Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

How Do You Guys Sub?

I've seen a few mentions on your techniques for substituting players in various threads, but would like to get an idea of what you coaches do (in a single topic).

Mine is pretty basic. I substitute at the end of each quarter. Players play on both offense and defense, and at the end of the quarter we swap out. I make a lineup a few days before the game, and email the lineup to the parents so they know when their child is playing. My only rule on this is that if a player is scheduled to play in the first quarter and he is not there when the game starts---then he is simply out that quarter--even if he is only a minute or two late (and it is not made up). It's way too difficult to juggle a lineup of 13-16 players on the fly during a game (at least it is for me) when trying to get equal playing time. I also have players focus on only one or two positions, and the one downside to that is if a player is scheduled to play and is late or can't make it at the last minute it throws a wrench in the lineup. I've learned to have a few "utility" players that I can plug in anywhere for these instances.

I've seen a lot of coaches sub during a series and some sub after a series (i.e. kids only play offense or defense). Our league is VERY strict on timing and the refs have no trouble calling a delay of game, so I've learned I have to be very efficient with substiutions.

Honestly me and my assistant sub on the fly...However we have another assistant keep track of the amount of plays one kid plays so it ends up being pretty consistant throughout the whole game.I've never in 9 seasons had 1 parent complain about there kids playing time.

Honestly me and my assistant sub on the fly...However we have another assistant keep track of the amount of plays one kid plays so it ends up being pretty consistant throughout the whole game.I've never in 9 seasons had 1 parent complain about there kids playing time.
Same here, sub on the fly. Track ball touches and plays per kid.

I set the lineups right before the game with two squads. Squad one plays offense in the first half and defense on the second half. Squad two plays defense in the first half and offense in the second haf. The offensive or defensive coordinator assigns positions for any given play although we tend to keep players in the same position for a series. Most of our kids end up playing multiple positions. During the games where I have a number of kids other than 10 (either 11 or 9 or less), my sub pattern is more complicated and I do sub on the fly. But I try to limit it and make sure an assistant tracks plays.

I've seen a few mentions on your techniques for substituting players in various threads, but would like to get an idea of what you coaches do (in a single topic).

We play 5v5, roster max size of 10, and each player is supposed to get 1/2 of the game. Last year I had a roster size of 9, which worked out perfectly as I could move players around more freely during the game.

Basically I set the lineup before the game, and then I don't change it a whole lot, unless it's a blowout or there are obvious mismatches (in our disadvantage) that need a player swap/move to fix.

We play 5v5, roster max size of 10, and each player is supposed to get 1/2 of the game. Last year I had a roster size of 9, which worked out perfectly as I could move players around more freely during the game.

Basically I set the lineup before the game, and then I don't change it a whole lot, unless it's a blowout or there are obvious mismatches (in our disadvantage) that need a player swap/move to fix.

We substitute in by series this season since we only had 7 boys on the team and we play 5 on 5. Se we'd just swap 2 out every series the whole game.

This coming season we should have 10 kids, so I expect I'll switch to the 5 play offens 5 play defense approach and switch at halftime like Orange does.

I tried getting fancy this season and writing up exact positions for each kid for each series, but when a kid was late or sick it threw a monkey wrench in that idea.

Swapping on the fly makes life much easier for me.

Now if I can only get 2 good quarterbacks on my team...

I set the lineups right before the game with two squads. Squad one plays offense in the first half and defense on the second half. Squad two plays defense in the first half and offense in the second haf. The offensive or defensive coordinator assigns positions for any given play although we tend to keep players in the same position for a series. Most of our kids end up playing multiple positions. During the games where I have a number of kids other than 10 (either 11 or 9 or less), my sub pattern is more complicated and I do sub on the fly. But I try to limit it and make sure an assistant tracks plays.

That's how we did it last season too. I thought it worked pretty well. This season, I plan to do the same, but I'm going to add a twist. I'll have each position color coded (C=Orange, QB=Yellow, RB=Red, WR1=Blue, WR2=Green). The same for Defense. Each kid will be assigned a color before the game and play that assigned position (offense and defense) for the entire game. That way they can look at the play in the huddle and quickly figure out where to line-up, who's getting the ball, and what routes to run. My goal is to get them out of the huddle and lined-up quickly -- a problem for us last season. The following game, they'll get a new color and chance to play a new position.