life the same way we did. They just don't seem to have the drive to be the best that they can be. Not just in playing sports but in anything that they do. They just seem to be happy doing the minimum that they can get by with. This of course is speaking in general terms, but it is amazing that the few who get it and do strive to be the best really stand out, not because of their talent but because of the determination.

Keep the faith.

When I was coaching the girls I sat them down at the beginning of the season and had a talk with them.

The theme was "no one is throwing grenades or shooting at them, put it into perspective it's a game"

I then related a couple real word experiences I have had over the years of deployments and activations, Rescue work turning into recovery during 911, working 2 days straight helping a town full of strangers survive a natural disaster, running a live range where the kids were a few years older than my team, wearing a vest and carrying a loaded M16 in a US city.

I relayed some of the serious stuff in an effort to make the kids realize they have it good and they need to appreciate that they have been granted the privilage to step onto a basketball court, and the responsibility they have to give it 110% for all the people who can't.

C

When I was coaching the girls I sat them down at the beginning of the season and had a talk with them.

The theme was "no one is throwing grenades or shooting at them, put it into perspective it's a game"

I then related a couple real word experiences I have had over the years of deployments and activations, Rescue work turning into recovery during 911, working 2 days straight helping a town full of strangers survive a natural disaster, running a live range where the kids were a few years older than my team, wearing a vest and carrying a loaded M16 in a US city.

I relayed some of the serious stuff in an effort to make the kids realize they have it good and they need to appreciate that they have been granted the privilage to step onto a basketball court, and the responsibility they have to give it 110% for all the people who can't.

Wow you really do have some experience and real life stories to tell.I did however take and show my 2 groups(the 10 that showed up)both videos and everytime I watch the gentleman with out any limbs it brings me to tears and puts a frog in my throat.I truly believe the kids wanna win but have never known how and going through coaches Im guessing every year or two doesnt help.They cant get comfortable with 1 system and 1 coaches way of thinking.Maybe this is why when I tell'em they need to buy into my system there a little reluctant to so let that be a lesson for me as well.I truly feel for these kids and I only want the best for them both on/off the court.Any truly good coach would.

C

Thats for sure, relating real word experiences has always grounded my teams and taken the unneeded pressure off them. I've had a few 0-13 seasons, but I have always let the girls know that it's a game, even @ 0-13 if you have improved your skills then we are winners, if you work hard enough at the basics you win games, you win a game or 2 you start believing you can win and you start to win a few more.

CGH is right on the money - as long as they are improving week to week they are winners. I am having one of those season's right now with my younger team. We are facing the press for the first time and I am lacking that true point guard. We are 3-3 right now and all three losses were blowouts because we could not handle the press. Every week I find myself working drills and beating the press in practice and that it. It is very frustrating when you go over and over something and then you get to the game and they execute it a few times and then they go back to their old ways. A lot of it is them buying into to what you are teaching them and then having confidence in executing it. I hate losing and it is very fustrating but I do my best not to let it show to the kids. I keep trying to keep them positive and pointing out their improvements but for a few kids I just want to scream and ask them why they even bother showing up because they are in there own little world.

Therre I feel better.

Good luck this weekend all!

CGH is right on the money - as long as they are improving week to week they are winners. I am having one of those season's right now with my younger team. We are facing the press for the first time and I am lacking that true point guard. We are 3-3 right now and all three losses were blowouts because we could not handle the press. Every week I find myself working drills and beating the press in practice and that it. It is very frustrating when you go over and over something and then you get to the game and they execute it a few times and then they go back to their old ways. A lot of it is them buying into to what you are teaching them and then having confidence in executing it. I hate losing and it is very fustrating but I do my best not to let it show to the kids. I keep trying to keep them positive and pointing out their improvements but for a few kids I just want to scream and ask them why they even bother showing up because they are in there own little world.

Therre I feel better.

Good luck this weekend all!

2 things come to mind in reading your thread and that is having a true point guard and buying into the system.When you lose as much as these kids have it's hard to find a bright spot to start.I did show them the 2 videos and hope that will leave a lasting impression that it's NOT the end of the world and there are things worse that we cant necessarily conquer.The coach this group had before was a girls coach and there coach.Needless to say he had both practices at the sam time and stories Ive been told is he paid more attention to the Girls then the boys.I looked in each one of there eyes this last game at halftime and told of how much I believe in them among other things.Just wish we could have 1 close game down the line somewhere so they could hang there hat on that and build on it.Anyway with the 8th graders the other day after watching those videos we started at halfcourt and made a start with the 5 players.I set the ball in the middle of the court and told'em when you pick that ball up that(the vids)are how were gonna practice especially after just watched them kinda tear up or get choked up would get'em going.Time will tell.Have a great weekend that have and continue to help me with this as I also hope Im providing feedback as well. God Bless

One last thought, make sure you as a coach isn't afraid to change it up during a game. Had an opposing coach in a playoff game go man to man on me, we beat him earlier in the season using a very agressive man to man press, it was relentless and punishing. So we meet up in the playoff, I like the guy very smart coach, but he made a huge mistake he decided to use the same game plan I used, bad news is he only had 2 girls on the bench as opposed to my 6. I pulled the girls in and let them know they would be running all out this game and subs would be hockey style every 45 to 60 seconds a sub was kneeling by the bench. He lasted about 3/4 of the game then his girls hit the wall and we were still tearing around like lunatics. What he should have done is change to a switch to a zone or triangle as soon as he saw what I was doing, he may have won the game.

I ran into him this year and we shared a chuckle about that game, he did say he figured out what I was upto but failed to act because he felt it was better to stick to his original plan.

C