Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Tide_Fan

Late For Practice

This is my first post to the forum. I’ve read just about everything here and it has been a tremendous help. Thanks!

I was an assistant coach for my son’s I9 league in the fall (6-7 year olds), and volunteered as a head coach for the upcoming spring league. We only get to practice once a week, an hour prior to the game. Last fall, we had a couple of kids that were consistently late to practice. One kid would often show-up with only a few minutes left in practice. He, of course, was totally lost when it came game time.

I know this is primarily a parent issue, but I was planning on implementing a rule in the upcoming season that I would announce to the parents and kids during our pre-season meeting. Unless your parent lets me know ahead of time that you will be late:

- If your more than 5 minutes late for practice, you owe the team a lap.

- If your 30 minutes or more late, you’re on the sidelines for the first half.

- If you completely miss practice, you’re on the sidelines for the entire game.

Sound too harsh for 6-7 year olds? Do you guys have a better approach?

This is my first post to the forum. I’ve read just about everything here and it has been a tremendous help. Thanks!

I was an assistant coach for my son’s I9 league in the fall (6-7 year olds), and volunteered as a head coach for the upcoming spring league. We only get to practice once a week, an hour prior to the game. Last fall, we had a couple of kids that were consistently late to practice. One kid would often show-up with only a few minutes left in practice. He, of course, was totally lost when it came game time.

I know this is primarily a parent issue, but I was planning on implementing a rule in the upcoming season that I would announce to the parents and kids during our pre-season meeting. Unless your parent lets me know ahead of time that you will be late:

- If your more than 5 minutes late for practice, you owe the team a lap.

- If your 30 minutes or more late, you’re on the sidelines for the first half.

- If you completely miss practice, you’re on the sidelines for the entire game.

Sound too harsh for 6-7 year olds? Do you guys have a better approach?

That sounds reasonable to me. I would make exceptions to the policy for sickness, real emergencies, etc.

I don't think I'd wait 5 minutes before requiring laps. Late is late. On time is being there waiting for the coach to start practice.

Also, I'm not sure I'd go with sitting the kid for the whole game. Missing a half will bother the parents more than it will the kids. If you sit a kid for the entire game, that would be bad for them. At that age, they probably have no clue they're even late. They just go where their parents take them.

It's almost a certainty that the head coach didn't set the tone early. I'll also assume that the enforcement of his rules wasn't consistent.

Be clear about your rules along with your other philosophies and you probably won't have as many problems.

Make sure you check with the I-9 league director to make sure you can do this. I know most leagues require you to play kids at least half of the game regardless of whether or not they show up for practice. You have to understand it from their perspective, the kids (actually their parents) are paying customers and they don't want them pissed when their kid can't play.

Good luck pulling that off...These parents are paying the league for the kid to play.Things come up for parents as they do for coaches so I wouldn't even worry about it.Its not like these kids are in high school.I'm strict but definitely not this strict.

I'm pretty sure the league's admins wont agree but good luck

First, welcome to the forum!

I think it is indeed important to set expectations up-front, else a lot of parents will get lazy on you. Asking parents to show up an hour before the game so their kid can practice is VERY "parent-friendly", so I would have a zero-tolerance attitude toward them missing or being late.

My first season in football, I showed a lot of latitude concerning practice. We had it three/four times per week and it was very rare to have the entire team make it to practice. The team simply suffered because of this.

Last season, I threw down the gauntlet in our team "kick-off" meeting with the parents. We all agreed to the days/times for practices. I then informed them all that if anyone thinks they cannot make it to ALL the practices, to let me know before the first practice, and I will help them find another team to meet their needs. My thought is that if the parent agrees to the days/times, then there is no reason to tell me later, "Johnny has baseball practices on Tuesday nights." Of course I understand the unplanned event, but wanted to be clear with them all about the importance of practice. The result? I had a full-squad for 99.9% of our practices.

So what to do if you set clear expectations, which are agreed upon, but still ignored? I am unsure if punishing the kid is the right move. It's highly unlikely that it's a 6-7 year old's fault he is late. Our league does have a "no practice no play" rule---however I would never enforce it (and the parents know that----yet still showed up to practices).

My advice is to just set very clear expectations from day one. Be sure to let the parents know WHY practice is important.

Just tell them you expect them all to make it to practice, ON-TIME, and that if they cannot commit to that you will find them another team. Parents will police themselves, and none of them wants to be the ones who have poor attendance. If you find that one of them is consistently late, or misses practice altogether---simply confront the parent. Let them know that you are one of those coaches that puts a lot of work into practice--and cannot afford to have a player who consistently misses. This should take care of itself.

If, by the odd chance there is push-back from the parents during this discussion, "Well, we don't think Billy needs to make it to the practices", then I suggest dismissing the player from your team.

Thanks, everyone. Good input.

I think the problem we had last season is that the head coach didn't really set the expectations at the pre-season meeting with the parents. I think if I drive it home at our pre-season meeting this spring, and then send out a weekly reminder (e.g. Game time is at XX:00, practice begins promptly at XX:00), we'll have less issues. I may just have a "if you're late or miss practice, it will impact your playing time" rule and leave it fairly flexible based on the circumstances.

Although I do agree it is very frustrating as a coach to have the same players always showing up late, the bottom line is that at that age the kid can not drive himself to practice. I do think you need to have a policy in place and stick with it but I personally think that for 6-7 year olds for me it would be a bit extreme to sit them a whole game. You have to be careful not to be a sport killer at that age.

On a side note one thing that I do to try to get kids to practice early is to do fun things before practice begin and that I know the kids enjoy. Some examples would be during football season, we will play a mini-version of the punt, pass and kick contest - who can throw the ball the farthest, who can catch the most passes, who can kick it the farthest, etc. during basketball season we play knock out or we may have a quick scrimmage if enough players are there. During baseball season, I will throw live batting practice with the first players that show up.

I make sure that the kids know we are going to do fun things and to get to practice 15-20 minutes early because once our practice start time rolls around we are going to be all business. This seams to work pretty well for me and I have heard the kids telling their parents things like "mom, we have to be to practice early because coach lets us play PPK". Anyway, just my 2 cents for the day.

Charlie

On a side note one thing that I do to try to get kids to practice early is to do fun things before practice begin and that I know the kids enjoy. Some examples would be during football season, we will play a mini-version of the punt, pass and kick contest - who can throw the ball the farthest, who can catch the most passes, who can kick it the farthest, etc. during basketball season we play knock out or we may have a quick scrimmage if enough players are there. During baseball season, I will throw live batting practice with the first players that show up.

Great idea, Charlie. I hadn't thought of that and it certainly puts more of a positive spin on getting to practice early. I think I'll try that out this season.

Although I do agree it is very frustrating as a coach to have the same players always showing up late, the bottom line is that at that age the kid can not drive himself to practice. I do think you need to have a policy in place and stick with it but I personally think that for 6-7 year olds for me it would be a bit extreme to sit them a whole game. You have to be careful not to be a sport killer at that age.

I make sure that the kids know we are going to do fun things and to get to practice 15-20 minutes early because once our practice start time rolls around we are going to be all business. This seams to work pretty well for me and I have heard the kids telling their parents things like "mom, we have to be to practice early because coach lets us play PPK". Anyway, just my 2 cents for the day.

Charlie

Great answer. I mean, we're talking about kindergartners here. If they have to run laps because their parents worked late, couldn't get supper cleared up, etc., they won't stick with the sport long.

I too do similar to what Charlie mentions in every sport I coach. For football, I might let them play touch rugby; for soccer I just let them play small-sided games (first two players at practice are captains). Once players know that they are missing out on fun stuff, they'll bug the heck out of their parents. I do like the PPK idea - prepractice is bragging rights time it seems.

PF

Welcome to the forums, Tide!

It's already been touched on, but don't think you can minimize a kid's playing time because he was late or missed a practice. I-9 is pretty adamant about equal playing time regardless of missed or late practices. However, I wouldn't be starting the kids who were late or missed practice.

I think Johnp2 mentioned having a parents meeting and setting the guidelines for practices up front; always a good idea. We try and explain how difficult it is to cram everything into a 1 hour practice, running plays, teaching concepts and dealing with different athletic abilities, etc,. Even then, you'll still run into parents who see this as a chance for their 6-7 year old to have some fun running around a field getting exercise, so being late or missing a practice may not be a huge deal.

Doing something fun for the first 5 min of practice is a great idea. Could even hand out small prizes the first time and do it randomly throughout the season for best punts, best throws or whatever games you come up with in that first 5 min.

CRob

Charlie, we do mini "skills" competition too. Fun stuff!

Additionally, once the team has mastered their plays (typically 2/3 through the season), I'll assign a player per week to come up with his own play. He must use an existing formation, designate the responsibilities for all eight positions, and give the play a name. Of course 99% of the time the play goes to that player, but we practice it that week and I'll call it at least once in the game. We've had both success and failure with the plays, but it is always fun. :-)

This distinction goes to our player of the week. If he does not want to create his own play, then he gets to choose who he wants to create the play. Usually after the first week of doing this, all players are salivating to make their own play. Ha! Of course I only start this once they have all of their plays down pact.

Additionally, once the team has mastered their plays (typically 2/3 through the season), I'll assign a player per week to come up with his own play. He must use an existing formation, designate the responsibilities for all eight positions, and give the play a name. Of course 99% of the time the play goes to that player, but we practice it that week and I'll call it at least once in the game. We've had both success and failure with the plays, but it is always fun. :-)

Wow, you must have some sharp kids. How old are they? I'm dealing with 6-7 year olds -- many that have never played or even watched much football. I'm lucky just to get them to line-up in the correct spots. :)

Wow, you must have some sharp kids. How old are they? I'm dealing with 6-7 year olds -- many that have never played or even watched much football. I'm lucky just to get them to line-up in the correct spots. :)

Remember now---we have three practices per week. Most of the kids have played multiple seasons---so that definitely helps.

This started two seasons ago when I was coaching 7-8 year olds. I had a player come up to me at practice and inform me he "thought of a play." He explained it to me as best he could. I thought it was cool, so I tasked him with going home and drawing it up. The next practice he came FLYING out of his mom's car running with the play in his hand (he was so excited). We practiced the play maybe five times that week at practice, and called it in our next game during an extra point, which we made. :-)

Most of the kids will create a variant of an existing play. Every now and then one will come up with something very unorthodox, and I'll re-iterate the rules (legal play, use existing formation, etc.).

Remember now---we have three practices per week. Most of the kids have played multiple seasons---so that definitely helps.

Ah, that makes sense. I envy you. We get 1 hour of practice each week -- right before the game. And new, often first time, players each season. The kids have fun, but it is certainly a cat-herding exercise for us coaches.

Ah, that makes sense. I envy you. We get 1 hour of practice each week -- right before the game. And new, often first time, players each season. The kids have fun, but it is certainly a cat-herding exercise for us coaches.

Yes, this is can be a "hot topic" (how much practice to have). Each coach has his or her philosophy on it. All of the teams in our league practice at least twice a week, some practice more. In fact, even though our season does not start until May 2nd (first game), I am confident there are teams out there having a few practices now, as they know they will be bringing those kids back. I know for a fact one team doing it. These are the "win at all costs" teams, however.

I really don't want to open up a can of worms here---but for me--multiple practices per week are needed. Remember we have between 13-16 kids on the team (we play 8 on 8), and I am the first to admit that I don't "keep it simple." I try to run a fairly complex offense. Of course, I know the limits of the kids, and ensure that it is something they can achieve--and I have no problem challenging them to learn complex assignments.

The important aspect in all of this is to ensure the kids are all having a blast at practice. As they get into their teen years, practice will not be so fun (it wasn't for me), so I want to ensure they keep that zeal to learn at this age. I often inquire with the parents how their kids are enjoying practice, and they all tell me their child loves practice. In fact I would say 99% of the time when practice ends, all the players are begging me to keep having practice--which makes me proud (but coach has to eat!). ;-)

I have three per week. I like to say we work hard and play hard. I also have a "bonus" practice during the week. My son likes to practice every night (and at a minimum we'll play catch), so figure why not have his teammates who want to, join him. I usually get a 50% turn-out at the bonus practice. I like these as I can put a lot of focus on individual players and work on the very subtle things I want them to do.

One the plus side, with a league-mandated "one practice per week", it does put everyone on an even field, so to speak.

I have three per week. I like to say we work hard and play hard. I also have a "bonus" practice during the week. My son likes to practice every night (and at a minimum we'll play catch), so figure why not have his teammates who want to, join him. I usually get a 50% turn-out at the bonus practice. I like these as I can put a lot of focus on individual players and work on the very subtle things I want them to do.

I think our league has the "1 practice a week" rule so that it encourages busy parents to let their kids join the league. I do think I'm going to try having one "optional" practice each week. Like you say, if I'm already playing ball with my son every night anyway, might as well see if any of his buddies want to join in for some fun.

Our biggest challenge is the weather. Here in Seattle, rain is a way of life. But it's hard for the kids to enjoy themselves when its 40 degrees and raining. :(

Our biggest challenge is the weather. Here in Seattle, rain is a way of life. But it's hard for the kids to enjoy themselves when its 40 degrees and raining. :(

Funny---we have our "most fun" practices when it rains here. Of course if it rained all the time like where you are, I'm sure it would get old. There were a few times during our last season where the forecast called for snow (or "wintery mix"), and I promised the team if it did we would conduct an ad hoc practice. Unfortunately we didn't get the wintery mix during the season. In the spring/summer---heat is obviously the problem here. The kids all know they are free to get a drink anytime they want, and I force them to take a water break every 20 minutes.

Funny---we have our "most fun" practices when it rains here. Of course if it rained all the time like where you are, I'm sure it would get old. There were a few times during our last season where the forecast called for snow (or "wintery mix"), and I promised the team if it did we would conduct an ad hoc practice. Unfortunately we didn't get the wintery mix during the season. In the spring/summer---heat is obviously the problem here. The kids all know they are free to get a drink anytime they want, and I force them to take a water break every 20 minutes.

I do whats called H20 on the go...We have the kids bring there water with us while they are doing drills that way when they finish a drill they can get something to drink right away and dont have to wait for us to to take a break.It allows us to also maximize practice time without having to take a 5 min break every 15-20 mins...I'm in AZ so I stress water like no other.Obviously its hot as heck here and the kids need as much water as possible.

It's crazy because I can remember practicing two-a-days in the summer (back in the 80's) and our coaches would "punish us" by not letting us get water. Now days I make kids get a drink (even if they don't want to). I've also learned to bring a few extra bottles of water as there is bound to be one or two parents who forget to bring a drink.

Yeah, I grew-up near Palm Springs in California and had many 115 degree days. It's one of the reasons I moved to Seattle after college. Give me the rain and mild temperatures any day. The kids really don't complain about practicing/playing in the rain. I think that it's mainly the parents not wanting to stand around in the cold and wet weather for 2 hours. ;)