Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

Swingout Pass

I was thinking about flag football plays and which play I really like the most. I'd have to say that I really liked the swingout pass. Some of you probably already run it or a version of it and I know I've posted this before. But take a second to read it and maybe incorporate it into your offense if you do not. It's very effective against most zones, not as much against man.

Formation: Balanced set, Qb under center, 1 WR split left 1 WR split right, HB in the backfield.

QB takes the snap and looks downfield, even fake pumping towards one of the WRs who run long patterns and/ or towards the middle. The HB runs a wheel route (takes a circular path) towards the sideline. The QB times it so that by the time the rusher reaches him he turns and makes the throw to the HB who should be towards the sideline right at the los.

Why it works: The coverage gets sucked back by the receivers and the QB looking deep. Zones tend to drop back as the play progresses. The QB has an easy throw and the HB has an easy catch and should be wide open. The rusher should be a non-factor because the pass is thrown before it gets there. Once he makes the catch, the HB can motor up the sideline for big yards.

Things to watch for: The QB must look downfield and know that the HB is going to be where he is supposed to. He has to fool the defenders and draw them deep. I tell him when you are ready to throw look for the HB for a split second and find him then make the quick throw.

The HB must get to the right spot and sometimes linger or wait. The play works best when he gets to the los on the sideline when the pass comes. You don't want him to keep running the pattern and then the QB has to throw a pass 10 yards deep, that defeats the purpose. Tell him if he reaches the los to wait for the pass.

As always, if you do this, let me know how it works.

I was thinking about flag football plays and which play I really like the most. I'd have to say that I really liked the swingout pass. Some of you probably already run it or a version of it and I know I've posted this before. But take a second to read it and maybe incorporate it into your offense if you do not. It's very effective against most zones, not as much against man.

Formation: Balanced set, Qb under center, 1 WR split left 1 WR split right, HB in the backfield.

QB takes the snap and looks downfield, even fake pumping towards one of the WRs who run long patterns and/ or towards the middle. The HB runs a wheel route (takes a circular path) towards the sideline. The QB times it so that by the time the rusher reaches him he turns and makes the throw to the HB who should be towards the sideline right at the los.

Why it works: The coverage gets sucked back by the receivers and the QB looking deep. Zones tend to drop back as the play progresses. The QB has an easy throw and the HB has an easy catch and should be wide open. The rusher should be a non-factor because the pass is thrown before it gets there. Once he makes the catch, the HB can motor up the sideline for big yards.

Things to watch for: The QB must look downfield and know that the HB is going to be where he is supposed to. He has to fool the defenders and draw them deep. I tell him when you are ready to throw look for the HB for a split second and find him then make the quick throw.

The HB must get to the right spot and sometimes linger or wait. The play works best when he gets to the los on the sideline when the pass comes. You don't want him to keep running the pattern and then the QB has to throw a pass 10 yards deep, that defeats the purpose. Tell him if he reaches the los to wait for the pass.

As always, if you do this, let me know how it works.

Thanks for sharing and explaining....I wasnt sure what a swing pass was. I will plan to use this at our next games on 5/17.

Thanks

I'll emphasize two key points that I found needed to be stressed.

The QB should not look at the halfback until he's ready to throw it. Then, the QB must look at the halfback. This may seem simple to you and me, but my kids were trying to throw no-look passes when I first incorporated this play. You absolutely DO NOT want a no-look pass. The QB should be able to look downfield then turn and find the halfback for a brief second before making the throw.

The halfback has to reach the spot for the pass but not go beyond the los. I'd rather have the pass thrown a little behind the los then beyond. Have the halfback slow down or even stop if he gets there before the pass is made. If he goes beyond the los, he goes right into coverage and the pass becomes much more difficult. If he's taking to long to get to the spot before the rusher reaches the QB, shorten it up.

We would run a drill with just the QB, rusher and the halfback over and over and over to get the timing right.

Good luck.

Ah... this will be a problem. In our leauge all passes have to be across the LOS. I still think it can work if we sell the deep pass. any other advise?

I know in our league (NFL Flag), all passes have to be beyond the LOS too. I tried the swingout pass a few times in our winter league this year, and I just couldn't make it work past the LOS. The only time it worked was when we threw it once before the kid got to the LOS, and we got a penalty on that play for crossing not passing past the LOS.

Ah... this will be a problem. In our leauge all passes have to be across the LOS. I still think it can work if we sell the deep pass. any other advise?

I know in our league (NFL Flag), all passes have to be beyond the LOS too. I tried the swingout pass a few times in our winter league this year, and I just couldn't make it work past the LOS. The only time it worked was when we threw it once before the kid got to the LOS, and we got a penalty on that play for crossing not passing past the LOS.

We play NFL 5-5 as well and every pass has to go past the LOS..... With that said, this is what I've done with trying the HB swing out. I line up in a balance set, my WR on the right streaks up field in a fast sprint on the snap. This gets the attention of the safety's and sometimes the corner will follow. I have my center immediately take a b-line towards that right corner if that right corner stayed home (he usually does). So the center is running a hard slant, but I make it clear that he runs right at the corner. With doing this, the corner gets his attention on the center. My HB then swings out to the right side and I teach him to slow down or even stop as he goes one little step pass the LOS. I coach my QB to look deep down field to my streaker, maybe pump fake then as the rush is coming look to the right, identify that the HB is open and dump it off to him. This has worked for us, especially if you set it up for a quicker player to catch it. The key is helping your QB identify he is open, because since we play NFL our passes have to go past the LOS, which means if the corner jumps it, it can be 6 the other way in a hurry. You must also stress to your HB to only go NO MORE than one step past the LOS, I've taught him to just stop and turn around.... like a check down pass. This play works.... it has for us (thank you Orange), but in my league kids catch on and we only run this play maybe two times a game! After that, I've noticed the corners jumping on the HB, but of course then you can create plays where a WR is behind that corner and your dumping it over their head, lol!

Key is practicing it to get the timing down! Hope that helps....

We have a swingout pass play. Line up HB off to the left of QB, two WRs way off to the right. Center runs a post pattern off to the left behind their DB. Two WRs on right run flys or posts to the right. Shotgun snap - QB looks right as if to pass to the WR, then turns and fires to the HB. HB has option to pass to center if open or run.