Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
jqmoney

Flag Football Issue

I have had a problem brewing over the entire season and two people ended up quiting the team because of this. I have an assitant coach who is a parent on one of the kids who has whined about the number of kids i have. I have had 12 kidz all season long and this is how i have always have done it. He eventually got over it. Two of my former players who went to tackle came back to flag football about halfway through the season and one of the Kidz is the best players in the league but my assitant being upset that they came to the team took it out on them and didn't put them in. Every kid derserves to play half the game this has been the issue he has whined about playing time yet his two kidz are in there 75-80% of the time so how do i deal with the playing time. I have 12 players and it's 5 on 5 and it's 1-3rd. thanks

Justin Quarles

If you are the head coach, I would suggest taking control. i.e. Start defining the lineup and substitutions. If you are having problems with your assistant, I would have a candid conversation with him. If he does not like the way YOU are running YOUR team, then tactfully let him know he can step down.

I have been very fortunate to not have issues with parents of my players. Over the years I've had a few parents (early in the season) provide advice that goes against my philosophy, and I tactfully explained why I was doing what I was doing. My thinking is that if a parent (and/or assistant) is of the mindset his way is the right way, he should step up to the plate and become a head coach himself. That is why I became a coach.

I'm still on the fence with respect to assistants. I have two this year, and it's more about letting them be involved as opposed with a need. I coached for years without an assistant, so feel I am capable of doing that. However, the assistants I have are parents I have known many years and consequently we share the same philosophies.

This season (we've had four practices thus far--no game), I have one parent who is on the practice field coaching his child 100% of the time. It's utterly amazing, as the parent is VERY vocal and is pretty much his son's personal coach. It can actually be a distraction times. I know he means well, but it was odd he never even asked at the first practice, "Do you mind if I help?" With that said, I would rather have parents like that than those who don't give a rats (you know what) about keeping their child's commited to the team.

Not easy to juggle playing time and ball touches when you have 12 players, someone is going to get the short end of the stick each game. Couple of suggestions:

1) Have a parent track the # of times each kid plays on offense and defense.

2) Have a parent track ball touches per kid.

Check it out during the game and make changes on the fly. If someone hasn't played D, get them in. If they haven't touched the ball make sure they get some touches.

Review those stats after the game and the kids who didn't get much playing time this game, make sure they get more the next game. Same with ball touches. Lots of tracking, but it should help reduce the complaining.

With regards to the kids who came back halfway through, I'm surprised the league let them in at that late of a date especially if it kicked your team up over 10 players. However, if they paid the league fee and the league allowed it, they deserve equal playing time. I can see the possibility of people getting bent out of shape if two kids were added which means less play time or ball touches for their kids. Your assistant "punishing" the two late arrivals though isn't cool imo.

CRob

This is why i call on the wise coaches lol So if u can give me a number about how many times should a player enter the game and or touch the ball per game we play 15 minute halves

This is why i call on the wise coaches lol So if u can give me a number about how many times should a player enter the game and or touch the ball per game we play 15 minute halves
In my games I don't track the time each person has plaed O and D simply because the time of possession can end quickly due to an interception or quick TD run. I'll sub on the fly for both O and D depending upon what I see. Some coaches have 5 for D and 5 for O. One set plays one half and then they switch.

Ball touches - if you can get every kid two per game you are rockin'. Best thing I can tell you is have someone track the touches and monitor them periodically throughout the game. Fill in the holes when you can.

Split your team into 2 squads. Each squad plays either defense or offense in a half then switches in the second half. That way they will all approximately get 1/2 playing time on each side of the ball.

We sub at each quarter. I keep the players on offense and defense througout the quarter. With respect to "how many times" a player should touch the ball---the goal of course is to make it as equal as possible. However, we all know this is not always possible.

I track ball touches (much like Coach Rob). I don't however, guarantee the parents that players will have equal touches. My goal is to get every player at least ONE ball on offense. Typically each player will get a minimum of three. Once I was unable to get player the ball at all in a game. We did not get many offensive plays in that game, and frankly I messed up and did not realize it until I went home and went over my stat sheet. I sent the parents an apologetic email (they were more the fine with it). He's been on my teams three seasons after that.

I also script my first 12 plays (spreading the ball around). If I have deviate from it, I will--but this gives me a good starting point to ensure everyone is involved early.

I have 12 kids on my team right now...I must say its been a challenge but we have done great with it.I have 4 coaches on my staff and we break the kids up in practice to get plenty of 1 on 1 time...But we haven't had this issue at all.I'm like Rob, I sub my kids in on the fly.I actually dont track touches.I just have it in my head to make sure every kid touches the ball every game.I feel bad when that doesnt happen and trust me I will know it.I dont script my plays at all.I just go with the flow on it.It works best for me and my team doing it that way.My D-Coordinator is awesome at switching kids.We balance it out pretty well.We haven't had 1 parent complain all season.

I'm like Rob, I sub my kids in on the fly.
I like subbing on the fly because usually the time of possession isn't always even. This past Sunday I had a few situations where the 5 kids playing defense intercepted on the first play. Instead of switching them all out, I kept them in for 3-4 downs on offensive to give them more play time. Same thing happened on offense. If my 5 kids on offense happen to score on the first play I keep them in for a few downs on defense. I also sub kids in and out depending upon ball touch needs or if I see a need to fill a gap on O or D.