Y-coach.com - Forum
Coaching Youth Fooball - Football Plays
Sign in to follow this  
bballrules

Building Strength

DO ANY OF YOU USE THE "HEAVY BALL" FOR SHOOTING? I HAVE A NINE YEAR OLD DAUGHTER, AND HER SHOOTING RANGE IS ABOUT 5 FEET WITH PROPER FORM. I THOUGHT THE USE OF A WEIGHTED BALL MIGHT INCREASE HER RANGE???? :(

That's a great question!

Many youth sporting coaches and parents face the issue of how to increase the speed and power of there young athletes (either general speed and power or, as in this case, with specific sporting tasks).

Sport science tells us that the speed of a young athlete is optimally improved through the ages of 6 - 11 or 12 via technical aspects of training (i.e. form).

Adjunct means of training speed and power or not typically suitable until (generally speaking) the ages 12+. 'Suitable' in this case does not necessarily mean that loaded power training (i.e. using a weighted ball) would injure a young athlete, just less than optimal from a training perspective.

When working with younger athletes, stay the course of teaching proper technical aspects and efficient movement. It will pay off in the long run!

- Brian Grasso

www.DevelopingAthletics.com