Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Breaking Off Routes

My playbook is pretty much west coast, so I put a lot of emphasis in route running. I was SO proud of my returning players this past season who executed their routes perfectly for me the first day of practice. All the new players were duly impressed and wanted to perform proper football routes---so they studied hard and caught up quickly. Seeing a team of 13 kids all run their routes in practice perfectly synchronized is a beautiful thing. :-)

I've had different approaches to how I've asked my players to conduct themselves after they run their route. First and foremost, they must look to block. Second-level blocking is the what I love to see in a game. I'm also balancing that with teaching to simply "get open" if they see the QB is still trying to throw the football. My main concern of course, is ensuring that they don't jump the gun on any of these responsibilities prior to finishing their routes. I don't want them just standing around after their routes---I want them to make a cognizant decision on what they are doing.

I'm curious as to what you coaches teach your receivers to do once they have completed their route.I'm always looking for good tips.

Thanks!

Our league doesn't allow blocking, also the QB has 7 seconds to get rid of the ball so the plays happen quickly. We also get called if a player is running downfield with the ball and his teammate is running beside him (a form of flag guarding). Main thing we teach our receivers (especially on the dummy routes) is bring your guy with you and make him think you're the primary target.

Our league doesn't allow blocking, also the QB has 7 seconds to get rid of the ball so the plays happen quickly. We also get called if a player is running downfield with the ball and his teammate is running beside him (a form of flag guarding). Main thing we teach our receivers (especially on the dummy routes) is bring your guy with you and make him think you're the primary target.

Coach Rob -- Our league is the same. Do you have any specific drills you run during practice to emphasize guys running their dummy routes?

Our league is the same as Rob's. I have been teaching the kids to run their routes and look for the football (or at the QB) as soon as they make the turn on their routes, or after a certain number of steps if it is a go route. After they run their route (which usually takes 3-4 seconds), if the QB still has the football I tell them to either 1)come back toward the QB if you are running an underneath route or 2) streak across the field (sideline to sideline ) if you are a deep reciever.

After the ball has been caught, all recievers are to stop in their places and stay still until the ref calls the play dead.

I tell the kids there are no dummy routes, because even though we have a primary and secondary reciever on all of our pass plays, anyone can catch the ball at anytime depending on who is covered.

Honestly I dont do this at all.I play with the same rules.Since I referee I know how to get out of this lol...I always make sure I talk to the referee and let them know that all my players run routes and the ball goes to anyone who is open so they still may run even after the ball is caught.

However i do tell me kids not to get close to the guy who has the ball.

Coach Rob -- Our league is the same. Do you have any specific drills you run during practice to emphasize guys running their dummy routes?
No real drills, we have a coach watching from the defensive side of the ball to make sure their route was convincing. Having the QB throw it to one of the "dummy routes" randomly helps keep those receivers alert and emphasizes the QB could choose anyone that is open. We use dummy routes for misdirection which allows my QB to look off defenders, it works well. I'm trying to incorporate a few more "pass to the open receiver" plays this year though.

CRob

For you coaches in leagues that disallow blocking, does your leage allow picks (similar to basketball)?

An official (who was new and incorrect) once told we were not allowed to block. I respectfully told him I it turns it into eight against one. I did not understand how the offense was expected to move the ball if the player who gets the ball is left alone to defend himself against eight defenders. He thought about it, and we agreed we would not impose our blocking and he had the idea for us to "get in the way" by placing picks. On running plays, I had the kids run their dummy routes right into the defenders and then stand still.

All of the players need something to do on EVERY play, in my opinion.

Coach Rob, I agree with the "pass to the open receiver" plays. This season our QB (my son) is going to learn how to bail out quickly when his primary receiver is not open. I want him to use more of his pure instincts as his x's and o's are down pact. He will be on his own much this season to "pass to the open receiver". :-)

For you coaches in leagues that disallow blocking, does your league allow picks (similar to basketball)?

Coach Rob, I agree with the "pass to the open receiver" plays. This season our QB (my son) is going to learn how to bail out quickly when his primary receiver is not open. I want him to use more of his pure instincts as his x's and o's are down pact. He will be on his own much this season to "pass to the open receiver". :-)

No we are not suppose to do picks like basketball...However you can run plenty of plays that are picks and as long as the WR are running actual routes you'll get away from with it...

Also I'm glad your letting your son do that.Its excellent for his development as a QB.I have a QB who is just amazing good.He is better when I let him read the field instead of looking for someone specifically because he feels like he is forcing the pass and doesnt want too.Today he threw 3 TD's...When I made him pass it to certain WR he threw an interception lol...

Good luck with your son.I hope it goes well this season.