Y-coach.com - Forum
Coach3

Motion Offense

Was wondering how many junior High 7/8th grade coaches teach this and or run this. I feel like I've got a pretty decent low post player and between a motion and maybe a high low setup I could increase our point totals. Granted we'll have to take care of the ball a lot better than last year. Looking to simplify things a bit. I still consider myself a defensive minded coach but was just wondering how this might work and how hard it is to teach with patience and time and some of the finer things to teach with the motion offense.

Was wondering how many junior High 7/8th grade coaches teach this and or run this. I feel like I've got a pretty decent low post player and between a motion and maybe a high low setup I could increase our point totals. Granted we'll have to take care of the ball a lot better than last year. Looking to simplify things a bit. I still consider myself a defensive minded coach but was just wondering how this might work and how hard it is to teach with patience and time and some of the finer things to teach with the motion offense.

Didn't I email you the 1-3-1 spead offense?It is the easiest motion offense I have ever taught Jr high players.my 7th/8th grade girls picked this offense up and ran it very well.I thought you had a previous post about having 2 tall girls that I responded to.If you want me to email you the site let me know

Didn't I email you the 1-3-1 spead offense?It is the easiest motion offense I have ever taught Jr high players.my 7th/8th grade girls picked this offense up and ran it very well.I thought you had a previous post about having 2 tall girls that I responded to.If you want me to email you the site let me know

Yes please send me the link. Thanks!!

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/131Offense.html

We ran the motion 1 and 2...both work very well and keep players spaced and moving and also teaches the players all positions.

Good luck

http://www.coachesclipboard.net/131Offense.html

We ran the motion 1 and 2...both work very well and keep players spaced and moving and also teaches the players all positions.

Good luck

Because it has a a lot of info I purchased the Coaches Clipboard deluxe cd's and have been looking at them ever since. Thanks.

In my view, a true Motion Offense cannot have patterned play. I do realize that coaches like John Calipari (and others) run offensive sets they call "motion" but I cannot, for the life of me, tell you why they call it Motion.

I base this on my studies of the offense run by Pete Newell and Bob Knight - and their subsequent book together on Motion Offense - as well as my running it first as a collegiate assistant then with several high school programs as Head Coach.

THAT offense would be very difficult to teach to the level of player you are referencing. In fact it has been very challenging to teach at the high school AND collegiate levels. It is, in my humble opinion, an offense that requires rolling up sleeves and really teaching the game. Plus it mandates having players learn the system over time and for this reason it does not translate well into the JuCo levels of play.

If the discussion is about the Calipari brand of "motion" then the rules of teaching apply there just as they would to the Flex, Wheel, 1-4, t-game et al. You determine what you can and cannot do with your personnel, map out your teaching plan, and break down the offense to teach it's elements. If those things go very well then your team executes reasonably well (as there's always slippage). If one of those areas lags, then so too does the execution.

In my view, a true Motion Offense cannot have patterned play. I do realize that coaches like John Calipari (and others) run offensive sets they call "motion" but I cannot, for the life of me, tell you why they call it Motion.

I base this on my studies of the offense run by Pete Newell and Bob Knight - and their subsequent book together on Motion Offense - as well as my running it first as a collegiate assistant then with several high school programs as Head Coach.

THAT offense would be very difficult to teach to the level of player you are referencing. In fact it has been very challenging to teach at the high school AND collegiate levels. It is, in my humble opinion, an offense that requires rolling up sleeves and really teaching the game. Plus it mandates having players learn the system over time and for this reason it does not translate well into the JuCo levels of play.

If the discussion is about the Calipari brand of "motion" then the rules of teaching apply there just as they would to the Flex, Wheel, 1-4, t-game et al. You determine what you can and cannot do with your personnel, map out your teaching plan, and break down the offense to teach it's elements. If those things go very well then your team executes reasonably well (as there's always slippage). If one of those areas lags, then so too does the execution.

You make some valid points. I was going to try some variation of Motion to get our guys into some sort of rhythm and along goes discipline as well. We will run a variation of methodical slow it down kind a ball because we need to limit the amount of times the other teams get the ball. We turned the ball over like 200 times which averages out to like almost 15 a game. Simply unacceptable this year as I have a couple 6 footers to incorporate into a high low game as well. They say defense wins games and will be put to the test this year. I told the guys I would be there 3-5 years after they couldn't get a coach to stay but 1 year at a time, and you have to build that trust. Now they need to buy into my system. Practices most definitely will be harder so games won't be and my guys have no idea just how hard. I would love to be able to run and gun but were a small school and on most night's play schools bigger than us. We ahve to out discipline them and out smart them,that's all. Thanks though.

The reason i used that particular 1-3-1 for my Jr high kids is that it keeps them spaced out..not everyone around the ball...it teaches good passing skills..and it keeps everyone moving..at the Jr high level getting them through the 1st phase of it takes alot of practice and reps..and patience but I feel it teaches them good skills.Just my opinion...

You make some valid points. I was going to try some variation of Motion to get our guys into some sort of rhythm and along goes discipline as well. We will run a variation of methodical slow it down kind a ball because we need to limit the amount of times the other teams get the ball. We turned the ball over like 200 times which averages out to like almost 15 a game. Simply unacceptable this year as I have a couple 6 footers to incorporate into a high low game as well. They say defense wins games and will be put to the test this year. I told the guys I would be there 3-5 years after they couldn't get a coach to stay but 1 year at a time, and you have to build that trust. Now they need to buy into my system. Practices most definitely will be harder so games won't be and my guys have no idea just how hard. I would love to be able to run and gun but were a small school and on most night's play schools bigger than us. We ahve to out discipline them and out smart them,that's all. Thanks though.

Are you at the Jr. High level?