Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Coach3

Maybe Gaining Momenum...hmmmm

Well our teams are a combined 0-22.Starting to sink in and not so depressive.This week saw my teams lose by only 7-8 points respectively.Seems like I may have stepped on some toes this last game with my 8th graders because they werent playing well.Oh well.Never been one to show favoritism.I actually had 2 kids at the same time show there well during a timeout.I had planned on sitting them both the last quarter but my big guy tried to put a dent in the floor with his head.Needless to say he came out and I brought 1 of those boys back in.Personally I like him better but thats nor here nor there.He came in and made 3-3pointers which made the final out come closer.I want contributions and if all your gonna keep doing is making bonehead plays guess where you'll be?Besides me..correct.I've started taking that stance here the last couple of games and I stick by it.Next year will be different with the players/parents all signing a waiver of whats expected and some grond rules.Oh and as for that kid that sat out the whole 4th quarter...he's going to be ineligible..so in essence he made his mind up on a couple different fronts.Better days are ahead for us.

Sounds like progress, I found that my teams responded well to disiplined coaching, not crazy like some guys I've seem but a good structure at practice and solid ground rules during game time. Had a 6ft 8th grader that I had to bench once in a while and put a 6th grader in her place, she responded by going nuts on the court blocking shots, great passing and a new attitude. 7-8 points isn't bad, you should chart your score differentials on a spreadsheet, make a nice chart and show them the progression from 10 basket losses to 3 baskets.

How are the drills going?

C

Sounds like progress, I found that my teams responded well to disiplined coaching, not crazy like some guys I've seem but a good structure at practice and solid ground rules during game time. Had a 6ft 8th grader that I had to bench once in a while and put a 6th grader in her place, she responded by going nuts on the court blocking shots, great passing and a new attitude. 7-8 points isn't bad, you should chart your score differentials on a spreadsheet, make a nice chart and show them the progression from 10 basket losses to 3 baskets.

How are the drills going?

C

Good idea about the charts.As for the practices and drills there so so.Still cant get but 7 kids on an optional practice.The 8th graders understand the fundementals and whats at stake and are pretty firery when they dont do it right.Tonight is going to be an electric night.We go back to the school I coached for the past 2 years and it's there 8th grade night.We have game tonight,tomorrow night,Thursday(our 8th grade night) then Saturday starts regionals so in essence 5 more games and our season is done.I already cant wait for next year as I will bring even more drills to the table and even a better understanding what needs to be done to show even more progress.Was even thinking about running a camp.Pizza party at seasons end is in order though so 1 thing at a time.I think with me coming back next year will instill some confidence/stability in the kids because there use to having a different coach every year.I'll let you know what happened.

Well 2 steps forward 3 steps backward tonight.We were literally blown out of the waters.My 7th graders played better than the 8th but both games were pretty much a washout.I cannot get across to these kids proper techniques on passing,taking care of the ball,shooting,anything.There are very few positives too take out of these games.Actually I spoke for about 30 sec's in the locker room of the 8th grade game and walked out and not too come out before they were ready.Im planning on a practice Wednesday and not sure where to start.It was actually frustrating and for the opposing team which I had coached for 2 years run through us like we were standing still.Guess what we dont hustle back and we dont get rebounds and dont take of the ball.Im not sure how much more I can teach them.Because I believe in these kids that much is why it hurts all the more

Well 2 steps forward 3 steps backward tonight.We were literally blown out of the waters. Im planning on a practice Wednesday and not sure where to start.
Bummer. That has to be tough especially playing against a team you used to coach. One practical suggestion for practice (think c already suggested it in other threads): Scrimmage with no dribbling allowed and make sure the defense is in a full court press. Can't tell you how much this improves awareness of getting open and helping out. It also works wonders for quicker passes. We try and make practice harder and more challenging than what the kids will face in the real game with our drills.

Easy for me to sit on here and make suggestions, but I'm not dealing with your specific circumstances. Honestly, I've been fortunate to coach the same core group of kids for many years now, so the motivational issues aren't usually there. Every once in a while I run into a few new kids who have attitudes or seem like they really don't want to be there. Makes it tough to coach.

Wouldn't be too hard on yourself, you didn't choose the kids on your team and it sounds like you're doing the best you can with what you have. I liked your idea of a b-ball camp in the off season. Another idea is having a few informal get togethers over the summer. Find a park with some hoops, bring some pop and shoot some hoops. Parents vs. kids, kids vs. kids, sisters, brothers, etc.

It was actually frustrating and for the opposing team which I had coached for 2 years run through us like we were standing still.
Sounds like you just have to stick with the current team for 2 years. ;)

Hang in there!

CRob

I'm curious if your team is simply not talented or that they lack passion and enthusiasm. I could live with a team that lacked talent, but a team that didn't give me their all would drive me nuts. I'm a big motivator and believe in emotion and the mental edge so I'm always trying to get that out of my teams. I'd come up with every motivational ploy and trick in the book until you got these kids to give you their full effort. If you lose because of lack of talent and not effort then there is nothing more you can do except practice. In that case figure out what you do best and try to exploit it.

Stick with it, they will buy into it soon enough! One thing to watch is your courtside body language, my kids pick up on it quick. From my experience with troops if their motivation comes from fearing the leader, they are quicker to shut down and crawl into a shell, however if their motivation comes from mutual respect, they are more likely to fight their way out of a slump and suprise you.

I've seen all sorts of coaches screamers, pouters but the ones I find the most challenginging to play against are those that keep a level head, have motivated athletes and think three plays ahead of me.

C

Stick with it, they will buy into it soon enough! One thing to watch is your courtside body language, my kids pick up on it quick. From my experience with troops if their motivation comes from fearing the leader, they are quicker to shut down and crawl into a shell, however if their motivation comes from mutual respect, they are more likely to fight their way out of a slump and suprise you.

I've seen all sorts of coaches screamers, pouters but the ones I find the most challenginging to play against are those that keep a level head, have motivated athletes and think three plays ahead of me.

C

Well last night was the 8th grade night and we fell to 0-12.Been a long season too say the least.We continue to turn the ball over and that has been the story all year long.Both my groups did this and it was a lil disheartning to watch especially our last home game.Now realize we were only down 25-5 at the half to a 7-3a school.We are a small school 7-1a school.The kids actually played the game but come the 2nd half were lost.We lack the skill and intensity after we get down.I even brought up some size from the 7th grade to help out the lonely 6-8th graders I have that must feel like there playing on an island sometimes.I believe the final score was like 57-7.We scored a whole 2 points in the 2nd half.We dont pass the ball well,we dont take of it when dribbling 1 on 1,we dont keep our head up when dribbling,we dont even try to rebound.I remember telling a kid last night on my 7th grade squad that he wasnt going to play for me if he wouldnt at least try to rebound.Kinda harsh yes but when the opponent started dribbling towards the middle his 1st step was backwards like he doesnt want contact.I dont want scared,intimidated players.I want gung-ho,good spirited kids that leave everything on the court.They'll always say coach ya ready to win?Im like yeah always.Do I yell yes,words of encouragement,when they do good or/and when there giving it there all then Im like dont give up,not now.Do I scream rant/rave ?No.I think with the 7th garders I can still reach them and theyt are a pretty good group but from 1-10on the talent level maybe a 5.Before games/practices I always say game shots,nope gotta jack them 3 pointers up.So much to work on for next year.Will need to get the message out and be prompt and stern with what were hoping to accomplish.My fiancee who helps me where she can saw one of our players getting leaving with someone she'd never seen and yelled out to him ..Hey Tyler see ya at practice tomorrow and that lady we assume was his mom was like why bother.I told my better half I wish I wouldve been out there to hear that.How do you expect the kids to act when there parents are of that nature.My fiancee made the point though that the school acts as a babysitter where the kid just stays after school practices while she does whatever etc.See where Im goin with this?Anyway we have regionals tomorrow for the 7th graders and we lost to this team like 42-15 just a couple nights earlier.All we need to do is get the ball to our big kid and recognize that but were so predictable.Time will tell,wish us luck.Will let ya'll know.

Good Luck, You are doing more than coaching a TEAM, you are the adult they all look upto, the adult who brings structure to their lives for a few hours a week, the adult who demands that they stay with it and gives their best. Hold your head up, I've never met you but have a sense of honor and community everytime I read your posts. Sounds like morale is down, they expect to get whooped, but they show up to each game willing to play for you!

Next season you might have a head start focus on passing, spend as long as it takes to get them to your standards them move to dribbling same deal!

c

Good Luck, You are doing more than coaching a TEAM, you are the adult they all look upto, the adult who brings structure to their lives for a few hours a week, the adult who demands that they stay with it and gives their best. Hold your head up, I've never met you but have a sense of honor and community everytime I read your posts. Sounds like morale is down, they expect to get whooped, but they show up to each game willing to play for you!

Next season you might have a head start focus on passing, spend as long as it takes to get them to your standards them move to dribbling same deal!

c

Well the 7th Grade regional is over but too me it was like a win.This same team which has about 14 kids against our 8 beat us just 4 nights ago at there place 45-15.Now for the good part....we held'em to a 11-2 score at the half and very much still in it.We ended up just falling short 28-16 and I asked everyone of our players after the game how many with a show of hands can tell me they gave there absolute best.I already knew what the tally would be as it showed on the court.I am so happy for those boys and cant wait to get them into camp during the summer.Maybe for the 1st time they were having fun and it was good too see.The coach is proud to be associated with this group of kids who at this pace have a very bright future if this kinda work ethic continues.I believe we won alot of loose battles today and thats where it starts if your too have any chance.Our 8th grade regional game is against the host school and should be very exciting.Alot of people didnt realize I coached where I did.It's a school 30 miles down the road and my intention is too get'em back on track and back on the map if you will.Continued support(parents.cheerleaders)keep doing there part and the kids buy into the system I like our chances.As long as Im coach there though they'll never quit again.Stay tuned!!

Well the 7th Grade regional is over but too me it was like a win.This same team which has about 14 kids against our 8 beat us just 4 nights ago at there place 45-15.Now for the good part....we held'em to a 11-2 score at the half and very much still in it.We ended up just falling short 28-16 and I asked everyone of our players after the game how many with a show of hands can tell me they gave there absolute best.I already knew what the tally would be as it showed on the court.I am so happy for those boys and cant wait to get them into camp during the summer.
Good for you! Congrats on getting them to leave everything out there on the court, that in itself is a huge accomplishment from what we've been reading.

CRob

Definetly sounds like you guys are moving forward! Good Job!

Granted it's only 7/8th graders and reruiting is not involved but I still find myself thinking about the next season so Im preparing to buy this and learn from it and maybe use it for my 1st basketball camp.What do you think?

http://www.bballsecrets.com/hubie/bootcamp.html

It sounds like your team is lacking effort and enthusiasm. I don't know if I'm an expert but I pride myself in extracting those things out of my various players. I can tell you what I do and maybe some of the things will work for you. First and foremost, tell your players straight up what you expect from them. Tell them you expect them to play as hard as possible every time they are out there, in games, practices, drills, etc. Nothing else will be accepted. Tell them it's OK to make mistakes, you expect that. Mistakes are allowed, but not trying your hardest is not. You have to instill this in practice, everything you do should be at 100%. Let's say you have the kids run a drill. If your top players does it well but not as hard as he can, call him out. "Joe, that is not your best, do it again." Make him do it again until you see him going 100%. Same thing if you untalented player goes 100% but is simply uncoordinated. Praise him for his effort and tell him it's OK, we'll work on his skills. You have to make this part of your core in practices and in games. Repeat the mantra over and over. Praise the effort whenever you see it. Call out when they do not go all out. I'm not a yeller so I wouldn't yell. But I do use a firm voice and tell the kid to get after it. I'm more of a clapping hands on the sidelines, pumping the kids up kind of coach. I attempt to be high energy and rah, rah, to get the team flowing.

Gotta chuckle I've always coached girls, first year with the new team I made the mistake of singling one out for doing some minor thing incorrectly, tears, her Mom who is a friend said she wants to quit because she 'sucks. A couple seasons later I'm coaching the school fastpitch team with a dad who has only coached boys, he starts yelling at the girls as I chuckle knowing what is about to happen. After about 5 minutes the girls just tuned him out, he looks at me for help...I explain the difference between coaching boys and girls, he looks at me and says that's where my wife gets it from ;)

Lol!

I was practicing with my 6 year old daughter last week. I was using the same techniques as I would with my 10 year old son. She stopped me and lectured me on how to coach her. She was quite upset but I'm glad she told me what to do. Now we have a better working relationship.

Nice, getting chastised by the yr old. I usually work out a deal with the other coach I correct his daughter and he corrects mine, saves alot of drama.

It was just the two of us in the front yard, shooting hoops. I had her working on dribbling and shooting. But I agree, it's better to have someone else coach your kid and vice versa.