Y-coach.com - Forum
saykansc

Batting Cage

I am looking for recommendations on a batting cage for my 7 year old son. I am in the Army and move around every few years, but I want something that I can take apart yet that is sturdy and will not blow away in the next storm. Can I get some recommendations?

I am looking for recommendations on a batting cage for my 7 year old son. I am in the Army and move around every few years, but I want something that I can take apart yet that is sturdy and will not blow away in the next storm. Can I get some recommendations?

Yes there is one Ibelieve it is made in idaho or eastern oregon I dont remember what it is called but it is completley portable. If you google portable batting cage it will come up . about 750 bucks I think

I use the jugs lite flite machine with lite flite balls. Then I use a pop up wilson backstop. The lite flite machine is easy to carry and will run for several hours. The lite flite balls are great for batting practice and using as a safe ball at baseball practices.

I used http://cagesplus.com/

I live in the NorthEast so I take mine down in November and set it up every April. It will take about 1hr to set up using two adults.

The owner recommends using EMT (electrical metal tubing) which is light weight. Use EMT. Initally, I was concerned with using light weight tubing because I thought it wouldn't last, fall when a ball hit it, or tip over in high winds. After six years of use, none of these concerns have ever happened. Truth be told, using a heavier metal like galvanized steel makes the cage too heavy to be portable (galvanized steel works great for cages that you cement into the ground).

I also purchased a Bata-2 pitching machine from him. Six years ago, he had the best prices on this machine that I could find. My twins were 10yr olds at the time and I debated whether I wanted a 1 wheel or 2 wheel machine. Choosing the 2 wheel machine was a great decision because, now that they are playing high school ball, legion, and tournament ball, the machine can throw fast balls, off-speed / knuckle balls, and curve balls. What I do is pitch a couple rounds of fastballs for warm-up swings, a special type of pitch that they need to work on like curve, and then back to fast balls to rebuild their confidence at the end.

Several parents thought I was nuts buying a backyard cage and pitching machine when my kids were so young (10 yr olds), but six years later they still hit in the cage 3 to 4 times per week from April to November. As you can guess, they are pretty tough outs at the plate. More importantly, they have developed confidence in themselves, not just in baseball, but in their whole life as they have learned that regular and consistent practice can lead to success.

Best Wishes

Brian

http://baseball.youth-athlete.org

I bought a Jugs pitching machine when my son was 7. Their cages were to expensive so I shopped around.

I do not know the website address but The net and attachments came from the Louisiana Fishnet Co. It is suppossed to be portable because you use small aluminum conduit pipes to build it. I however put some pvc pipe and the ground and left it. It still stands and he is 13 now. My other 7 year old is using it now too :)

There are a bunch of different ones available , Search for the best price on nets(I bought the cheapest density sold and have had few breaks). The attachments should come with it(the connecting posts)Buy your own poles at a local hardware store..they are cheap.

Youth Baseball Bats

http://youth-baseball-bats.youth-baseball-equipment.com/

Coaching Youth Baseball-Free Drills and Youth baseball Tips

http://coaching-youth-baseball.com/

I was at direct sports' website today and they have several batting cages that are around 2 - 3 hundred dollars that look to be somewhat portable. I would think for a 7 year old it would do just fine. I'm looking into them myself.