Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
rushbuster70

Spring Season

Well I did one of these in the fall and really enjoyed...Its the spring season and I will only have 1 team this season.We are definitely dedicated & will spend more time on this team.Right now we plan on having 2 practices a week.We have 10 kids with 6 returning kids so we expect to have a very strong season and have a ton of fun...1st practice is tomorrow.I'll keep the thread updated on how we do.

Update***

Well we have a roster of 11 and we had 7 kids there.Some kids were on vacation for spring break...We have a pretty talented team.It will be hard with 11 kids & playing team but we will get it figured it out.I've never had that many before so thats new.Overall they had a ton of fun and got along great which is awesome for a first practice.They learned alot and picked it up quickly.Its going to be a fun season...Practice # 2 is tonight...

so far we have had 4 practices...only 1 very lazy one so not too bad.the kids picked up the offense very very well though.i'm proud of them.offensively right now the only thing that can stop us is ourself.we did an excellent job in practice going at it & did awesome offense for our 1st practice.alot to get done still but we will definitely get there.i'm excited to see what we can do with it...1st game is next sat

Update...

We won our first game...It was way to dramatic.We had to score with 30 secs left but we drove right down the field and did.19-14 was the final.We have 12 kids and every other team has like 8...Im wondering why we have so many.Its definitely hard to get a rotation with so many kids.

We have 12 kids and every other team has like 8...Im wondering why we have so many.Its definitely hard to get a rotation with so many kids.
That's a tough one with 12 kids, strange that the league didn't shift some over. Our season started back on 3/21, but we haven't played a game yet and probably won't until 4/18. Had one practice on 3/21, first game cancelled due to snow, more heavy snow expected this weekend and next weekend is Easter. I see a lot of double headers coming our way.

Our season started back on 3/21, but we haven't played a game yet and probably won't until 4/18. Had one practice on 3/21, first game cancelled due to snow, more heavy snow expected this weekend and next weekend is Easter. I see a lot of double headers coming our way.

Ours started last Sunday and we really lucked-up -- snow on Saturday, rain Sunday morning, and sun by game time. The joys of Spring in Seattle. But now we have 3 weeks off for spring break and Easter. I'm planning on holding optional practices each Sunday, but don't expect a big turn-out (6/7 year-olds and 10 kids on the roster). I'm expecting maybe 4-5 kids will show-up.

Any suggestions for fun games/drills with only 4-5 kids? I figure "Sharks-and-Minnows" and the "Gantlet" for flag-pulling practice. Not sure about offense-related games with so few players.

Any suggestions for fun games/drills with only 4-5 kids? I figure "Sharks-and-Minnows" and the "Gantlet" for flag-pulling practice. Not sure about offense-related games with so few players.

I hold a lot of these "bonus" practices too. With only 4-5 kids, I'd suggest focusing on the subtle things with each player. i.e. If a player is struggling at something, this is a prime opportunity to work with him on it. As for fun drills---we usually just have a skills competition. Who can run the fastest, throw the farthest, throw the most accurate, catch the longest pass, etc. I think you are doing a good thing with these optional practices. Sometimes it's actually a good thing if only half the team shows up. If everyone shows up, then just conduct a normal practice.

Rushbuster---that is too bad they gave you that many kids. I had this problem once---they started me out with something like 16 kids then tried to add a 17th. I told them "no way." Only half had requested me, and I worked with the league to balance it out so everyone had equal number of players. Of course it is probably too late if you've already started playing games. Good luck regardless. I'm sure you'll get creative and work them all in.

So...We won 13-0.Every kid played both ways...It was a good win.Our defense was amazing.We shut down everything the other team tried to do.They only made it past mid field 2x the whole game and they were won of the top teams in the league.It definitely was an awesome defense effort on our end.I'm proud of the way all the kids played.The kids had fun and we had were so pumped after the game.it was amazing.i really cant even say how much I really just love this team.Its been amazing so far this season.

Ignore my previous post. Apologies as I read where you said it was your only team. Are you liking it better having just one team?

correct sir...my only team...possibly my last team till my son gets older.i've done 10 seasons of 5 on 5 for 11-14 year olds.i've had 1-8 seasons and also 10-0 season.so i've pretty much done it all from the win standpoint...we are definitely stressing more fun than anything on this team.as long as the kids are having fun and getting the ball thats what matters.we are 2-0 but i'm not concerned about win/loss record.i'm enjoying the 1 team thing.we are having 2 practices is a week and its turned out awesome.we are going into our 3rd game and we had 6 practices before the season even started.definitely a lot more dedication this season and offensively we have been very creative and defensively every kid understands our zone...its been tons of fun so far.

3rd Game-

We lost 19 - 8...Our kids kept fighting.The field was muddy.It rained friday night and saturday morning.We played a good 2nd half but came out sloppy in the first.We were missing 2 of our best kids.Overall we played a very good very very good team.I hate to say it but I know if we had the kids we were missing we would have done better but I dont like to make excuses.We just couldnt get it going though...Overall we will fix it.Just a tough game.

4th Game...

We won 13-0...Our defense was amazing.3 interceptions, and the team only made it past midfield 1 time on a lucky catch.Overall we had an awesome game plan and did a great job with it.I'm proud of how they played.They definitely came back ready to play after what happen last week.We did an awesome job flag pulling and everyone was swarming to the ball very quickly.

I'll cheat and piggy back off Rush here (not trying to hijack your thread - just didn't want to start a new one). Had our first game today (10-11 y/o div this yr) after missing 3 due to snowstorms. Finally good to get one under our belt. Ended up winning 32-0; however, I think the other team was pretty new to the flag football world so I'm not getting too excited here. Everyone had at least 2 ball touches, some with 3. Very cool to put a lot of ideas/suggestions mentioned on these boards into the game - things sure go a lot smoother out there these days.

CRob

Rob feel free to post them up here too :)

Update on mine this week...

We won 38-0.I felt kind of bad about it though.Every kid had multiple touches and both QB's threw for 3 TD's each...It was a good win for our team.We did a great job on defense and offense.Just like Rob the team was pretty new but the team did a good job.I've never seen some of my kids ever has happy as I saw Saturday and i've had a few of them for quite a while...

We are 4-1 on the season now

Update on todays game...

Final score was 33-0.We had the game won at half time at 27-0.We only scored one time in the 2nd half.We were playing a pretty well coached and athletic team and boy did we come out amazing.First play of the game was a touchdown for us.I'm glad our team played there butts off.The 2nd half was awesome.We got a lot of stuff done with a couple kids who dont catch very well.But everyone had 4-5 touches each today.It was an all around team effort.I'm proud of our effort on defense.We only gave up 1 first down all game long.The past 3 games we have given up only 4 first downs.We had 5 INT on defense.It was a great game defensively for us.

We're 4-0. Had a double header today, won 38-7 and 64-0. I know, I know. It looks like we ran up the score, but we honestly didn't. In both games, interceptions for TDs played a big part in the first half of each game. In our league, they have a mercy rule when a team is up by 24 pts. The other team starts from 5 yards short of midfield instead of their own 5 yard line. They also can add an additional person on offense, so you're playing 5 vs. 6.

In both games, we told the kids no interceptions, just knock down passes in the 2nd half and I played all kinds of different kids at QB. Spread the ball touches big time. It was a pretty crazy day. Felt bad for the 2nd team we played, but aside from telling the kids not to intercept and playing kids who normally don't play QB - I didn't know what else to do.

These forums have been an amazing resource as have the personal relationships I've developed with Orange & Rush. Applying the suggestions season after season has definitely improved our team.

EDIT: After I read through all that, it probably sounded a bit arrogant, but I assure you, we never cram it down an opponent's throat if we're up in a game. I will post a new topic in the forums regarding blowout situations and how to handle them.

We won our last game 24-18....This league doesnt have playoffs.We finished 7-1.Surprisingly this team had only won 1 game but they did a very good job against us.They hit the middle on a 2-1-2 blitz and when we went 2-3 they tried to throw deep.They had one kid who was freakishly amazing.Lol it was funny cause after the game he came over to us and asked if he could play on our team in the fall lol...So that was a good feeling but man it was a tough game.They had about 5 secs left to and we stopped them short of the goal line.

Good luck to the rest of everyone on there spring season.

Nice season rush, congrats! Have a double-header tomorrow to end our reg season. Play the other undefeated team in our league, should be fun.

Won both of our games today, 34-6 against the other undefeated team and 52-12 in the second game. Second game was funky, won't go into the details, but let's just say I would've been content with 30-12 if some things hadn't happened. Long story. Ended the season 6-0.

We spread the touches, worked in the Boise State play which resulted in two scores today. Our defense was ridiculous this season only giving up 24 points - the credit goes to my D coach who's been with me for the past 5 years. Had at least 2 ball touches per player each game, 6 players scored multiple times, 2 players scored once and 1 player didn't score at all despite all our efforts today to get him a score. Tourney in two weeks.

CRob

Tourney in two weeks.
We won the championship for our division, ended up undefeated this season. I think it will be a lot more competitive in the fall. Might throw up a few more vids of our season.

CRob