Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach3

Fast Break Points

There's still roughly 5-6 months until our 1st practice but in lieu of our 1st basketball camp I have a few questions. So many times last year we got burned on fast break points. Is it a matter of not hustling,the other team sending a player back and taking there chances? How can my teams start to turn the tables on other teams this year? Pretty much just got my feet wet at this school last year and now know what needs to be done. I also know our practices will have to be harder than games as to better prepare us for this up coming season. The fundamentals are crucial to this team if were to have any chance. Balls skills are my 1st priority as we turned the ball over ALOT!!

There's still roughly 5-6 months until our 1st practice but in lieu of our 1st basketball camp I have a few questions. So many times last year we got burned on fast break points. Is it a matter of not hustling,the other team sending a player back and taking there chances? How can my teams start to turn the tables on other teams this year? Pretty much just got my feet wet at this school last year and now know what needs to be done. I also know our practices will have to be harder than games as to better prepare us for this up coming season. The fundamentals are crucial to this team if were to have any chance. Balls skills are my 1st priority as we turned the ball over ALOT!!

If you don't have video of your games, you should start having that done. I wonder how your team is setup on the offensive end when the defense rebounds the ball. Also, if there are lot of turnovers by your guards, you'll give up a lot of those easy layups.

If you don't have video of your games, you should start having that done. I wonder how your team is setup on the offensive end when the defense rebounds the ball. Also, if there are lot of turnovers by your guards, you'll give up a lot of those easy layups.

We were video taping our games so one step ahead of you on that one. As for the guards yes I can't even begin to tell you how many turnovers they do alone so that is some of the problem yes. I plan to address this problem early and often and make'em understand the importance of taking care of the ball. I don't think I ran them enough in practices last year. Were not a run and gun team but I would like to pick up the pace this year. Seemed like everything we did catered to the other team and that can't happen this year. My fiancee is applying to be my Asst Coach so that will help me do more 1-on-1. Also I like to break my practices up between groups. I do like the 7th graders at this time then the 8th graders come in when the 7th graders are done.

The best offense is a good defense and apparently your opponents are putting that to the test.

Giving up transition baskets is three-fold:

- handing the ball to the other team (turnovers)

- poor offensive balance ("no one rotating back")

- unwillingness or inability to run the floor in defensive tranistion

If you're taking care of the basketball then you really don't have to worry about transition goals. Yes some teams will run off the rim or even off of your made baskets. I never pay to much attention to that nonsense.

If you're not taking care of the basketball then it really doesn't matter if The Flash is your point guard and Wonder Woman is sitting on the baseline...your kids aren't going to stave off a transition assault all game long with hustle and offensive balance.

I have yet to see (in 20+years of coaching) a team speed up AND take better care of the basketball. It's like trying to cut vegetables for your wife for dinner. Slow down and keep your fingers. However, for some coaches, this makes them incredibly uncomfortable because it exposes their stuff and mandates actual teaching. So coaches have to choose. Roll up the sleeves and get in there and deal with it or run around like organized chickens and hope no one notices because they're too busy being entertained.

Now that I've gotten my feet wet in my 1st year at this school I won't be so blindsided and will be looking to change some things. With my 1st ever basketball camp I'm looking for some answers among other things. So far Ive only got 13 signed up but hoping for at least 20. Taking care of the ball will be priority #1. Our defense will be more aggressive as I'm a defensive minded coach to begin with. Will look to utilize different sets with this team but were gonna be strictly a half court team. Just don't have the horses to run up and down the court plus were a smaller school than most but you'll never see me making excuses. Competitive is what I want and discipline is what I'll teach.I need for the kids to buy into the system 1st and during Katz Camp I hope to convince them how important there work ethic will be. Practices will be hard so games don't have to be sums it up real nice. Just heard that during a speech the other day. For some reason I've adopted the saying...IF YOU DON'T LIKE IT DO SOMETHING ABOUT IT!!! I think because the kids were always making excuses and bickering and moaning. Losing will do that so I'm trying to change the thinking and give them a reason to believe. Don't get me wrong I can't stand losing but you have to do your absolute best then I'll have no problem. Were far from that. Our problem in year 1 is over 100 turnovers,poor rebounding,poor free throw shooting to name a few. These will be dealt with this year and even if that's all we deal with. Were allowed roughly 1 month of practices before the season starts so looking forward to it already. At this level they stress man to man defense but I've tried that and of course the lazy man defense of a 2-3. My personal favorite but I think I fell in love with it and didn't adjust like the opposing coach did last year was the 1-3-1. Plus it's a trapping defense and you can't be lazy and with a weak bench doesn't help. Long season ahead but I'm ready for Camp and see what transpires. As for your question about how were set up when the opposing team rebounds and outlets the ball down court beating us back,I'm no sure how to combat this as we give up size but Like I've said early in my posts I'll have 2 6footers this year. I athletic and 1 not coordinated. Work in progress I assure you. We usually do get our games video taped to. Coach D