Y-coach.com - Forum
derekd

Full Speed Layups

Hey all,

I'm trying to help my guys (10-11) make layups when running at full speed like on a break. They're going so fast that they seem to keep going rather than up. I see older players almost slowing down as they seemingly jump through their steps to the rim. Can anyone explain what's going on here and how to teach this the right way? Thanks.

Hey all,

I'm trying to help my guys (10-11) make layups when running at full speed like on a break. They're going so fast that they seem to keep going rather than up. I see older players almost slowing down as they seemingly jump through their steps to the rim. Can anyone explain what's going on here and how to teach this the right way? Thanks.

I think personally Id go back to square 1 with the fundamentals of that drill and show them which foot to jump off,which hand to be dribbling with and where they need to jump from.Usually around low block thats on the floor.Instill confidence in them when they do it right but be patient when they dont as everyone needs to be on the same page.Good Luck!!

Thanks for the reply. I will give that a shot.

Another way to describe what I see some HS level players do is they seem to slow themselves to go up for the shot by almost appearing to be stomping through mud through their 2 steps to be able to go up. It's difficult for me to describe I guess. For example, my player will sprint down the court for the layup. When he starts to go up, he seems to be moving too fast towards the rim rather than going up to it. What will happen is that he'll almost fly under the backboard. It could be because he's starting too late but usually it appears to be okay to me.

Had that same problem with a few of my kids (9-10 y/o) so we slowed it down and made sure they clearly understood what the end of a lay-up looked like. This drill helped a lot with that, especially if you emphasize what they suggest in the video. Gets a bit boring for the kids, you can challenge them to see how many they can make.

We also do these drills in practice. Gets the reps in, but you're not coming from a fast break perspective.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YcDlkZkPb6g

Nothing beats repetition on lay-ups. Our practice gym has 6 baskets, so every practice we make the kids go around the gym making layups for at least 5-10 min. Looking for good form. I think the key is to slow down that shot and increase their confidence by practicing over and over. If they start to make lay-ups at a slower speed with good form you're cooking.

Hope this helps!

CRob

Here's a good one if you want to break it down a ways. Have them start close to the basket , About where they would be when they stopped dribbling to go up for the shot, Now without dribbling have them go for the lay up real fast pretty soon they will be alot faster and more accurate. When they master this have them move back just a little. Maybe where they have to dribble once or twice, Then just keep moving them back little by little pretty soon they will be at half court and looking good.