Y-coach.com - Forum
Sign in to follow this  
Orange

3 Playbooks

This year when I was designing my plays I decided to create 3 separate playbooks. We typically encounter one of 3 defenses and each one presents a very unique set of strengths and weaknesses. In our league, the 1-1-3 is the most popular, followed by the 2-1-2 and finally man. There are variations of those defenses but for the majority of our games, that's what we faced.

When I began drawing up my basic end around, I noticed that I wanted my players to do different things depending on how the defense was lined up. For example, against the 1-1-3 I want my runner to go wide towards the sideline. The receiver on that side should run a flag to pull the defender out of the way. Against a 2-1-2 I want my runner cutting back inside because that is where the open space is. Against man I want the runner hitting outside but I also want all the receivers going to the other side of the field to clear out. That's when I realized I needed 3 separate playbooks. Same basic plays with different variations. Also, some plays are effective against certain defenses but ineffective against others. So I took the time to create 3 playbooks.

I would say it has increased my upfront time, but it should make things easier during the game. My first scrimmage was yesterday and it was very easy to pick the defense apart with plays designed specifically to be used against it. Almost too easy; I thought maybe my defense was just not playing well. Eventually my DC started changing defenses on me between plays and they did a much better job of stopping me. That brings me to another subject, about switching defenses to disrupt the offense. I've been preparing to do that this season too.

<br />This year when I was designing my plays I decided to create 3 separate playbooks. We typically encounter one of 3 defenses and each one presents a very unique set of strengths and weaknesses. In our league, the 1-1-3 is the most popular, followed by the 2-1-2 and finally man. There are variations of those defenses but for the majority of our games, that's what we faced. <br /><br />When I began drawing up my basic end around, I noticed that I wanted my players to do different things depending on how the defense was lined up. For example, against the 1-1-3 I want my runner to go wide towards the sideline. The receiver on that side should run a flag to pull the defender out of the way. Against a 2-1-2 I want my runner cutting back inside because that is where the open space is. Against man I want the runner hitting outside but I also want all the receivers going to the other side of the field to clear out. That's when I realized I needed 3 separate playbooks. Same basic plays with different variations. Also, some plays are effective against certain defenses but ineffective against others. So I took the time to create 3 playbooks.<br /><br />I would say it has increased my upfront time, but it should make things easier during the game. My first scrimmage was yesterday and it was very easy to pick the defense apart with plays designed specifically to be used against it. Almost too easy; I thought maybe my defense was just not playing well. Eventually my DC started changing defenses on me between plays and they did a much better job of stopping me. That brings me to another subject, about switching defenses to disrupt the offense. I've been preparing to do that this season too.<br />

Orange that sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing you used the same plays for all 3 playbooks (maybe just removing the ones you thought would be innefective against a particular defense), and then showed clearly what areas of the filed you were trying to attack? Can you post a couple of examples? I have been struggling to do something similar in my own playbook. What I have done up to now is make a note beside each play of what defenses that play would work best against, but I like your idea.

Orange that sounds like a great idea. I'm guessing you used the same plays for all 3 playbooks (maybe just removing the ones you thought would be innefective against a particular defense), and then showed clearly what areas of the filed you were trying to attack? Can you post a couple of examples? I have been struggling to do something similar in my own playbook. What I have done up to now is make a note beside each play of what defenses that play would work best against, but I like your idea.

I kind of use the same plays. The real difference is the way I'm attacking the defense. There is a certain amount of overlap but also some differences. Here is a quick example of my balanced formation against the 2-1-2 and man defenses.

Edit: Added my balanced formation against 1-1-3 defense.

Balanced_2_1_2.bmp

Balanced_Man.bmp

Balanced_1_1_3__1_.bmp