Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Johnp2

Throwing A "good Pass"

During the "off season" my son (8) and I have played a LOT of pass and catch. Every night we throw for about an hour or so, talk about our day, and simply hang out.

One of the things I am working with him on his throwing a "good pass." He's already a good thrower , but not a "great thrower". His biggest disadvantage is his arm strength. It's probably a little above average for his age, but he doesn't have a cannon---yet---so he makes up for that by using sound techniques when throwing.

His number one rule is to throw a good spiral. This is something I've been working with him on since he first started throwing, and he can pretty much throw a tight spiral whenever he wants. I'm not sure if others have struggled with teaching this, but what worked for him was to simply teach him how to "spin" it off his fingers. He picked it up immediately, but I want him to always be cognizant of the importance of a good spiral.

The next thing we have been working on is the flight of the ball. I'm trying to teach him to put less air under it and throw more "bullet" passes. He likes to throw "bombs" (who doesn't, I guess), but I've been showing him how to get the ball to the receiver faster by keeping it in the air for a shorter period of time. I had him throw it "high", then counted out loud until it got to me, "One, two, thr". Then I had him throw me a "bullet" from the same distance and counted again, "One, tw". I think it really sank in as he was amazed at the time difference in getting the ball to me based on the flight path.

While it's easier for receivers (especially at this age) to catch the ball with a higher flight path, it's also easier for defenders to get in position and snag it. Thus our goal is for him to realize how much lift to put on the ball at appropriate times and to "zip it in" when the time calls for it. Once the season starts, I'm going to coach him less on his throwing motion/decision making. He's been well coached in these areas. Of course if I see any glaring mistakes he is making I will chime in, but he is not going to always have me as his coach, so this season he will be a little more on his own.

Do you guys spend much time with your QBs on proper throwing motions? I watched a game last season where they had a QB who could simply sling it downfield. However, his passes were not even close to being spirals (they looked like kick-offs) and his motion was completely jacked up. It was obvious the kid had unreal arm-strength, but had not been really coached on how to throw a football.

hi my son is 6 and we also throw the ball around everynight. my question is when should we stop using the nerf ball and start using his youth football they use in his league. he can throw both balls really good i'm using this nerf ball more for him to learn how to catch better rhanks

Do you guys spend much time with your QBs on proper throwing motions?
We usually pair up the kids and have a throwing/catching drill or split up the team and have kids trade off throwing passes to receivers running routes. During those drills we will teach and instruct on throwing techniques for all the kids.

My regular QBs all throw pretty well at this point (9 & 11 y/o). Usually it's not a case of some technical adjustment, but more technique tweaks like throwing it quicker, leading the receiver, rolling out or better judgement type stuff. However, I've been thinking about bringing my vid camera to practice, setting it up on a tripod and filming the QBs so they can see themselves and I can stop the tape to show them specifics.

when should we stop using the nerf ball and start using his youth football they use in his league.
If your league is starting soon, I'd get the reg football and use that since he'll have to deal with it in practice and games. If you've got some time, mix in the reg football and gradually get him used it, that's what i did at that age.

Do you guys spend much time with your QBs on proper throwing motions?

Absolutely.I have 2 QB's on my team.One is a better short to medium passer with decent strength but good accuracy.One is a pure QB who can just sling it all over the field.However he keeps his elbow down too much.But he has the strength to just toss it.I've tried to fix it a bit and since his passes look better and better.Both of my QB's I stress mechanics because its going to separate them from other QB's as they get older and they will end up being better QB's.I want them to have mechanics down so that way they go into the next level better than what they came in as.Both my QB's have came to practice early to work on somethings.Its amazing to watch how much better a kid can throw the ball with just a few tweaks to his mechanics.

hi my son is 6 and we also throw the ball around everynight. my question is when should we stop using the nerf ball and start using his youth football they use in his league. he can throw both balls really good i'm using this nerf ball more for him to learn how to catch better rhanks

I would start right away using the reg ball.Its better overall for him and if he can catch that ball then hes good to go.

I echo the other comments. Do you know specifically the size of football? I assume it is a "Pee-wee" football? For my son, moving from a "soft" football to a leather Pee-Wee size was not difficult for throwing purposes, but he struggled at first with catching it (get ready for some jammed fingers). He took his lumps (literally) at first with it, but he eventually adapted.

Are you coaching his team?

Thanks

I echo the other comments. Do you know specifically the size of football? I assume it is a "Pee-wee" football? For my son, moving from a "soft" football to a leather Pee-Wee size was not difficult for throwing purposes, but he struggled at first with catching it (get ready for some jammed fingers). He took his lumps (literally) at first with it, but he eventually adapted.

Are you coaching his team?

Thanks

thanks for the info. yes i am coaching his team but its our first year in pads so i don't know yet how the pads will effect him. we have done the flag football for the past 2 years(with the peewee ball) but in n.j the teams aged from 5 to 10 and now down here in g.a the team aged 6 to 10 so he has always been the youngest(which i think helps him alot) but i can't compare him to players his age yet cause he's also the youngest kid on the block when they play back yard ball so i'm comparing him to 2nd and 3rd graders. he is around 49in tall and 52lbs he can throw the ball with accuracy 15yds leading the wr and stuff but not much further. if there is anything to help him or us out i would love to hear it thanks

Do you guys spend much time with your QBs on proper throwing motions? I watched a game last season where they had a QB who could simply sling it downfield. However, his passes were not even close to being spirals (they looked like kick-offs) and his motion was completely jacked up. It was obvious the kid had unreal arm-strength, but had not been really coached on how to throw a football.

If I only had enough time... We do work on throwing technique and repetition during practice. I have them all throwing at the beginning like Coach Rob. And I try to do all my drills with the qbs throwing. I know some coaches like to run drills with one of the coaches throwing balls but I try to have it almost 100% with the kids throwing. I figure the more reps they can get the better.

But I tell you what, give me a qb who has got "it." That doesn't always mean arm strength or a pretty ball. Some kids just have "it", leadership, being able to think quickly, confidence and all that. I find that a qb with "it" will have more success than a pretty thrower.

If I only had enough time... We do work on throwing technique and repetition during practice. I have them all throwing at the beginning like Coach Rob. And I try to do all my drills with the qbs throwing. I know some coaches like to run drills with one of the coaches throwing balls but I try to have it almost 100% with the kids throwing. I figure the more reps they can get the better.

But I tell you what, give me a qb who has got "it." That doesn't always mean arm strength or a pretty ball. Some kids just have "it", leadership, being able to think quickly, confidence and all that. I find that a qb with "it" will have more success than a pretty thrower.

Orange...I'm kind of the coach who likes to throw to the kids its like a 50% thing...If I want to coach them a little more I will do the throwing and have the QB join in because both my QB's play WR also..

Also I 100% agree with a kid who just has "it."If hes not the QB but has the leadership/confidence and just that will of "it." He is going to be my QB.I will shape him up and make it happen.I've done this with multiple kids in the past and that was some of the best coaching i've ever done.Because so much work in so little time.I really really enjoyed doing that.I cant express enough how much that kid just grew on me all season with his will to just bring "it" to every practice and every game...Those are usually very special kids.

Orange...I'm kind of the coach who likes to throw to the kids its like a 50% thing...If I want to coach them a little more I will do the throwing and have the QB join in because both my QB's play WR also..

Also I 100% agree with a kid who just has "it."If hes not the QB but has the leadership/confidence and just that will of "it." He is going to be my QB.I will shape him up and make it happen.I've done this with multiple kids in the past and that was some of the best coaching i've ever done.Because so much work in so little time.I really really enjoyed doing that.I cant express enough how much that kid just grew on me all season with his will to just bring "it" to every practice and every game...Those are usually very special kids.

It depends on the age of the kids. I coach a flag football team ages 6-8 we are 3-0 and only pass the ball around 30% of the time max. I don't believe in putting one of my better athletes at QB. We throw quick screen, slant and post at this age its very hard to find a QB who can throw and a WR that can catch on a consistence level. It's good to find someone and develop them especially if your going to have them for more than one year but at this level to me not a big deal.

It depends on the age of the kids. I coach a flag football team ages 6-8 we are 3-0 and only pass the ball around 30% of the time max. I don't believe in putting one of my better athletes at QB. We throw quick screen, slant and post at this age its very hard to find a QB who can throw and a WR that can catch on a consistence level. It's good to find someone and develop them especially if your going to have them for more than one year but at this level to me not a big deal.

Coach Phillips I agree with that also...I believe Orange coaches 9-10 and I do 11-14 year olds so more passing is involved.I think we ran the ball 5x last game and threw about 30 times.Our game has much more passing involved.

Coach Phillips I agree with that also...I believe Orange coaches 9-10 and I do 11-14 year olds so more passing is involved.I think we ran the ball 5x last game and threw about 30 times.Our game has much more passing involved.

In that case yes QB is very important. When I watch the 9-10 in my leauge the do not run the ball at all its all pass all the time lol.

i find that throwing bullet passes at young ages results in dropped passes. so i let the kids arc them and i just design plays for kids to get open.

i do change this up based on down and distance. for a short first down or XP, i tell the qb to throw a quick bullet, and remind all the WRs that its coming quick, be ready for a bullet, and to turn around and look for the ball as halfway to the FD marker.