Y-coach.com - Forum
PeggyBall

Playing Like A Team

I have coached and assisted several girls basketball teams over the past several years. My daughter plays year round and I have been her head coach for the past 3 years and helped her AAU coach, so I've had some experience with many girls.

I am currently coaching a new team in our local travel league and I have become very frustrated. During tryouts I knew most of the girls and they knew each other. All of the girls have talent and something to add to the team. However, we have lost all of our games - the last two being blowouts. I broke one of my rules and asked my daughter and her friend (who I've coached before) what their perception of the game and team was. Their answer was very enlightening - many of the girls don't like each other and don't want to play together. We all know that to play effective basketball we need to play like a team.

How do I handle this when it is more than just 2 girls not getting along? It seems to me the whole team is in a rift - how do I bring them out of it show them how well they can play together? I have told them all I have faith in them and their ability and working as a team will accomplish many things on the court, but it seems to fall on deaf ears.

Peggyball,

This presents a good opportunity to teach some life lessons. We are all faced with dealing with people that we may not necessarily like but we have to work together for our benefit and the benefit of everyone involved.

I would call a team meeting and let them know that you understand they may not get along off the court and that you can't do anything about that, but while they are on the court they have to work together. Let them know that the ones who make the choice to play together will be the ones who see the benefit of increased playing time.

Good Luck!