Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach3

End Of The Season

Well this past Saturday marked the end to a frustrating season but I did as a coach get alot out of it.Our 8th graders went too regionals and after tying the game @ 2 I just thought for a sec ok were ready to go.It was not meant too be as we had 2 guys with 4 fouls in the 1st half and would eventually fall 52-29.As a coach I can take alot but there no reason to be shooting a 3 when you team is up by 20-30 points.Really pissed me off but what comes around goes around.I wont forget.I cant wait for camp too take place and get these kids back on track.Between the new unis we got'em this year and it looks like were going to be able to play some of our games at the High School things are slowly turning around that way to put us on the same level as everyone else.I told my players this past game when you go back to school keep your head held up high and any of those 3 8th graders that were ineligible say anything not too put up with it.This year was a good learning year in the sense of what good guard play can do and I will look to develop that this year as best as possible but knowing what I have may be dificult.Im not glad the season is over but you could tell the players gave it there all and it still wasnt good enough and I know exactly how they feel as Im sure most of you other coaches can relate.We are only allowed from Oct.20th too be able to get into the gym which comes out to 29 days til our 1st game when the seaon starts.Does anyone else have a longer wait between practice/gameday.Seems kinda short too me but then again being our 1st year we've got so much were trying to accomplish and for the most part did ok I feel.Our 2nd year will be like a well oiled machine in terms of productivity and organization.Im so glad I found this board as I've gotta get ready for my camp in June so stay tuned and please keep the helpful comments coming as I will do the same.

Sounds like forward progress, not sure how it works for you but we have an equivalent called a the WNY Invitational, just making it is pretty impressive. First season I coached the girls we made it and were eliminated in the first round, 2d year made it to the quarterfinals, 3d year lost by 1 point in the finals...buzzer beater bounced left instead of right. In all three cases the girls were bummed, there were tears and gnashing of teeth. I talked to them after each elimination and pointed out that only 30 teams out of 70+ even get invited and there are teams that have never been invited so hold your heads up and use the experience to grow!

On the running up of scores, there are a couple schools that like to pile it on, each on of those schools was subjected to some very motivated girls who wanted a little payback, was interesting watching those coaches deal with being on the recieving end.

C

Bobcats,

I agree it may be a slow process for small gains but it's worth it and you will get there. I have read alot of your posts and I know that you have set some pretty good goals for team development and I think that you are definately on the right track.

I am curious what kind of plans you have for personal development during the offseason, i.e. coaching clinics, videos, books, etc.?

Bobcats,

I agree it may be a slow process for small gains but it's worth it and you will get there. I have read alot of your posts and I know that you have set some pretty good goals for team development and I think that you are definately on the right track.

I am curious what kind of plans you have for personal development during the offseason, i.e. coaching clinics, videos, books, etc.?

Well Im not the most organized person so Im trying to surround myself with people who are just that way.I have alot of ideas and right now am in the process of getting this 1st basketball camp setup.Last night I came up with a name..KATZ KAMP seeing as we are the Bobcats.Sound ok?I want too have instructional video,drills,the works but am trying to keep the cost down my 1st year.I plan on having an outline of each days events and make it fun so it's not just like another practice.Im of the opinion it should be for both girls/boys but my fiancee would like just the boys as that it what I coach plus it could be tricky working with the girls and someone might take something wrong.Im really excited about as last night I went on Google to get some more ideas and am starting to form a solid strucyure on how to goabout all this.I had saved my goals Id wrote down somewhere but they were like Nutrition,conditioning,drills,mental aspect and a couple other areas I wanted to tackle but most of all be fun.My goal is too get 20 kids as a 1st year I think that would be a winner.I live 30 miles from the school so alot of people find it hard to believe Id make that trip so often but like your signature when you believe in something so strong and making a difference in a childs life wow you oughtta see the look on Coachs face.I'll be going to talk to the place thats outfitted our team with Uni's and see if they'd be interested in outfitting our camp with some practice jerseys/t-shirts,etc and then an actual I made it through KATZKAMP year 1 t-shirt at the end of camp commerating there achievement.So how far off am I and do you have any other ideas that may useful?Thanks

I think you are definately on track. The priority has to be organization for every hour of every day of camp. Obviously because you want it to grow but also because you want the kids to get the most out of it that they can. Through the years my kids went to some great camps and then to some camps that were really nothing more than a week of summer daycare even though they were put on by a local university and advertised as basketball camps.

The other factor to take into consideration to think about besides boys/girls is age groups you want to attend and who many kids you will have per coach.