Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
CoachCurt

Coachcurt's Playbook

Have not had a whole lot of feedback from posting my playbook on the "Scoring Philosophy" thread.

Keep in mind that my kids are a bit older than the kids that most of you coach.

These guys can really get down field in a hurry.

The Championship game last season was really spectacular.

Lost by a point becuase we were unable to convert from the 1ft line.

Wow! What a game.

Could'nt get the kids emotions under control, we will fix that this season.

Teenagers. Need I say more.

Coachcurt

What is the age for your kids? It looks like an excellent way to get kids who can handle it more in depth. You play names are very simple and it gets kids a simple intro to the way plays are called.

Harry

I've used this play calling system for several years now.

I began tinkering with it when I was coaching 9-11 year olds years back.

Of coarse we had a smaller playbook with fewer formations but it laid the ground work for what we are doing today.

This will be my 2nd year coaching the 15-17 year old age bracket.

I've ditched a few plays and added several more since last season.

I'm sure I'm just like most of you and I'm never quite satisfied with the previous season.

Always trying polish what we did the year before.

I'm still toying with the idea of add 2 or 3 more plays from a different formation before we start in a few weeks.

The system is extremely easy for them to pick up.

It really doesn’t take the kids long to get into the grove and be in command of the game.

They take over 95% of the play calling almost immediately and the coaches can concentrate on how the defense is lining up and how they react to each play.

This allows us adapt quicker and continue to pressure the defense.

Not sure if you've read the "Scoring Philosophy" thread but it covers the basis of how and when we call our plays to attack the defense.

I attend a lot of seminars and clinics every year and collect all sorts of information in the hopes of improving my ability to coach.

Prior to last season I revisited a clinic I attended several years back.

Brian Rock then the Offensive Coordinator with the Western Michigan Broncos spoke about "Efficiency in the Scoring Zone".

We applied his principles to the 5 on 5 flag game and found it to be very effective.

We were a very dangerous team and with a complete season under our belt we hope to be even better this go round..

Coachcurt

What kinds of clinics do you go to? What do you focus on? WHat level are they? How much is actually useful in this age range 6-12?

HarryC

Coachcurt

What kinds of clinics do you go to? What do you focus on? WHat level are they? How much is actually useful in this age range 6-12?

Whatever I can fit into my schedule: Glazier Clinics, USA Football, NFL Coaching Academy or anything I can attend that will put me in contact with other coaches. I have been really lucky to make some great contacts at all levels of coaching and with that have been able to attend functions that are not always open to the youth coach.

Being able to sit down and talk football with a wide variety of coaches is always beneficial. You can always learn something from the experience. You might not be able to apply everything you learn, but it's always good to have options. Even at the NFL level I've been able come away with useful information. Obviously there is no way to duplicate what they do at the youth level, but their processes can be simplified to fit even the youngest of teams.

Organization and planning are key to a successful team and those are the things that I try to improve on. You may have the greatest scheme and playbook in the world, but if you do not have a solid plan in place to execute your scheme you have no chance. I like to coach situations in practice. I want my players to know where they are on the field at all times ie: down & distance, time remaining ect. If you can create most scenarios in practice and work on them regularly you remove chaos from the game.

When I began my quest years ago as a brand new coach my focus at that time was schemes. I believed at the time that all we needed to do was teach our team to execute these great plays and we would bum rush the rest of the league.

Not!

Young players lack experience and thus tend to lack confidence in their ability to have success in tough situations (not true for all but true for the larger potion of your team). By breaking the game down and simplifying schemes and teaching and practicing situations you build experience. You slow the games down for your players allowing them recognize things they have seen in practice.

Many of us are looking for ways to motivate young players. What I have found is that a young player does not really lack motivation. They lack experience and are reluctant for the fear of failure. Kids need realize it’s OK to fail and through failure they will experience success and build confidence.

Here we go!

All in all we had a successful season this year.

We were very young at the 12-14 age bracket. I had some talent and a little bit of speed and once the kids began to believe in the system the offense began to put up some points. We were involved in a whole lot of close shoot outs.

With everyone returning next season we should be very strong offensively and that should allow us more practice time to spend on defense.

Anyway as promised I'm reposting my playbook. I've done a bit of spit shinning to combat the rush and make the plays more productive in my offensive philosophy.

I've also barrowed the Center sweep from CoachRob. I was really impressed with the video.

Flag_Playbook_Ultimate_Offense.ppt

Here we go!

All in all we had a successful season this year.

We were very young at the 12-14 age bracket. I had some talent and a little bit of speed and once the kids began to believe in the system the offense began to put up some points. We were involved in a whole lot of close shoot outs.

With everyone returning next season we should be very strong offensively and that should allow us more practice time to spend on defense.

Anyway as promised I'm reposting my playbook. I've done a bit of spit shinning to combat the rush and make the plays more productive in my offensive philosophy.

I've also barrowed the Center sweep from CoachRob. I was really impressed with the video.

Looks OUTSTANDING!!!!! Keep up the good work.